Lawyers please explain GA 16-11-127.1

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Bob_Hayles, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Language in Adjunct teaching contract

Forgive if this is a herp derp post.

The language there says "restricted", rather than prohibited. But my reading of O.C.G.A. 16 - 11 - 127.1 on one Internet site seemed outdated, as if H.B. 280 never passed.

I suspect someone is winging it with the contract language without help of a lawyer.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

It takes months, even years, for institutions, schools, and businesses to update their web pages as to dry and uninteresting legal matters.
    Plenty of information about Georgia's gun laws available through a Google search today will tell you about how the law was PRIOR to 2014, when HB 60 was enacted. That was over 3 years ago !!

Anyhow, maybe this technical college didn't want to say that guns were "banned" because, even prior to HB 280, there are dozens of ways people can have guns on campus legally. GWL holders or teachers leaving them locked in parked vehicles. Cops and other government agents going to the school in any official capacity. Anybody who has written permission from school officials, for any reason. Anybody who is taking, or teaching, a gun safety class. Any GWL holder picking up or dropping off a student. Etc. There were some 18 different exceptions to the general rule about no guns.
    These legal ways to have a gun on campus make the law sound more like a restriction than a flat-out ban.

3. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

That was the post-280 language

4. Falcon4

Falcon4 New Member

so anyone who is open carrying or poorly concealed, including officers, is Brandishing their weapon according to this Federal law?

5. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Well, that's a flash from the past. Necropost!

Falcon4 likes this.
  6. Falcon4

Falcon4 New Member

LoL, sure, but you might be surprised how many go back and look over past post about legislation and how we got here. I don't know if that definition is still in place, but if it is, then the question is still current....but the point of my comment was to see if I was reading it correctly and also pointing out how silly that definition was (or is).

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Necropost, but nevertheless a thread well worth reading, so long as the reader keeps in mind that HB 826, passed by majorities of both houses and signed by the Governor, is nevertheless dead letter. There is a lot of valuable information in this thread from back in the day when folks like Legacy38 contributed heavily to the forum (and at least one example of why that is no longer so).

GM404 likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Go to the definition.

Nemo

https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/brandished/

Falcon4 likes this.
  9. Falcon4

Falcon4 New Member

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Those are just federal sentencing guidelines. I am not sure why they are being discussed here.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm bumping this thread to add that in view of the results of the 2020 election, where gun-hating, anti-self defense (and pro-criminal) Democrats have won the presidency and all sorts of local races for DA, Sheriff, Judges, etc, I predict that in the near future any "gray areas" in the law will be resolved in favor of the State, and against the armed citizen.
    Expect to be arrested and prosecuted based on feelings and what some prosecutor thinks "should be" the law, not what that law is or was.