LEO/Legal Eagle ? What to do with sidearm.......

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by seereus, Jan 15, 2011.

1. seereus

seereus Active Member

If involved in a shooting and LEO are coming to scene, what should one do with there sidearm?

Reholster it?

Remove mag and clear, lay it on the ground or on car etc....

2. JMan

JMan New Member

Re: LEO/Legal Eagle ?

Go hide it because I am pretty sure they will keep it until it's proven self defensive and some cases takes a year ish

3. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Hide it :lol: . Just kidding i would clear it nad place it in clear site. You will probaly lose it as i havent seen many people get their guns returned without a fight. It is usually cheaper to buy another after cleared.

4. seereus

seereus Active Member

Wonder if the guy involved in the Conyers shooting at Ingles had his confiscated.

5. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

If it was used in a shooting i bet it was. They have to take it for ballistics and such. If your gun is used in self-defense it is almost always consiscated.It is place in the evidence locker until the decision is made to proscute or not.

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Re-holster it as is, in case it's needed again before they get there.

7. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

it was. I offered him another one, but he already had it covered

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

A related question, if you shoot a home invader, even though the gun you used is in plain sight when the police get there, can they legally search your house for more weapons and confiscate them as possible evidence? Will they take your word that no other gun was used to defend yourself?

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

There's nobody like you, Sheriff! Cloning operations are underway. Thanks!

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Wave it in the air while screeming at the top of your lungs I have a gun and am I free to go! Be sure to correct the grammar of the police.

Or hold it in your hand at your side while wearing reflective clothing (for safety of course), while walking in the correct direction of traffic.

11. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

This topic has always bothered me too. I'm pretty sure I deterred a robbery tonight at a gas station (subject for another day) but I think about this a lot. What happens to me? What happens to my firearm? Do I get "confiscated" too and hauled off to jail until the investigation is complete? Do I get cuffed at the scene? All things to think about - but as I told someone tonight, the old saying holds true... It's best to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

12. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

This. Only don't go reaching for it to hand it over... :shattered:

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Was it Grunt or Phaed that shot someone for breaking into his house? IIRC, they did not confiscate his SKS.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I though they did take phaed's gun but then he got it back.

15. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I carry a can of orange spray paint with me just in case. Before the cops arrive, give your sidearm a quick coat of orange paint; fools 'em every time.

Az

16. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

This. They did take it, but "phaed" was in the process of moving to Arizona. When they were done with it, they shipped it out to the Sheriff there, and then "phaed" stopped in and picked it up. No questions ask.

17. moga

moga New Member

Count on it. No need to get pissed about being cuffed and stuffed for a while. I don't like hostile treatment by the police any more than anyone else but until the details of a shooting are sorted, the victim is treated like a murder suspect, especially if the aggressor is gravely injured or DRT. Think about it: lots of people have attempted to mask their true intentions by claiming to be a victim when there's a body headed for the morgue. The cops have got to be sure.

My SOP calls for the firearm to be holstered and to calmly await further instruction by the responding agency.

18. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach New Member

I reholstered and asked dispatch to inform the responding officer of what I was wearing, what I looked like, and where on my body the gun was holstered. It was never an issue. I assume I was allowed to keep it since it was a pitbull I shot (even though I was at a state park) and the owner dragged the dog off and hit the road before the cops got there. I would imagine that if you are forced to shoot a person, that your gun will be taken for ballistic matching.

But always, ALWAYS, tell dispatch who you are, what you look like, what you're wearing, and where the gun is. Make sure you tell the first officer on the scene who you are when he/she arrives.

19. AV8R

AV8R Banned

THIS!

No matter who calls, they must give a description of the good guy.

20. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

I've never even thought of that. Excellent point.