Legal to carry handgun into a shooting range without CWL?

Discussion in 'Training' started by neil0311, Aug 12, 2020.

1. neil0311

neil0311 New Member

My wife and I have applied for our WCLs in Cobb Co and are waiting for them to arrive in the mail. Am I correct that in GA you are legal to transport your pistol in a case in the trunk and carry it into the range and practice at the range?

The range hasn't said anything to me and asked when we joined if we had a WCL we said we had applied but didn't yet have them. We moved here from a non-reciprocity state.

Just want to be sure I'm not committing a felony carrying into the range, unloaded in a case, in a backpack. Thanks!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You are good to go.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
    . . .

(f)(1) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(2) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is otherwise engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting on recreational or wildlife management areas owned by this state may have or carry on his or her person a knife without a valid weapons carry license while engaging in such hunting, fishing, or sport shooting.

3. neil0311

neil0311 New Member

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response. I figured that was the case. The laws here are sane and rational.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't think you should count on the exception for persons "engaged in sport shooting" (Paragraph "f" above) when your carrying your gun through a public parking lot or sidewalk in close proximity to a shooting range.
    A left-leaning progressive, or a law-and-order iron-fisted conservative, could say that you were not yet engaged in that activity.

I'd primarily rely on Code section 16-11-126 (c), which covers unloaded guns in cases or other transportation containers, and it's not at all limited to being at a certain place or actually doing a certain activity.

"(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded."

5. neil0311

neil0311 New Member

Understood, and this will only be an issue for a 2-3 more weeks until the WCL is issued. We’re talking a 20 foot walk from my car to the range door. If a cop was standing there and just decided to search me without cause, there would be a 4A issue.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

gunsmoker likes this.
  8. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

No, really, you are good to go. Reread the portion that Malum wrote above. And please read the pertinent law yourself. The paragraph, by itself, means you can carry a cased, unloaded handgun around, with no GWCL. Full stop. Here is that part of the statute again:

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

Many unlicensed gun owners every day, sometimes in full view of police officers, carry their cased, unloaded guns to and from shooting ranges all over the state, including where I work. It is quite legal. If it weren't legal, we would certainly know about it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    gunsmoker and Jonathan Freeman like this.
  9. neil0311

neil0311 New Member

Thanks everyone. I’ll check out membership.

StarJack likes this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Membership here primarily!

Nemo