leather saps, etc...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by artz, Apr 12, 2006.

1. artz

artz New Member

JUst out of curiosty. Are leather saps and what not, illegal to conceal in this state ?

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Assuming that a sap counts as a bludgeon, no:

16-11-126.
    (a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

3. artz

artz New Member

jrm....so IF I read your post correctly. The sap (leather wrap with impacted sand at the end that will mold to whatever is struck) is NOT ILLEGAL to conceal ?
    ......I'm just trying to interpret the written law.... :shock:

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Oops. I read your original question too quickly. I thought you asked if it were LEGAL to conceal a sap, and I said no. Again, assuming that a sap counts as a bludgeon (which probably is a fair assumption), it does not look like it would be legal to conceal.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

That's Weird

So in Georgia with a permit you can carry a handgun concealed, but not a lesser defensive tool like a fighting knife or club, brass knuckles, etc?
    What sense is there in that? Anybody that can be trusted with a .45 ought to be trustworthy with a Tanto or a tire knocker.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunsmoker, I couldn't agree more. But, it looks to me like that's what the law says. You get a GFL, you can carry a gun. But a black jack still is a no-no (unless it's carried openly).

7. artz

artz New Member

thank you for the clarification JRM. :)
    If it sounds bass-ackwards'....its probably right (when it comes to the state) :roll:

8. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

this is an interesting topic to me, I keep wondering what i can have on my when i am in places that firearms are not legal to carry. Mace? Stun Guns? Batons? all seem to be no-no's. my wife work in different government buildings everyweek and sometimes these buildings are not in great neighborhoods. what can she carry when she has to walk a block from her car to the building?

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I carry this on campus.

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I carry a SAP and carry it concealed. My version of don't ask don't tell.

11. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Why a SAP and not a firearm? Isn't the penalty for getting caught the same (except maybe not on school property)?

12. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

why not carry both? you can't have too many weapons

see here

13. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

:rotfl:

I'd like to see him walk around with all of that stuff, especially with no belt

:rotfl:

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I frequently carry an old-fashioned blackjack. Lead weight on one end, spring in the handle, wrapped in braided leather. A very potent close quarter weapon. VERY potent. Easily capable of breaking bones and most certain to change the other guy's attitude.

As a kid, I was taught how to use one by a neighbor who was a Louisville PD homicide detective. Very old-school guy who loved his blackjacks and, apparently, wasn't adverse to using them when he thought the occasion warranted...

You can pick up pretty decent black and slap jacks at gun shows for $10. Where you can't carry a gun, one might just save your ass, and at that price, you can afford to toss it down a storm drain or in the trash prior to the cops arrival...

I've posted this before. An interesting article on saps, blackjacks, slapjacks, etc. Here's a short quote:

http://www.donrearic.com/sap.html

"Police really lost an effective tool because of the brutality of a few rogue Officers in the grand scheme of things. The deterrent value of the blackjack or sap, once drawn, is not even up for debate. You would have to be from another planet to not know what you were in for if you resisted…or worse yet, attacked the Officer. When the round blackjack started, literally, caving in skulls in the hands of the fearful or brutal, some departments banned them and "OK’d" the use of flat saps in their place. Eventually, they too fell victim to politically correct Police Department Administrators and Attorneys.

I have personally witnessed as a child and as an adult, Police Officers use Blackjacks, and it ain’t pretty folks. These are brutal tools for brutal streets to be used on equally brutal people. The streets have not changed a bit, they have become worse, but Administrators and Politicians in Police Departments have all but eliminated the Blackjack or anything remotely resembling it.

Targeting

The elbow joint, collarbones and groin slaps were all favorite targets… The elbow being particularly effective if you had someone handcuffed and they started to act crazy and resisting more. A quick and discrete crack on the elbow joint would bring them in line quickly, just as a Kubotan thrust into the ribcage with a quick "shake" will as well…"

He also has an article on using the cane as a weapon:

http://www.donrearic.com/cane1.html

:oldtimer: Don't mess with old farts...

:shattered:

15. merlock

merlock New Member

:lol:

16. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I do carry a gun (or two), just that everyone doesn't need to be shot, just a good smack with 6oz. of lead will do the job. I also carry a knife (or two), and pepper spray.

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I'd love to carry more than a gun. I like being prepared. But man, where do you draw the line. If I wouldn't look like a cop for doing it I'd really like to have a nice multipurpose tool, a knife, a flashlight, my pistol, and a spare mag. Oh, and my cell phone. Gotta have the wallet too, and the car keys. Crap at that point I either need a backpack or a freakin utility belt. What's a boy scout to do??? :evil:

18. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

On just about a daily basis I carry a G19 (IWB) a spare mag, Surefire E-2e Outdoorsman, 2oz can of OC Spray, Clinch Pick (fixed blade knife), Spyderco
    Maxim (folder), Spyderco P-Kal (folder) and some times a j-frame in appendix , a 5 shot speed strip and a 6oz. Boston Leather SAP all under one shirt without printing. You have to know where to put it and how to carry it. I am fortunate in the fact that I am tall (6'3") and 207lbs, so thats slender and an XL Woolrich Discrete Carry or Columbia Shirt covers it all pretty well. I also think I can get a multi-tool in there with no problem.

19. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Firearmzz, I'd have to wear a pup tent or a mu-mu to cover all of that.

I usually carry my S&W Ladysmith J-frame IWB and frequently a blackjack in the back pocket. Any more and I think something would show.

Oh yeah, and a sturdy walking stick. My favorite is made of schedule 80 stainless steel tubing. Ka-thunk!!! A shot to the shins should change anyone's attitude...!

:wink: