Leaves in N. GA. See 'em ASAP folks...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Owl, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

See 'em in the next 10 days or so, or you'll miss the peak. Just a heads up. These shots were from the GSMNP last week, where most of the leaves have now blown into the rivers, making fishing a real joy. ;) LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Truly impressive shots there Owl. How was the fishing?

3. 69953

69953 Guest

My wife and I were up in the GSMNP this weekend as well. Gorgeous everywhere you looked! missed a turn on the way and ended up driving over the Tail of The Dragon. Amazing drive, but not as much fun in a Chevy Avalanche as on a motorcycle, I'm sure. I think I'll need to replace the brakes after that.

Carried nearly everywhere, except park buildings that had employees. The only gunbuster sign I saw was on a visitor center in the park. Didn't see any on the restaurants, gas stations or grocery stores I went to.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Pro tip: Go during the week and avoid the city slickers trying to leaf peep on the weekends.

5. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

AMEN!

I was in Dahlonega on Saturday and I was shocked at how little has turned thus far. I'd say in about 7 days we should be full tilt.

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What did you take those shots with to get such great color?

7. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Looks like some HDR, a little too much...

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yeah, they almost look computer generated...

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This.

What camera and glass?

10. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

HDR has nothing to do with color. You can have a desaturated HDR image. I wouldn't guess this is HDR as much as just going a little overboard on saturation, vibrance, and maybe even a clarity adjustment if he's working with RAW. If it's source is jpeg, it wouldn't take long to overshoot the range available and give the compu generated pixelization effect someone was noting earlier. I will say that comp is strong IMO, exposure is nice, and the water motion was tastefully captured.

11. Owl

Owl New Member

RevolverDan, thanks. Means alot coming from you, sir!

As for the pics - Oh.... those pics were taken with top of the line super-high-dollar-state of the art equipment and expert pp that mere mortals can't duplicate. :lol:

The camera doesn't take the pics, I do. "going overboard" is a relative term, depending on how you like your art.( You'd be surprised at how little I had to slide the bar to get these results) I happen to like vivid colors and darker photographs than most people and so far, I'm just doing what I do for myself since the photography market is nearly belly-up as far as amateur work goes.

the camera, if you must know is Nikon's D-60. Their bottom of the line, when I purchased it and these shots were taken with the glass that came with the camera. The artistic vision that created those images after they left the camera is from my own vision of what good art should look like. The settings on your individual monitor can have a drastic effect as to what the photographs look like to you.

It only took me a few months with a camera to figure out that I'm more of an artist than a photographer. The only regret I have is that I did the editing on these photos on my laptop which is not good at all for color correction or contrast. ( The water is way too blue in the first shot) For all I know, those look like crap on everyone else's monitors?! I can blow these up as large as I want and see no ill effects until the size is absurd. Most of these would easily create nice 16 X 20's for home or office use. (*hint, hint)

My point though, wasn't to get the opinion of the art critics, but to show you the leaves and tell you to go see them while you can.

tough crowd here. ;) lol

PS - if you really want to label something as "going too far" try this photo of the Blue Ridge Mountains looking southward toward Cherokee, NC:
    [​IMG]

If you like dull, boring "realistic" art/photography, maybe this is more your thing:
    [​IMG]

The human eye and the camera do not see anything the same. I compensate for this by adjusting the photographs to capture what it was like to be there. Well, except for that abstract. ;) lol

PS - the fishing was fair to poor. However, with the DH in place now, that will improve depending on how you like your fishing. Like photography and art, a quality fishing experience is subjective.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Some of us that like photography get side tracked easily. The pics remind me that I need to get out and play with my D80 before the trees lose their leaves.

13. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I like colors too ! Don't care how you get 'em.

14. Owl

Owl New Member

That last photo is untouched by me. I can tell you that it looks dull compared to actually being there. I'm sure there are people out there who know how to set every adjustment just right on their camera to capture it closer to reality - but I am not that guy! :) LOL

15. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Shhhhhhhh! :wink: