Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a perfectly legal H&H USP Compact that I purchased from a Police supply dealer. There is nothing different from any other USP other than it is stamped LEO Only as are the hi cap mags. I do worry a little when carrying it if I was challenged by some unimformed LEO. Has anyone had any encounters with handguns or mags marked LEO only?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
It shouldn't matter what's stamped on the gun if its legal. There aren't special restrictions when buying used guns that were issued to police. It's probably similar to ammo. I buy Federal HiShock for LEO from ammo stores that got it from canceled police orders. Try calling HK and ask what the difference is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
During the federal AWB (1994-2004) new high-capacity magazines were marked gov't/LEO only. Also, some "AWS" were marked similarly that were sold to the police/gov't. Now you can ignore the markings, they are perfectly legal to own.

Also, I suspect that some companies may voluntarily mark some guns/mag LEO only because they are more on the anti-civilian ownership side of things. They might contract out a bunch of EBRs or HCMs to a police department, but they don't like such weapons in the hands of civilians. Not law, but policy. So they may mark them. Legal for civilians anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
As much as I love HK, they tend to do this a lot with their weapons. They have only recently been entertaining the civilian market. Have you noticed you cannot buy a HKG36 or HK416? They only recently came out with a HK416 like weapon for civilians. As far as the G36 goes you have to make your own with an SL8.

Before they came out with the civilian HK416 you had to get an AR15 lower and just attach the HK416 upper which priced at $2500+.

Also, I think most EOTECHs I have seen have the same markings as well.
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,110 Posts
I wonder-- if you were found in possession of a gun marked "Property of Timbuktu P.D." could a cop detain you to investigate whether this was a stolen gun? Maybe confiscate it and make you prove it's yours legally to get it back?

Anyhow, if the weapon or magazine is simply marked "Law Enforcement Only" then you can explain to anybody who challenges your right to have it that this language only applied 1994-2004 when that federal law was in effect. Not now, at least not in most states.
 

·
I watch the watchers
Joined
·
12,883 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I wonder-- if you were found in possession of a gun marked "Property of Timbuktu P.D." could a cop detain you to investigate whether this was a stolen gun? Maybe confiscate it and make you prove it's yours legally to get it back?

Anyhow, if the weapon or magazine is simply marked "Law Enforcement Only" then you can explain to anybody who challenges your right to have it that this language only applied 1994-2004 when that federal law was in effect. Not now, at least not in most states.
What if they had a M1903A3 marked "Property U.S. Gov't", or a camera marked "Property of Luna Authority, unauthorized use prohibited?" Is it ever the accused's responsibility to prove innocence?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
I'm going to stamp "For use only by Double Top Secret Special Ninja Pirate Forces" on all my firearms. Does that mean I can no longer use them? :shattered:



It's just a stamp, folks.
 

·
I watch the watchers
Joined
·
12,883 Posts
I've already heard/seen AR-15's with "For Homeland Defense Only" engraved on the mag well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
There is no law against owning any LEO marked weapon or magazine. The "LE Only" magazine crap died with the assault weapons ban.

On a side note H&K has never been real civilian friendly which is why I do not stock their products anymore. I will gladly order anything you want but I will NOT stock them until they change their practices toward "lowly civilians".
 

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
How about something like a Glock 28 (.380ACP)? Per Glock's website:

For US market: Law Enforcement and Goverment Agency sales only
Subject to technical changes
If this came up for sale as surplus, or on the second-hand market could a civilian legally purchase it?

Are there rules in place that would prevent something like this from being sold as surplus/second-hand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
HydroAuto said:
How about something like a Glock 28 (.380ACP)? Per Glock's website:

For US market: Law Enforcement and Goverment Agency sales only
Subject to technical changes
If this came up for sale as surplus, or on the second-hand market could a civilian legally purchase it?

Are there rules in place that would prevent something like this from being sold as surplus/second-hand?
Nope. If it was imported legally (a VERY expensive proposition) and if said agency were to resell it used it would be legal to own. The problem is that Glock usually does the LEO buybacks/trades and Glock would receive it and ship it back abroad. The agency would have to direct sell the gun (or lot) to the civilian market. Which never happens because it costs too much for any agency to do that..and considering it is a .380 that is the same size as the g26/27 why would they bother? More cost with less power is a losing proposition.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,120 Posts
Who is H&H?

:shattered:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
Archangel said:
Who is H&H?

:shattered:
The mistake is that most of us assumed (read a$$ out of "U" and "me") that he meant H&K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
mathar1 said:
HydroAuto said:
How about something like a Glock 28 (.380ACP)? Per Glock's website:

For US market: Law Enforcement and Goverment Agency sales only
Subject to technical changes
If this came up for sale as surplus, or on the second-hand market could a civilian legally purchase it?

Are there rules in place that would prevent something like this from being sold as surplus/second-hand?
Nope. If it was imported legally (a VERY expensive proposition) and if said agency were to resell it used it would be legal to own. The problem is that Glock usually does the LEO buybacks/trades and Glock would receive it and ship it back abroad. The agency would have to direct sell the gun (or lot) to the civilian market. Which never happens because it costs too much for any agency to do that..and considering it is a .380 that is the same size as the g26/27 why would they bother? More cost with less power is a losing proposition.
.380 Glocks are not importable for civilians as far as I've read but if a LEO department decided to sell them I think a civilian could then legally own one.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
The ammo I carry is made for LEO, guess I better not shoot anyone with them. :shattered:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
mathar1 said:
There is no law against owning any LEO marked weapon or magazine. The "LE Only" magazine crap died with the assault weapons ban.

On a side note H&K has never been real civilian friendly which is why I do not stock their products anymore. I will gladly order anything you want but I will NOT stock them until they change their practices toward "lowly civilians".
Thank you for that. :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
mathar1 said:
HydroAuto said:
How about something like a Glock 28 (.380ACP)? Per Glock's website:

For US market: Law Enforcement and Goverment Agency sales only
Subject to technical changes
If this came up for sale as surplus, or on the second-hand market could a civilian legally purchase it?

Are there rules in place that would prevent something like this from being sold as surplus/second-hand?
Nope. If it was imported legally (a VERY expensive proposition) and if said agency were to resell it used it would be legal to own. The problem is that Glock usually does the LEO buybacks/trades and Glock would receive it and ship it back abroad. The agency would have to direct sell the gun (or lot) to the civilian market. Which never happens because it costs too much for any agency to do that..and considering it is a .380 that is the same size as the g26/27 why would they bother? More cost with less power is a losing proposition.
.380 Glocks are not importable for civilians as far as I've read but if a LEO department decided to sell them I think a civilian could then legally own one.
There are a few .380 Glocks in civilian hands. It happens as spelled out above. Usually it's a PD that sells them as surplus or a PD orders for an officer and the officer leaves/retires and sells the gun. Any that go back to Glock sit in a safe for show and tell. The G28 is the more popular model. Finding a G25 is tricky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
MrMorden said:
mathar1 said:
There is no law against owning any LEO marked weapon or magazine. The "LE Only" magazine crap died with the assault weapons ban.

On a side note H&K has never been real civilian friendly which is why I do not stock their products anymore. I will gladly order anything you want but I will NOT stock them until they change their practices toward "lowly civilians".
Thank you for that. :righton:
It's tilting at windmills. H&K could care less BUT I care and yes I know they are made in SC and yes they make the civilian pistols now..BUT their carbines are still no-no so f$%k them. Until they stop treating civilians like potential terrorists I refuse to do any business with them.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top