Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys. My dad just passed and he has a pistol he found in California about 20 years ago. It does not have any serial numbers on it. I'm not sure what to do with it. If I could keep it in would like to but my gut says I can't. Anyone know of a good starting place to see about this? Or just reach out to the Sheriff?

·
Proud GCO member.
7,952 Posts
Has the serial number been defaced, or did it never have a serial number? Is it possible the weapon has a serial number, just not in a place where you have looked yet?

Pistol revolver? Make and model?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,797 Posts
Depending on its age, it may not have one, or some older revolvers have them under the grips.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can try to take some pictures tomorrow. It's a break action single shot 22. That's about all I know right now.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
I think that there was no national law in the USA requiring serial numbers on firearms until 1968, and at that point all firearms made here or imported into the USA had to have them.

Before 1968, serial numbers were optional, and the makers of cheap guns often didn't bother with the hassle and expense of giving each gun a SN.

So maybe you've got a real antique .22 handgun.

As others have said, it's also possible that the serial number is hidden under the grip or stock.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
P.S. Sorry to hear about your father passing away.

Is the pistol here in Georgia? (I assume so, since you are able to get pics of it).

If it's located in California or some other state, you may hear people say you need to use an FFL to transfer the gun across state lines to you.

But that's not true of a gun that you inherited when the deceased left it to you in his will, or if you get it as a matter of law because he passed without a will and you're the heir at law (per laws of intestate succession).

For those situations, you can have the gun sent or delivered directly to you, as long as you have the right paperwork showing you are the heir / beneficiary.

·
68,456 Posts
Or just reach out to the Sheriff?
Don't do that unless you are really good friends with him. (It's ok to have unless in a McDonalds with more than 15 people . . . :rotfl:)

The important question was asked above. Is the serial number removed, e.g., scratched off or otherwise defaced, or does it just not have a serial number? If the latter, do not worry about it. The gun is perfectly legal to possess.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like it is from 1907 so might have never had one. It does look like the barrel has been cut.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,952 Posts
Delete this post, never speak of it again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like it. If I got the tax stamp would that make it legal? And if so what would I do with it in the mean time?

·
Registered
589 Posts
maybe it is C&R

Hamilton Rifle Company, Number 15, 22 Caliber, single shot rifle. This rifle is marked: "Mfg. By the Hamilton Rifle Co of Plymouth Mich USA, Patented Oct 30, 1900, Nov 20 1900, April 8, 1902, July 15, 1902." This is a boys rifle made around the turn of 20th century. This rifle has a 7 3/4 inch barrel, however it is no longer considered a short barrel rifle. As per the ATF Curio and Relic List this firearm is a Curio or Relic and it is not subject to the provisions of the NFA (Section III Page 35 ATF C&R) Thus it is NO LONGER considered a short barrel rifle.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/982463847/Hamilton-Rifle-Number-15-22-Cal-Curio-Reli.htm

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,797 Posts
That's a factory short barrel and full stuck. That's not a chopped off stock and cut down barrel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looks to be C&R exempt by the postings. you may want to check further to make sure, So you have have to do nothing .
I would get a copy of the C&R exempt list and keep it with the gun.

Very interesting single shot rifle made by C.J. Hamilton & Son, these guns were produced between 1906 and 1930 in Plymouth, Mich, this rifle was originally designed for young kids to use and features stamped parts and a brass lined 15 inch barrel. This is listed with the ATF by model as a C&R and is an exception having a barrel under 16 inches.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/589329065

1 - 20 of 41 Posts