Legislative sessions?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Adam5, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Does the GA Legislature have one or sessions per year?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

And our taxes pay them how much money to essentially do their jobs for 40 days a year? I know they work when not in session, but you know what I mean.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

“No man’s life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in sessionâ€

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The session lasts two years. We are in the first year of a two year session. Last year was the last year of a two year session. That does not mean they are in session for the entire two years, of course, but bills get sent back to the recommending committees if they do not make it out of the chamber, where they will be waiting in 2008.

I do not know whether that is the information you were seeking, but it will help someone someday, I think.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

So, that means that if a bill doesn't get out of committee this year (session), it will remain in limbo until next year where it has a second chance? So, unless it actually gets voted on and defeated it still stands a chance?

It sure doesn't seem like they allow much time to debate and vote on all of these bills. What the heck do they do the rest of the year?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member