Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't determine which category this should fall under since this is a non-ecountern. so I will leave it to the moderator to decide.

I was running several errands after work today with the last stop being the Publix at Powder Springs road and New Macland. I was picking up a few items for dinner when I noticed a male police officer in uniform shopping. Anytime I see someone with a holster I naturally observe what kind of sidearm they are carrying.

To my surprise and curiosity, I saw that the holster was empty. I couldn't see which department he was from and I resisted engaging him in conversation as the store was packed with customers and this was this my fourth stop on my way home, and he looked that he had a long day as well.

I am curious if there is some sort of police department policy when off duty and I can't remember if Publix has a 'suggested' no open carry request. Although LEO has cart blanche to carry pretty much anywhere, I found it odd that he was unarmed.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
That would surprise me muchly. Are you sure he was LEO and not some contract agency type uniform. Many of those are intended to substantially mimic cop uniforms.

Nemo

Reactions: Jonathan Freeman

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure that he was regular LEO. Where I work, both police and security people come through our store. I did a double take when I first saw him, noting his uniform. Doubt anyone but LEO can wear a POLICE back patch. I really wanted to work my way towards him but he was moving at a brisk pace.

Still a weird experience.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
If you are that confident there is only one answer. Mens room. Go check.

Nemo

• Haha
Reactions: Jonathan Freeman

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
An empty holster could mean he works for the city of Atlanta. They have convicted felons as officers and can only carry a weapon while on duty and when they clock out they have to lock them up at the station.

• Wow
Reactions: Phil1979

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
Is this in the news somewhere? If not, it should be!

An empty holster could mean he works for the city of Atlanta. They have convicted felons as officers and can only carry a weapon while on duty and when they clock out they have to lock them up at the station.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
They have convicted felons as officers and can only carry a weapon while on duty and when they clock out they have to lock them up at the station.

Please provide some verification of that. If that is accurate it means APD is violating federal law by arming convicted felons.

Nemo

Reactions: TimBob and Phil1979

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Well I can tell you it’s not Publix policy too turn open carriers away, especially an LEO

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I can’t prove it anymore. It was in the paper and on the news 20 to 25 years ago. I searched the internet and online for two or three hours and couldn’t find a trace of it, but I remember it well. It was in another time when Atlanta couldn’t get officers. They were desperate for patrol officers. They hired about 20 or so if I recall correctly.
You can believe it or not. You’re choice. I can’t prove it either way. I sure have no clue whether it still happens or not.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,425 Posts
I remember something very similar from 10-ish years ago. It was said that some APD LEO couldn’t have a GFL at the time, but could carry on duty.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
It's been said many times that some police officers are ineligible for a GWCL, but I don't think that implied because of felony convictions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts