Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to preface this by leaving out the city because it's a small town and I don't want to quote anyone without thier consent. A friend of mine is a deputy, and another friend is a city cop. We were talking, and I showed them my new .380. 90% of the time, I carry either the .380 or a NAA .22 mag mini revolver. I do have a couple of 1911's and a glock. They started razzin' me about carrying the smaller ones when I have .45's sitting in the house. I said "because they are more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal." They said "so what's your point, just OC them then?" One said "that's like riding a moped when you have a Harley in the garage". Then they asked why I even paid for a permit if I'm not going to use it (OC). Some more comments were made about trading them the .45's for a pocket knife or slingshot (because they are even easier to conceal). It was all in fun, but it made me feel good to know thier point of view on OC.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
So your cured, then? OC the big 'uns... :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Runn'n&Gunn'n said:
I'm going to preface this by leaving out the city because it's a small town and I don't want to quote anyone without thier consent. A friend of mine is a deputy, and another friend is a city cop. We were talking, and I showed them my new .380. 90% of the time, I carry either the .380 or a NAA .22 mag mini revolver. I do have a couple of 1911's and a glock. They started razzin' me about carrying the smaller ones when I have .45's sitting in the house. I said "because they are more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal." They said "so what's your point, just OC them then?" One said "that's like riding a moped when you have a Harley in the garage". Then they asked why I even paid for a permit if I'm not going to use it (OC). Some more comments were made about trading them the .45's for a pocket knife or slingshot (because they are even easier to conceal). It was all in fun, but it made me feel good to know thier point of view on OC.
Wow.... guess your county issues those elusive Open Carry permits... 'cause we all know that CC is legal w/o.. :shock:

btw - we heard similar very strange comments while at the recruiting table this past weekend... "OC is legal w/o a permit", or "you only need a permit to OC" and folks were telling us they got some of these conflicting answers from LEO's...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
BG_Atl said:
[quote="Runn'n&Gunn'n":2odsdo69]I'm going to preface this by leaving out the city because it's a small town and I don't want to quote anyone without thier consent. A friend of mine is a deputy, and another friend is a city cop. We were talking, and I showed them my new .380. 90% of the time, I carry either the .380 or a NAA .22 mag mini revolver. I do have a couple of 1911's and a glock. They started razzin' me about carrying the smaller ones when I have .45's sitting in the house. I said "because they are more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal." They said "so what's your point, just OC them then?" One said "that's like riding a moped when you have a Harley in the garage". Then they asked why I even paid for a permit if I'm not going to use it (OC). Some more comments were made about trading them the .45's for a pocket knife or slingshot (because they are even easier to conceal). It was all in fun, but it made me feel good to know thier point of view on OC.
Wow.... guess your county issues those elusive Open Carry permits... 'cause we all know that CC is legal w/o.. :shock:

btw - we heard similar very strange comments while at the recruiting table this past weekend... "OC is legal w/o a permit", or "you only need a permit to OC" and folks were telling us they got some of these conflicting answers from LEO's...[/quote:2odsdo69]

I interpreted this differently. My take from the OP was the LEOs thought he should carry the correct gun, versus just carrying a mouse gun because he could comfortably conceal it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hock25 said:
I interpreted this differently. My take from the OP was the LEOs thought he should carry the correct gun, versus just carrying a mouse gun because he could comfortably conceal it.
I got that part too... but either one still requires a GWL and the statement (as relayed) would seem to indicate an alternate opinion... supported by what is passed on at the shows

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
BG_Atl said:
btw - we heard similar very strange comments while at the recruiting table this past weekend... "OC is legal w/o a permit", or "you only need a permit to OC" and folks were telling us they got some of these conflicting answers from LEO's...
The guys who manned the NRA table, at one of our last shows in Augusta, were telling everyone that OC was legal without a license. :screwy:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hock25 said:
I agree. I think the LEOs were saying...Look your permit allows you to OC as well as CC, so why would you restrict yourself to the smaller caliber guns just because they are easier to conceal. Carry what you feel safe with even if you have to OC it. The weapons permit allows you to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ET. said:
Hock25 said:
I agree. I think the LEOs were saying...Look your permit allows you to OC as well as CC, so why would you restrict yourself to the smaller caliber guns just because they are easier to conceal. Carry what you feel safe with even if you have to OC it. The weapons permit allows you to do it.
This is correct--they are pro-carry period, and couldn't understand why I would go with less gun just because I wouldn't OC.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,855 Posts
Better to have a big gun and not need it, than to have a little gun and need the big one. :lol:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Sounds like very good LEOs to me! :righton:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
yeah, its hard to conceal a hogleg!

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
CountryGun said:
BG_Atl said:
The guys who manned the NRA table, at one of our last shows in Augusta, were telling everyone that OC was legal without a license. :screwy:
I have heard the same thing from atleast one person at every gun show I've worked :screwy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts