Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the increase in fees associated with obtaining a GWCL, it has become more and more difficult to fit into my tight budget. Of course, I will always squeeze every penny to keep my permit active, but why does the permit only last five years? If we, as permit holders, have passed a background check and nothing changes, then why must we undergo more check every five years?

Ten years would be better, or even fifteen years. For the cost, it would be more cost effective for both citizens and the State to increase the periods between background checks. I know that probate judges might not be happy with losing that source of income, at least at the current levels. I just do not believe that that source of income is so great that reducing it would make any difference. If any GWCL is ever arrested and convicted of criminal activity(violent misdemeanor, or felony), then would the court not force the surrender or the person's GWCL?

If law enforcement officers are able to possess their Peace Officer Certifications for life, then why shouldn't the same standard be applied to citizens? Aside from the 20 hours of training per year, law enforcement agencies are not required to re-certify their officers every five years. Perhaps that could be something that GCO, and other organizations work on in the coming years.

I find it appalling that we have to pay to exercise a legal right, but it is what it is. Seeing as there is not a hardship option for the poor people among us(do not take that as a slight, as I am probably one of the poorest here right now), there should be more done to protect law-abiding citizens who are on the cusp of being financially incapable of paying to exercise their right(s).

I sincerely apologize if this topic has been talked about to the point that people might be tired of seeing it(I am not sure if it has, but I have seen comments on this issue in other posts). I just wonder why, in the face of the greatly increased costs to the license holder and delays on issuance, in some counties, that the length of license validity has not be increased.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
If it is valid for longer than it is, the BATFE will not accept it as a valid substitute for a background check when purchasing a firearm.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Adam5 said:
If it is valid for longer than it is, the BATFE will not accept it as a valid substitute for a background check when purchasing a firearm.
This.

5 years in the limit for the BATFE to allow it to be used in place of the background-check when purchasing a firearm.

Florida's is for 7 years but it can't be used for the background-check when purchasing a firearm.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
But a background check doesn't cost anything, using a GWL as a background check bypass is merely a convenience. ASSUMING we have to have a GWL at all, why can't it be like a driver's license where once you get it you keep it until you do something to lose it? Of course this would mean it would most likely be a state issued license, with a centralized database, so that when any LEO caught you breaking the law they'd know who you were and where to find you.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
HydroAuto said:
But a background check doesn't cost anything, using a GWL as a background check bypass is merely a convenience. ASSUMING we have to have a GWL at all, why can't it be like a driver's license where once you get it you keep it until you do something to lose it? Of course this would mean it would most likely be a state issued license, with a centralized database, so that when any LEO caught you breaking the law they'd know who you were and where to find you.
We may as well start registering our firearms too. :screwy:

No Thanks.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
"They" already know who you are and where to find you through the current system, at most it takes a phone call or email. And I agree with the "no thanks". I'd prefer this right were not a "permitted" at all in the first place. I suppose we could retain the current county based system and still have a GWL system similar to GADL. After all, it just takes a phone call/email from the state or Fed to the county to let them know you're ineligible. Whether "they" know to make that call is another question though.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I don't think there is any mechanism in place for cops or prosecutors to notify the Probate Court if you were arrested or declared mentally incompetent or otherwise became ineligible to keep your GFL / GWL.

Suppose our carry permits didn't have an expiration. They were lifetime-- "Good Until Revoked." You can't assume that a person who was qualified for, and received, a GFL back in Troup County in 1998 is STILL a law-abiding and fully qualified citizen today, 13 years later. They might have done something bad over that long span of time. And Troup County authorities might not have the latest info on this person's criminal history, mental issues, or other possible problems, because this citizen may have left Troup County in 1999 and since then lived in 3 other counties spread out all across the State of Georgia. But there's no requirement to change your license when you change addresses.... right?

The 5-year period between mandatory renewals seems like a reasonable way to periodically check a person's status and make sure they're still qualified.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
When I was a prosecutor, we almost NEVER inquired with the Probate Court to see if some defendant had a gun carry permit. I may have checked once on a person accused of (and arrested for) felony aggravated stalking in a domestic violence case. And since his wife (the victim) told me that they were longtime residents of this particular county, I knew that only this county and no other county would be the one to check for a GFL. And if memory serves, he DIDN'T have a GFL. Maybe he'd been in the habit of carrying one illegally?

Generally, the only way cops, prosecutors, or judges know that a criminal defendant owns firearms or has a carry permit would be one of these three ways:

1-- The person is actually carrying a gun at the time of the arrest, and either right there in the field or soon afterward they announce they have a gun carry permit and offer to show it to the cops / prosecutors to get the gun charge dropped.

2-- The person had a GFL in their wallet, even if they were not carrying a gun that day, but the entire contents of the wallet were inventoried and inspected as a search incidental to arrest and a jail booking inventory search.

3-- The victim of the crime knows the offender well, and tells the cops or the prosecutor's office that the offender has a GFL and is known to carry handguns. And our usual response to that would be to tell the victim that the Probate Court is the entity that issues that kind of license, so if you don't think he should have the license anymore, feel free to suggest that to the Probate Court. Oh, and if the person wasn't already out on bond, we'd try to make it a "special condition of bond" that he not possess any weapons (if it were a violent crime or one with stalking, threats, etc.). The judges would NOT always go along with this, however.

P.S. On those rare occasions when the Probate Court would contact me at the DA's office to inquire about the disposition of a case on some citizen who was applying to get or renew their GFL, I never found the citizen to be disqualified. These applicants all had their felony charges dropped entirely or plea-bargained down to the kind of misdemeanor that would not render them statutorily ineligible for a carry permit.

(That's not to say that all "gun owners" knew whether or not they were prohibited persons. We had many cases of convicted felons who were later found with guns and they said "I thought I got my gun rights back when my probation was finished!" WRONG. But they were not permit holders.

Among the GFL holders or applicants I had to deal with, they all correctly knew their status and were eligible.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I don't think there is any mechanism in place for cops or prosecutors to notify the Probate Court if you were arrested or declared mentally incompetent or otherwise became ineligible to keep your GFL / GWL.
Do you think establishing a mechanism would be worth the effort? What, if any, drawbacks would there be to putting a system in place to do this?

As it stands right now a person could be issued a GWL on a given day and immediately thereafter and for the next five years commit (and be charged/convicted of) a disqualifying act but still be able to go to a FFL and purchase a firearm because this mechanism is not in place.

Back to the topic at hand, of what benefit is having the GWL substitute as a background check? Saves the buyer & FFL a little time? What else?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Having a state carry permit saves the buyer the FEES that FFL dealers will charge you for the background check, if they have to do one on you. (I have no clue how much the fees are. Never paid one!)

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Ok, so there is a monetary savings to be had. I've never paid a background check fee either.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Having a state carry permit saves the buyer the FEES that FFL dealers will charge you for the background check, if they have to do one on you. (I have no clue how much the fees are. Never paid one!)
You have paid it every time you got a NEW gun. In any normal gun business that cost is figured into the CDB. (Cost of doing business= it is added to dealer cost to cover it along with shipping cost/receiving time, power bill, insurance, employee salaries,taxes and profit margin)

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
IF there is going to be a license, it seems that you should have to renew just so they can do a new check on you every so often. 5 years is a little too short, it should be 10 years like DLs and passports. Unfortunatly, the feds don't agree when it comes to bypassing the BG check.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
mathar1 said:
gunsmoker said:
You have paid it every time you got a NEW gun. In any normal gun business that cost is figured into the CDB. (Cost of doing business= it is added to dealer cost to cover it along with shipping cost/receiving time, power bill, insurance, employee salaries,taxes and profit margin)
I've never had to pay an extra fee for a background check, but at least 1 store I know of will give you $5 if you have a GWL since it saves them the time of sitting on the phone for the check (I've seen sales people sit on the phone for a good minute on those checks before).

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
dcannon1 said:
mathar1 said:
gunsmoker said:
I've never had to pay an extra fee for a background check, but at least 1 store I know of will give you $5 if you have a GWL since it saves them the time of sitting on the phone for the check (I've seen sales people sit on the phone for a good minute on those checks before).
That's usually what we do (in negotiating price we always ask first)..but there are others that charge $5 for a background check even if you have a GWL (Bass Pro to name one).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts