Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Yes.
But you have to have a Georgia Weapons Carry License, or if you're from another state, another state's license if that state has reciprocity with Georgia (about 30 states do).

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,936 Posts
If you have a Georgia Weapons Carry License, or if you are otherwise legal to carry (exempt, from out of state with reciprocal license, etc) you may openly carry.

Georgia does not differentiate between open or concealed

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
I don't know of a single situation or scenario where concealed carry is legal but openly carrying would not be.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Welcome to GPDO, tem01. In Georgia, to carry a loaded long gun in plain view, you don't need to have a weapons license. To carry a pistol openly or concealed you need to either have a GWCL or a license from a reciprocal state.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
HB 280 now allows concealed carry on public college campuses starting July 1st, but no open carry. To me, that seems to be a violation of First and Second Amendment Rights.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that open carry well embodied the exercise of the Second Amendment.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome to GPDO, tem01. In Georgia, to carry a loaded long gun in plain view, you don't need to have a weapons license. To carry a pistol openly or concealed you need to either have a GWCL or a license from a reciprocal state.
Or if you are active military with proper ID.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
But to open carry in Ga (outside of a few specific locations) you must have some type of valid carry permit.

Nemo

·
Old Member
131 Posts
IIRC, when I got my first "Pistol Toters License" you could only
open carry. That was a few years ago. :eek:ldtimer:

·
Registered
847 Posts
IIRC, when I got my first "Pistol Toters License" you could only
open carry. That was a few years ago. :eek:ldtimer:
Way more than just a few years, if that was ever true. I have had a GWCL for over 25 years, and the law has always allowed concealed carry with it. And open carry too, for as long as I recall.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I believe concealed carry became legal with a "permit" in 1976, so yes, more than 25 years ago.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes, 1976, I remember it well. Open carry only, may issue, make model and serial number of the pistol on the license. I believe the license fee was $3.00 but required a bond.

·
69,784 Posts
I believe concealed carry became legal with a "permit" in 1976, so yes, more than 25 years ago.
That is up for dispute, and Tom Bowers as AG gave an official opinion that the license was for carrying openly only and that concealed carry was a crime.

The legislature made concealing legal, with the license as an affirmative defense to the crime, in the 90s, mainly in response to the AG opinion. GCO pushed hard in the courts and the legislature to get this affirmative defense nonsense (which results in detention, maybe arrest, and the burden on you to prove your innocence) changed and finally succeeded a few years ago, which is why the distinction between carrying openly and concealed no longer appears in Georgia law (although it will reappear in a limited situation come July 1).

GCO's next step, which it has been working on for years, is removing entirely the requirement of a license for carrying openly.

Before anybody chimes in with, "Why not remove it for carrying altogether, both openly and concealed?" I feel compelled to answer that I would be willing to listen to your winning legislative strategy to accomplish that in one year.

GCO has been working on removing the license from carrying openly for a decade, without success. My personal view is that the license will never become optional for carrying concealed until we completely remove it from carrying openly - first. Removing the requirement of a license for carrying a pistol openly is (my two cents) a necessary precursor to making the license optional for carrying concealed.

Our friends in the legislature are not there yet on even the first step.

Have you made a new friend recently? Start with your Representative. Take him to lunch or breakfast. Make a new friend.

·
Old Member
131 Posts
I think in '76 you still could only open carry and in very limited places.
Prior to "76 either a $300 cash bond or a property bond by a
property owner, in your county was required to get a license, and it
seemed like it took forever, even for a renewal which, IIRC, was every 3
years. And "yes" it was more than 25 years ago.

Thanks to our Legislature and the great work of GCO and it's members,
our current RTKBA laws are wonderful compared to the "Good Old Days".
The fact that we've had two good Republican Governers in a row was
also a blessing, in many ways.

ETA: Our State "Preemptive" weapons laws are something we must hold on to!

·
Freedom Loving Citizen
109 Posts
I think it's awesome that a newbie can make a single post and the rest of us keep the thread alive without anymore participation from them...lol

·
Old Member
131 Posts
I think it's awesome that a newbie can make a single post and the rest of us keep the thread alive without anymore participation from them...lol
I'm not sure how you meant that, but thanks for doing your part to
keep it going. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts