Legal Issues for Modifying a Carry Gun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunsmoker, Mar 17, 2007.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Somebody over at Packing.Org was asking about the potential liability risk in carrying a modified gun for self-defense. Replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts. Possibly making the gun more "tactical" or "combat ready" and less "sporting." Would a prosecutor use that against you? Would a jury convict you based on your choice of gun or what accessories you attached to it?

Here's my take on the topic.

TOP TEN WAYS TO LOOK BLOODTHIRSTY OR JUST "KOOKY" TO A JURY:

10.) Carrying a handgun in a caliber that is normally considered too powerful for defense against humans, and more suited for defense against grizzly bears.

9.) Carrying your gun, whatever type it is, in a tactical nylon thigh holster like SWAT guys wear.

8.) Wearing two full-size handguns.

7.) Carrying a handgun that has the muzzle threaded for a silencer or flash suppressor.

6.) Having a pet name for your handgun. If the pet name is "Killer" or "Beast" or "Martyr Machine," bump this up to the #2 position.

5.) Engraving "Death Before Dishonor" or some similar motto on your weapon. Bonus points if you have a tattoo with the same slogan. And yes, they can make you take your shirt off in court.

4.) Modifying your weapon by welding a bayonet lug under the muzzle that allows your little clippy knife to attach there.

3.) Actually carrying the gun referred to in # 7 with the suppressor in place!

2.) Rigging one of those miniature digital recorder/players (the kind they have in greeting cards, which play music or say something funny when you open the card) to your holster, so that it will start playing "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor or the theme song to "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" whenever you draw.

1.) and the NUMBER ONE WAY to make a jury think you're BLOOD-THIRSTY or just plain NUTS because of what you chose for a self-defense tool:

TWO WORDS: BELT FED !!!

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Cool list.

I really like number five. If we had a GCO or GPO logo, those would look cool engraved on our pistols and tattooed on our manly biceps.

Yeah GG, I know we all aren't "manly". Just keep shooting that plastic pistol long enough and you too shall have manly biceps...

Like the old joke; "How was your blind date?"

"She had everything a man could want including muscles and a moustache."

Ouch!

3. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

Uh I used to have pretty good guns when I had was running the farm. grain bags and hay bales! Actually i was just commenting that I needed to start working my arms more because after about 100 rounds my shoulders hurt :(

But, I find those bodybuilding chicks on ESPN scary.

Also, it may be plastic but it works!

4. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Ooh ,ooh ,ooh! My P3AT with a bayonet lug!

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hmmm....I would get a "Death Before Dishonor" tattoo.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Low weigh, high reps. Go for tone not bulk.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do you think the bayonette for my 1891 Argentine Mauser is a little too big for my PPK/S ?

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

How many ballistics lab technicians are going to know that my Glock has a 3.5# in it? Probably zero. Besides, if I did have to shoot someone they met the AOJ criteria.

9. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Not bloody likely unless you start shooting a Primobolan/Dianabol stack or some such nonsense. They do many unnatural things to look that way. The Fitness competitors are what non-drug abusing women lifters look like.

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

That's it. I have to get "Stand and Deliver" etched on my Glock now. :lol:

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

They scare us guys too!

Speaking of...

http://www.female-bodybuilders.org/

The one that came in third is more masculine than any guy I know!!!

The ones that came in first and second need lots of muscles just to haul around those jii-normous implants! To sum it up in one word:

UGH!!!

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

There is no way I am clicking on that link.

13. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

And has the teststerone levels to prove it. Not to mention the deep voice, facial hair, back acne, ... I'll stop there before anyone tosses their cookies though i fear it may already have gone too far.

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Have you seen those new PEZ dispensers? Their latest flavor is olive and they advertise that it stops stupid on contact!

8)

16. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

Thats to funny, You do that and I'll put "No Mercy" on my beretta.

17. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Ramm, no one is going to know that you have a 3.5 connector in your Glock. Just like probably zero would know that I swapped out the serrated triggers for smooth ones.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Exactly, and they won't know that the contact surfaces are polished either. Those smooth triggers are the best.

But like I said...if I ever end up shooting someone it will be because they met the AOJ standard. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that.

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Amen on that Ramm.

20. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Seen them, but I'm gonna have to stick with the licorice ones.