Learning to shoot at apartment not good

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Mom Accidentally Shoots 9-Year-Old Son

POSTED: 5:55 am EDT July 23, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:57 am EDT July 23, 2007

ATLANTA -- A 9-year-old remains in critical condition at the hospital after being shot by his mother.

Police said they believe the incident was a tragic accident, but they plan on charging Johnny Andrews' mother.

According to the Rockdale County Sheriff's Department, Johnny's mom, Kerri Fitts, was learning to use a 45 calibur handgun Saturday night when the gun went off.

Officials said one bullet hit Johnny in the stomach and another bullet hit an apartment wall.

"Obviously, we have questions as to why they would be messing with a gun in an apartment at 1 o'clock in the morning with children present, but we have no reason to believe it is anything but an accident," said Sheriff Jeff Wigington.

There were two other children inside the apartment at the time but they were okay. Fitts could face reckless conduct charges, which is a misdemeanor.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Teaching somebody how to use a gun in an apartment isnt a good idea. Just my opinion, but I believe a range would have helped this issue.

I have had a few people ask to see my gun and get a feel for it. No problem, I show them, UNLOADED, SLIDE LOCKED. If they want to hold it, UNLOADED, SIDE LOCKED. They want to learn anything else I will treat them to a range visit, and even lunch to get them to join GCO!!!

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:evil: :evil: :evil:

NOT what we need in the news.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

yeah that was my beef with the article. Not sure what that was about

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was listening to WSB on way to work this morning and one of the responding officers told them that they think she was releasing the slide to chamber a round, while her finger was on the trigger. They suspect that out of shock when it happened, she pulled the trigger again.

:roll:

7. tace

tace New Member

Times like these, I am scared to know that pretty much anyone can have a gun. What I am trying to say is that, we can't trust ppl to do what is responsible. And we can't pass any rules to foster responsible gun ownership, cause that would be considered "Gun Control".

I mean we make sure ppl know how to drive before they can go out and get a car and drive around legally.

::Flame on::

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

"Yes, Officer, he accidentally shot himself in the head 9 times."

9. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I've never had a problem with a requirement of a safety class before being licensed to carry a firearm. Something along the lines of the NRA classes, firearmz's school, or even a DD-214 or previous LEO experience.

At the same time, I think the restrictions on where a person can carry should be removed as the criminals could care less what is a "gun free zone" and what isn't.

So I guess I partially agree with you Tace.

10. M249

M249 New Member

Are you driving in the same state I'm driving in, because most of the people I've seen in Atlanta can't drive worth a :censored:? :p

Oh yeah, there's no inalienable right to drive a car. We gotta take the good with the bad. That means, when stupid people do stupid things we need to say, "It's your right to own a firearm, but it's your responsibility to use it safely." We also should strongly condemn stupid actions such as this.

This person is a moron, and in being a moron, caused the severe injury of a 9-year-old kid. I support her being charged with reckless conduct, and, at the very least, the judge should sentence her to take a firearms safety course in addition to any other just punishment she receives.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I had a guy claim twice. Gun accidently went off while cleaning it and shot his wife in the head. Twice.

True story.

12. Malum Prohibitum

True story: I mean the guy really claimed that, not that he was telling a true story.

13. tace

tace New Member

To clarify myself:

I don't believe in these so called gun free zones, and can't understand how anyone with common sense could support them.

I really think its bad law to restrict most of the places we are allowed to carry (especially restaurants that serve alcohol, Marta, etc).

I would have no problem with a requirement to go through a gun safety course before being allowed to purchase a gun (first time, obviously). Maybe a 5 hour one like the one I dragged my wife to when I brought a gun into the house the first time.

I don't get this obsession or logic with 10 round mags and 30 day limits, cause logically they don't accomplish anything.

Want to ban .50 rifles? Show me how many crimes have been commited with them? None, you say? Wanna pass a law to address a problem that doesn't exist? Go waste someone elses money.

I have a problem with states that require you to bring a fired shell casing and register, before you can buy the gun.

I think this person needs to spend some serious time in jail pondering how stupid she is for playing with a loaded firearm around kids.

If I am showing someone how to handle a firearm, I am using those red snap caps and not real ammo.

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Negligent dischargeS.

If nobody got hurt it would be a pretty good laugh.

15. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Funny thing though, it was a 5 Shot revolver. :lol:

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yeah, we can trust their gun handling. Just ask the lady officer that slept with a pistol under her pillow. Or the time... [insert Professionalism story here].

You can lead a horse to water...

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

While I agree with what you say, this is a dangerous line of logic to use when talking to anti-gunners.

First, all it will take is one terrorist or criminal to use it and then they will throw the comment back in your face and bleet until they can't bleet anymore.

Second, they may say "well, there is a lot of crime and violence done with handguns, so can we ban those?"

It's always better to go with the approach that it is a US Constitutional right.

18. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Actually this is really easy to solve. Firearm training should be free and required in High School. However the anti's would never go for a common sense approch like that one.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

By free do you mean taxpayer-funded? I'm really not trying to sound asinine here.