Legalities of carrying OC/Pepper spray

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Maveri9720, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

I am trying to find out what the legal limits are for carrying OC spray. The only thing I have found is on OC's websites, saying that you can't carry on a plane b/c it is considered HazMat.

This is in relation to where I can and can't carry OC.

Can anyone point to a resource or let me know what other people have found out?

Thanks,

Mitch

2. R65

R65 New Member

They sell this stuff in hardwares stores and gas stations. Carry yours like mine; in a pocket and with no concern of the good guys hassling you.

3. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

Yea, I actually called the Sheriff's Office today and talked to a clueless detective. Kinda disappointing, but he referred me to georgia.gov and I searched and searched there and found nothing regulating carrying OC spray.

So, as far as I am concerned, I researched and I called the PD. I have done my part and I feel perfectly legal carrying it in my pocket wherever I go.

Thanks.

4. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Nothing on GA specifically but:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/pepper-spray.html

When I was in college in Indiana back in the early 90s, I recall female students carrying OC canisters attached to their key ring all the time: in class, in bars, in restaurants, everywhere. The question of legality was never brought up.

I constantly encourage my wife to carry some type of weapon for self-defense. Firearm...never. Pocket knife...never. OC spray...never. Collapsable baton: occasionally (when she walks the dog alone). I reminded her our dog was attacked by another dog when I was walking it one time. Fortunately a good kick from me ended the attack, but every since I have carried the baton.

Oh, and we occasionally review some hand-to-hand self-defense techniques. She finds that quite acceptable.

5. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

I actually had come across that website myself while searching. Thanks for the link though.

I just got my wife to start carrying OC spray wherever she goes. I also put a keychain bottle of OC spray on her keys. So now she has a 2oz bottle in her purse and the smaller one on her keys.

We had the same problem with dogs attacking our dogs when she takes them for walks. So now she will carry a third bottle that's in a nylon clip holster she can just attach to her shorts, since she won't be carrying her purse or keys.

I won't let my wife carry a gun or knife either. If I gave her a baton, she would probably knock herself out. OC spray is as much as I can give her.

But, I do make her watch clips about people not paying attention, but not doing anything wrong, get beat up or mugged or killed, b/c they were easy targets. Also, try to point out local news about armed robberies and murders to try to keep her on her toes about what is going on around her.

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Why do you restrict your wife? If it's a matter of skills just get her into a course, or teach her yourself. I taught my wife about personal defense while we were dating and now the only problem there will be if someone breaks into our house will be an argument between me and her over who had the better shot grouping!

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is that what you meant to write?

Is she a convicted felon or something?

8. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

No, she isn't a convicted felon.

Carrying a gun is not for everyone. No, I am not some sort of controlling freak either, but it isn't for my wife.

She is happy with the OC spray and I am happy she has it.

Also, she is a school teacher, so she couldn't carry a knife, baton, gun to work with her.

This topic was started to find the legal ramifications of carrying OC spray, not to judge me and my wife on whether or not she carries a gun.

9. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

Also, I will be teaching her how to shoot and let her shoot my carry gun and the HD shotgun, so she is familiar with it, just in case something happens and I am not there.

I'm not comfortable and she is extremely not comfortable carrying more than OC spray.

Alright, I'm done being off topic now.

Thanks

10. USMC - Retired

Maveri9720,
    Speaking for myself, I was not judging you and your wife. I was simply trying to offer a bit of advice that worked for me and my wife. My wife knew nothing about guns when we met and at that time I would have been concerned about handing her one as well. I thought that you might be in the same boat and thought that relating our experience may help you and your wife. Sorry to have come accross the wrong way, like I said I in no way meant to judge you on your choice. I'm sure MP was just aplying a bit of humor to it as well, he don't strike me as the judgemental kind...

11. Taler

Taler New Member

Hi Mav,

Though my wife grew up around long guns, she never touched one, let alone a pistol, until a couple of years ago.

She is small in stature, and consequently aware of her surroundings and company at all times. On the other hand, she is now very proud of the groups on her target(s). Around the house, she keeps her .380 nearby.

Hope your wife comes around... Not only is it safer, but as you know, its tons of fun.

T

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I'm badder than ol' King Kong,

and meaner than a junkyard dog . . .

:evil:

13. USMC - Retired

Fixed it for ya MP... :lol: