Legal Distance From Neighbor To Shoot

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by roscolo, Oct 2, 2005.

1. roscolo

roscolo New Member

Hi. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me. For years I have had a private target range on my land (that I own). It's a small range for handguns only. I live in a farm area, but now someone is building a house about 75 feet of my property line near my target range. They have not complained, but I suspect it's only a matter of time. Does anyone know the law on this?

Does this rule about being 200 yards away from a building apply if I'm on my own property? If I'm on my land, can I continue to use my range where it is, or am I going to have to move it?
  2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I could be wrong, but I do not believe there is a state law on the issue. (see ocga 16-11-103) Check your county ordinances. Mine regulates the distance from the road and the distance from neighboring property lines. Yours probably does, too.

If you can't find them online, many times a call to the Sheriff will get you the information you need. Also, county ordinances are usually written to state "without the permission of the owner." So, invite your neighbor shooting, keep up cordial relations, and it probably won't matter in any event.