Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into getting an AK for about a year now, but I have personally done no research. I have a friend of the family that buys, sells, and trades guns and he told me that he'd start looking for me. He never actually told me though if my purchase is going to be legal, and if I have to register it, or even if I could register it if I wanted too.

Thanks,
Countysky
Internet Satellite Provider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
That depends on your definition of AK47.

If we are talking about a real AK47 that is fully automatic, then yes it is legal to own. There are restrictions on it, like the NFA; whereby you will have to pay a tax to transfer it and get the blessing of the ATF. And be prepared to pay many thousands of dollars for this weapon.

If we are talking about an AK47 clone that is semi-automatic, then you can go on down to your local gun shop today and as long as you are over 18 you can buy one*.

*Provided you are not a prohibited person.
 

·
I watch the watchers
Joined
·
12,885 Posts
Adam5 said:
Speaking of AKs...... .Has anyone here fired the AK 47 Bullpup?

Sorry for the hijack.
I posted a little sumthin'sumthin' in the other thread.
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,447 Posts
AKs

Like Ramm said, a semi-auto AK-47 type rifle is legally classified in Georgia as any other rifle, and there are no restrictions on it that wouldn't also apply to a bolt-action deer rifle. They're available all over the place for $500.

Because of a federal law passed in 1986, only machineguns made and registered with the feds BEFORE a certain date that year can be transferred to regular civilians like us (if we live in states that allow it, and Georgia does). So over the last 20 years the number of machineguns available to civilians has gone down, the number of wealthy baby boomers with money to spend on expensive toys has gone up, and now an AK-47 machinegun (full -auto) will cost you over $10,000.

It was never a popular gun in the USA back when all machineguns were transferable, due to the Cold War and federal import restrictions, and by the time we established free trade with all those Eastern Bloc countries, the 1986 ban was in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Re: AKs

gunsmoker said:
Like Ramm said, a semi-auto AK-47 type rifle is legally classified in Georgia as any other rifle, and there are no restrictions on it that wouldn't also apply to a bolt-action deer rifle. They're available all over the place for $500.

Because of a federal law passed in 1986, only machineguns made and registered with the feds BEFORE a certain date that year can be transferred to regular civilians like us (if we live in states that allow it, and Georgia does). So over the last 20 years the number of machineguns available to civilians has gone down, the number of wealthy baby boomers with money to spend on expensive toys has gone up, and now an AK-47 machinegun (full -auto) will cost you over $10,000.

It was never a popular gun in the USA back when all machineguns were transferable, due to the Cold War and federal import restrictions, and by the time we established free trade with all those Eastern Bloc countries, the 1986 ban was in place.
Regular citizens can become class II manufacturers or class III dealers and obtain post 1986 MG's.

Transfereable AKs are now in the $12.5-18K range last I checked.

But yes, In GA you can get a semi-auto AK for as little $350. There is no registration. You can buy them just like any hunting rifle like another poster said above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Re: AKs

GAGunOwner said:
Regular citizens can become class II manufacturers or class III dealers and obtain post 1986 MG's.
How would one go about doing that. I'd imagine that the ATF would try to make that very difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Re: AKs

viper32cm said:
GAGunOwner said:
Regular citizens can become class II manufacturers or class III dealers and obtain post 1986 MG's.
How would one go about doing that. I'd imagine that the ATF would try to make that very difficult.
Most, if not all of these dealers/manufacturers are civilians.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Re: AKs

GAGunOwner said:
viper32cm said:
GAGunOwner said:
Regular citizens can become class II manufacturers or class III dealers and obtain post 1986 MG's.
How would one go about doing that. I'd imagine that the ATF would try to make that very difficult.
All these dealers/manufacturers are civilians.
Who do you think sells these guns to LEOs? Besides you have to go through a dealer to buy an NFA device unless it is owned by someone in your own state.

These licenses are highly regulated and fairly expensive but not beyond reach of someone that wants one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,188 Posts
greatcountysky said:
I have been looking into getting an AK for about a year now, but I have personally done no research. I have a friend of the family that buys, sells, and trades guns and he told me that he'd start looking for me. He never actually told me though if my purchase is going to be legal, and if I have to register it, or even if I could register it if I wanted too.

Thanks,
Countysky
Internet Satellite Provider
No it is not legal to buy and own one, but it is legal for you to buy one and give it to me to own :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Re: AKs

GAGunOwner said:
viper32cm said:
How would one go about doing that. I'd imagine that the ATF would try to make that very difficult.
Most, if not all of these dealers/manufacturers are civilians.
I wasn't asking in regards to doing it as a business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Re: AKs

viper32cm said:
GAGunOwner said:
viper32cm said:
How would one go about doing that. I'd imagine that the ATF would try to make that very difficult.
Most, if not all of these dealers/manufacturers are civilians.
I wasn't asking in regards to doing it as a business.
Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as harsh. I occasionally have that habit when typing on the boards.

In the same way that one can become a regular FFL (and not really own a gun shop), one can become a class II or class III. I thinks it is basically the same as getting a regular FFL and then paying an extra $1000 or $1500 a year. One can also become a class 10, those are for destructive devices.

A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Re: AKs

GAGunOwner said:
A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
ok, now I have a question here.

Sooo say, I don't know, 100 people (maybe like a bunch of GDPO members) got together and formed an LLC and each chipped in their $10 or $15 a year. They could all then have access to post '86 MGs? Does that mean we could then import them, or at that point do they have to be american made only or what? I would think this is a huge "loophole" if you can buy post '86 full autos for legal use by the members of the LLC. The crazy cost for an individual in the USA to own a full auto is because there is, at present, a limited supply - those that were already here prior to the '86 ban and were registered. Post '86 full auto's wouldn't be that much more expensive than semi-autos.

Please clarify because I'm suer I must be misunderstanding this otherwise it's what everyone would do - just form a "club" and your annual dues paid all the cost of licenseing & such then you have the LLC buy what you want & you keep it. As long as the LLC stayed up & running & you paid your dues then you would be legal.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,926 Posts
Re: AKs

GAGunOwner said:
A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean pre 1986? Aren't post '86 LE or .gov only (unless you have a dealer/LE demo letter)?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Tink, that sounds fine to me, though I see two problems:
1) You can't import. The license is for the manufacture of the weapons.
2) The ATF likely has some rules in place for just this situation.

The first one's not really a problem, but finding materials and building weapons of our own design would be much more expensive than just $100 a year. I *think* you would be able to buy the dealer samples, though. :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Re: AKs

Adam5 said:
GAGunOwner said:
A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean pre 1986? Aren't post '86 LE or .gov only (unless you have a dealer/LE demo letter)?
If I'm reading it correctly, that's the whole point of wanting to make a corporation...to get post '86.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
Re: AKs

ptsmith24 said:
Adam5 said:
GAGunOwner said:
A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean pre 1986? Aren't post '86 LE or .gov only (unless you have a dealer/LE demo letter)?
If I'm reading it correctly, that's the whole point of wanting to make a corporation...to get post '86.
No the reason is to get pre 86 without having to get CLEO approval.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Re: AKs

Gunstar1 said:
ptsmith24 said:
Adam5 said:
GAGunOwner said:
A lot of guys can get together, say five, and form a corporation. That fee devided by, say five, isn't so bad. Doing this would give them the ability to have post 1986 MGs.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean pre 1986? Aren't post '86 LE or .gov only (unless you have a dealer/LE demo letter)?
If I'm reading it correctly, that's the whole point of wanting to make a corporation...to get post '86.
No the reason is to get pre 86 without having to get CLEO approval.
Yea, I knew that already. I thought they were talking about something different.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top