LEO demands removal of sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by futureusr, Jan 31, 2011.

1. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Let me preface that I never drive drunk or otherwise intoxicated and I dislike fishing expeditions, LEO intimidation or the violation of citizens rights.

My question is if a LEO demands the removal of sunglasses during a traffic stop or other such encounter is this a lawful directive? I feel that it would not be but I am unsure. I have searched the forum and can not find this discussed previously.

I am aware of the right to remain silent and to refuse any questioning except for name and address. I am also aware of the right to refuse any searches or field sobriety testing and would only submit to searches or sobriety testing post arrest.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

2. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I'd say no because then it wouldn't be in plain sight.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Take off glasses ... make wild-eyes
    [​IMG]

... oh..and Smile! be polite.

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

The bank I used to go into told me I had to remove my dark glasses to do business in their building. (Washington Mutual used to hold my mortgage, because they bought it.)

I siad, "How about, NO!?"

"Then leave."

"OK, but I cannot see where that door is without my glasses..."

I'd tell a cop the same thing.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I think the eyes are the strongest identifying features on our face. The officer likely has your DL in his hand. He's trying to verify your identity, and your photo wasn't taken with sunglasses on. Just sayin. If your prescription glasses aren't required for driving, they won't even let you wear them for your photo. I just had mine done a few weeks ago.

6. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I'm not sure of the legality of making you remove your sunglasses. I would like to know a definitive answer myself. Most LEO's wear sunglasses so you can't see their eyes. The eyes can tell a lot about a person and what they are feeling or about to do. It's important to them to be able to see into your eyes and you not see into theirs. I sure would like for some LEO to expand on this issue because I've often wondered also.

7. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

It's all about control. It always is.

8. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Yup... always.

I do not need my glasses for driving, just for seeing my speedometer and fuel status.

Somebody please cite the Georgia Code section for "Must remove dark glasses upon request"

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

If this is in GA and an officer had PC to pull you over, an officer can arrest you for any traffic violation. I suspect if you don't comply with the sunglasses request, the officer will simply arrest you for the traffic violation and then remove the sunglasses.

10. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Or do whatever else they wanted to do to you......since you have no rights and are at their mercy....

11. Mrs_Esterhouse

...and if it's APD's Red Dog unit, you get a complimentary ball juggling.

12. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Maybe he just wanted to be sure you weren't hiding laser beams behind them... :screwy:

13. zeebo

zeebo New Member

Yeah, the leo better be careful, he might pull over cyclops from X-men. :shock:

14. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I am not so sure that an officer can arrest you for a traffic cite to that extent. Legacy responded to that in this thread, and he is correct. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54790&hilit=arrest

What is more likely, he's going to have a problem with one of the S&Ws on my hip, the Ruger in my pocket, and the Berretta in the small of my back.... That, from my experience, will be the cause of my sporting silver manacles, not the "Go pound sand, I am not going to take off my glasses for you, cuz I still need to be able to clear my handguns if you don't know how..." statement I make just before that event...

YMMV....

15. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The law views an issuance of a ticket as an "arrest". If he takes you to jail for a minor traffic offense just because you wouldn't remove your sunglasses is over the top, and you may have legal recourse. Of course, this is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer.

16. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

I had that happen to me a few years ago but it was CBSA who told me to take off my sunglasses.

17. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Canada Border Services Agency?

18. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

close eyes then remove glasses

19. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

Correct. It was in Sarnia abt 4 years ago...i got pulled over into secondary to get my vehicle searched...

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Well, the arrest reason, of course, would be the traffic violation, not the sunglasses... The real reason would be the shades.