Leather or Kydex for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by trithym, Oct 23, 2010.

1. trithym

trithym New Member

I'm carrying a Glock 26 AIWB, and I need a good holster. Right now I'm using a BLACKHAWK! nylon holster that I bought as a cheap way to try out the Glock 26, but as I found out yesterday, it has no retention. I was sticking a "welcome home" decoration up on the wall with tape, and I jumped a couple of times to get it high enough. On the second jump, the gun came out of the holster and up into my shirt (though I was wearing it between my pants and belt at the time, not IWB). So, I had better go ahead and order a better holster. I have two picked out, and can't afford to get both right now. One is leather http://www.kdholsters.com/iwb-owb-defend.php (the Maverick Defender) and one is kydex http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K7.htm. I like the idea of kydex being waterproof and thin, but leather sounds like it would be more comfortable. So here are my questions: as someone who hasn't had either kydex or leather, how do I choose which to get first? Which will last longer? Work better in all seasons? etc? Thanks for any replies.

2. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I'm a fellow Appendix carrier also. It's been about 2 years now since I started. It's not for everyone, but it works great for me. I carry and have carried a Glock 17 & 19, and Springfield 5" & 4" 1911s. It is almost impossible to find a Leather holster that is specifically made for AIWB. There are a couple out there, but they are expensive. VolGrad had a TT Gunleather AIWB holster custom made for his Glock 26, and I beleive he really likes it. I will try and find a link about it. I prefer the kydex holster called the Archangel made by Dale Fricke and sold through onesourcetactical.com. It was created just for appendix carry and nothing else. It has 2 rubber pull-the-dot straps that make it easy to attach to the belt and easy to take off. The holster has two adjustable screws for retension, and you can really crank it down on the gun if you like. This holster is not cheap, but well worth the cost. I have 3 of them, which goes to show you how much I like them.

If I had to pick one out of the two you have in your OP, I would go with the FIST and get it with the 2 leather straps that snap close. It is easier to attach the holster to the belt with the straps because they can straddle a belt loop on your pants if it is in the way. You can't do that with a big wide attachment.

Archangel with a Glock 19. This holster will carry any of the 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG and .45GAP models. One made just for the 26 would be shorter though.

[​IMG]

This is with a G17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

4. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I prefer my holster have a body shield and moo. Kydex has pinched me badly many and cut me once.
    My preference leads me to http://andrewsleather.com I love his stuff. There are a few hybrids that are nice too as long as there is leather between me and the gun I'm good to go.

5. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

I chose to not compromise between the two and get one that has both http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Adjustable tension, leather backed for comfort, adjustable cant and can mount different kydex for different weapons in the future without buying an entire new holster. Crossbreed supertuck is another brand/model that is similar as well.

6. murrybird

murrybird New Member

I use to carry in leather, but over the years found that Georgia hot humid summers were not good for them,nor me. THey became sticky and got sweat staines on them.

I have gone kydex from Comp Tec, I like the Infidel for both of my carry guns which are a XD45 service and Glock 19. I like them a lot.

7. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I think you'll find that locating a holster that is comfortable for you will take several tries at it. I don't carry AIWB at all, but have both leather and kydex. For IWB carry, I use a Comp-Tac MTAC (mentioned above, one with leather against your skin but a kydex shell on the leather to hold the gun in)--very comfortable rig, although I don't think it would work in the appendix position due to size. For OWB I have both a nicer leather holster made by fellow forum member zookeeper (he can make you an AIWB leather holster too if you'd like I'm sure), as well as a cheaper kydex holster. Not sure on the price of the Archangel holster mentioned above, but Comp-Tac also offers a similar model that could be used for AIWB carry. Good luck in your search!

8. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I've tried an MTAC for appendix carry and it is too big. The smaller and thinner the holster, the more comfortable it is for appendix carry. I haven't tried an all kydex holster like a FIST. That just doesn't sound comfortable since I don't wear boxers or an undershirt to keep it from scratching my delicate skin. I couldn't find the perfect AIWB holster off the shelf, so I had Zookeeper make one for me. He's a master at his craft and was very fast to deliver.

9. trithym

trithym New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering a Dale Fricke Archangel on Monday, and received it Saturday. Quick! Definitely glad I ended up with a holster with snap closures instead of a slide, for easy on/off. I like the smaller profile of this holster, and it definitely has more retention then the nylon holster I was using before.

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Did you go with the model just for the G26 or did you get one that could handle some of the bigger models? Post a picture if you can, I would like to see it. Dale also makes a horizontal mag pouch that hides the Glock mag very well. Laying horizontal keeps the mag from pinching your sides and I feel it prints less. If you get one, order it with bullets up because it facilitates the reload the right way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. trithym

trithym New Member

I got the G26 model. I thought a longer version would print on me (the bottom of the holster), as I had some issues with my other holster doing that. I'm not sure if that mag pouch will work for me or not (printing). I'll keep it in mind when I can order a mag pouch.

If these pics are too big/too many, let me know. I'm not very internet pic savvy... and forgive me for some blurry ones.

Dale Fricke Archangel holster with a Glock 26
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Looks good. :righton: I hope you end up liking it. If you dont, contact me and I will buy it from you for when I get a G26. That holster has to be a vast improvement over the nylon holster you were using. I have to admit, I had no idea you were a lady. :shattered: Nobody will ever suspect that you are carrying a Glock under there. It will be quick and easy to get too also.

13. ABC3

ABC3 Member

tmoore912;
    Great looking rig. I like the holser and I'm sure it will serve you will. Good looking gun belt, as well.

trithym;

The holster you have will serve you well also. However, your rig would fit more comfortable if you had a true dual layered gun belt. I noticed your rig sagging, in the front, which make for an unstable platform.

14. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Al, I was thinking the same thing you were. :idea: I think she needs a A&G Custom Gun Leather for sure! A good gun belt makes all the difference. I have 2 of Al's belts. They are works of Art............... I tell you. :love:

These are the 3 leather gun belts I have. 2 from A&G Custom Gun Leather.

[​IMG]

15. trithym

trithym New Member

Thanks. And thanks for the offer. The Archangel is most certainly an improvement over the cheap nylon holster I was using. It feels much more secure, and the gun doesn't come out of the holster when I jump, like it did with the nylon one. :p I like that it's kydex (waterproof and easy to care for, as opposed to leather - right?). Not as comfortable as the nylon holster though. I'm going to give it more time and experiment with it to see if it's one I definitely want to keep.

Nice belts. The belt I have now is a Levi's bonded leather belt I picked up for cheap. That brings up a question I have. The gun is more stable when I have it pulled down somewhat. It's also more stable when my belt is tighter, but then it's not as comfortable and hurt my hips. :p Will a good gun belt fix these problems, or am I still going to have issues because of my shape and a shorter gun barrel? Thanks for all the info and replies, everyone.

16. ABC3

ABC3 Member

trithym;

Unfortunately you have a universal problem. It's just the way you gals are made. But with a sturdy gun belt you would not have to cinch the belt up so tight that it hurts you while still maintaining a solid platform.

17. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Looks like you picked a good holster, it conceals well! And yeah, +1 to the good belt. It will make almost as much difference as the holster itself in how comfortable and secure the weapon is while carrying. :righton: