Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling/trading my wife's CW9 and getting an LCR for her, due to ease of operation and the supposed manageable recoil. I had a Taurus Ultra Lite 85 about a year ago and it was a serious handful for her. Shouldn't the LCR be more manageable than that? Need hands on advice plz.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Its a lightweight gun that feels like a toy to me. I don't imagine it would be more pleasant to shoot than a M85 to your spouse.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Just did a quick google search: 17 oz versus 13.5 -- I think your moving in the wrong direction with respect to mass.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I owned an LCR. With carry ammo (gold dots) it is quite a handful with very sharp recoil. I have shot a cw9 as well, and you will not be improving anything, with regards to recoil, by switching to the LCR.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
5 shot 2" revolvers are not a lot fun to shoot. Even the all steel models, unless you reload with very light loads. I have alway tried to steer women away from them, but a lot of them want them anyway. Including my wife.

The manual of arms is just so simple. I think an all steel 3" revolver is a lot better choice.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
I have a 2" .357 Ruger SP101. It weighs in at 25 oz empty and is a pleasure to shoot .38 special through. With .357 defense loads, it is an attention getter, but not something I'm afraid to pull the trigger on again. I keep looking at the LCR for wear while running, but hesitate because I don't think it is something I would practice with regularly because of the recoil...

All other things being equal, a good .357 defense round has about three times more recoil than .38 special plinking ammo in the SP101. Halving the weight when going to the LCR means the recoil numbers just about double. It is supposed to be decent at managing recoil, yes, but I don't think physics favors the LCR with a lower felt recoil than the SP101.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
If you can find one for her to try out before you buy, I'd recommend it.

I fired a gentleman's LCR at the range a while back and it wasn't bad to shoot at all, though that was with some mild .38 reloads. Standard pressure and +P .38s HPs would be a different story. Not a problem for someone who doesn't have issues with recoil, however it'll be a different story for someone who's had difficulties with heavier .38 revolvers. I own a S&W 340SC that I sometimes carry as a BUG. When I first bought it, I fired three cylinders of .357 Mag through it and swore that I'd never do that AGAIN! :shattered: Even with +P and +P+ .38s, it's still quite a handful for me.. and I'm highly tolerant of recoil.

Its one of the compromises that comes with sub compact pistols and small, light weight revolvers. If your spouse can manage the CW9 to some extent, then I feel she's probably better off with it or perhaps another semi-auto that may be more comfortable for her. Even though they have a bit more complicated manual of arms, they do have the advantage of higher ammo capacity and simpler/quicker reloads than revolvers.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Nothing says she has to load it with +P Whamhammers. I think it would be a great gun for CCW, even when loaded with "normal" loads of 158 grain .38 Special.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
+1 for the "try it first" vote. I shot one and couldn't stand it. Recoil was very pronounced with it, and with such a small barrel length, accuracy was extremely difficult for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own, carry and frequently shoot both of these firearms.

If your wife isn't happy with the recoil of the CW9 then she will certainly not be pleased with the recoil of the LCR as it is a bit more harsh. Personally I don't find either weapon to be uncomfortable to shoot but the CW9 is much easier to handle.

Having never shot a Taurus Ultralight I can't comment on the comparison of felt recoil with the LCR. I usually shot around 50 +P rounds per session when training with my LCR and don't experience any discomfort. I do believe my wife's opinion would differ though.

Good luck,
Ben

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx for the input guys.

I checked her grip at home and she seemed to be doing more "supporting" with her left hand UNDER her shooting hand vs. having any grip FORWARD of her shooting hand. Her shooting hand was more ON her palm up, left hand than IN her left hand, so I'm thinking that's going to be easy to fix. Let's hope cuz I'd hate to go to a smaller caliber and lose that CW9. IMO, it's a sweet shooter, but still #3 on my list after my #1 CW45 and #2 PM9.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
That is an appropriate revolver grip. Keep those meathooks away from the cylinder gap!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Match10 said:
That is an appropriate revolver grip. Keep those meathooks away from the cylinder gap!
I made that mistake this morning. I looked down at my thumb and found a small "mark" with blood splattered all around it. I won't be doing that again. I'm a n00b when it comes to revolvers, I'm still figuring them out.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
LordSephiroth said:
I made that mistake this morning. I looked down at my thumb and found a small "mark" with blood splattered all around it. I won't be doing that again. I'm a n00b when it comes to revolvers, I'm still figuring them out.
Glad to hear the learning experience isn't more drastic! :shock:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I seem to recall Fiwit rented one at Wild West over in Marietta and we both took a few shots with it. Neither of us were impressed. Too small for my hand, recoil chewed on my finger in the finger guard.

would not want to shoot one unless necessary.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
45_Fan said:
LordSephiroth said:
Glad to hear the learning experience isn't more drastic! :shock:

Heck... My Ruger SBH 44 RemMag looks like a welding torch out the side with my normal hunting loads. So does my S&W 66, 642, 36s, and my 15. The new-fangled Semi-auto grip I see people using is NOT appropriate for revolvers. I carefully coach all the people I have shoot my revolvers, and some really needed to be "saved" from this fate! :shock:

The other 'thing' to watch for is a revolver person holding a high grip on a semi.... UH! Watch that slide come back and remove your thumb web!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Match10 said:
The new-fangled Semi-auto grip I see people using is NOT appropriate for revolvers.
Yea, that's what I was doing. My thumb wasn't directly next to the cylinder (I knew better than that at least), but it was close enough to pick up some of the pressure. I curled my thumb in more dramatically and it stopped, I also found I had much better control over the gun.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Ruger Rattle of the LCR is what turned me off from day one. Pick up and LCR and shake it.. It sounds like there are parts flying all over the place inside. The Smith's don't do that. Stick with the tried and true J-frame. It's not like they haven't been making those for almost a 100 years.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
madcapmagician said:
The Ruger Rattle of the LCR is what turned me off from day one. Pick up and LCR and shake it.. It sounds like there are parts flying all over the place inside. The Smith's don't do that. Stick with the tried and true J-frame. It's not like they haven't been making those for almost a 100 years.
There are lots of good reasons to pick one over the other based purely on personal preference, but this just doesn't make any sense. If you read the manual for the LCR then you know this is normal. It's actually a safety feature.

My wife decided to shoot my LCR.357 today with standard 158gr wad-cutters. She actually enjoyed it and shot it well. The extra weight of the .357 model helps eat a little more recoil than the .38 only model. Trigger pull was a little tough for her, but better than any of my Smiths. She's very short small frame lady, so I was impressed. We were doing HD shotgun training and she decided she wanted to shoot a few pistols too. Hopefully so we'll find one that she likes a lot and she'll start carrying too.

To each their own. I also agree with letting her try as much as possible and only buying/using what she's really comfortable with.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
RevolverDan said:
.....If you read the manual for the LCR then you know this is normal. It's actually a safety feature....
It may well be. I don't like my 1911 to rattle, nor do I like my revolvers to rattle. Rattle annoys me. Rattle is "bad", whether it truly is or not. None of my Smiths, or my Rugers rattle. It's just my nature to eschew rattle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts