Lawsuit - Plaintiffs Needed - Please Step Up!

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Phil1979, May 15, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Infinite Energy Center's metal detector policy bans pocket knives with blades over 3" long.

There is a lawyer willing to take the case.

Knives with blades under 5" long are not "weapons" under state law, but still are under state preemption.

So here's the deal:

1. You normally and regularly carry a pocket knife with a blade longer than 3", but shorter than 5".

2. You'd like to attend the Arena or Theater at Infinite Energy Center where metal detectors are used, but do not want to be disarmed of your knife, and so do not attend the events that you would otherwise attend if you could remain armed with your knife.

Please PM me if you want to be a plaintiff.

I cannot be one, because my normally carried blade is right at 3".

2. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

When we went to the center last year, i hid my pocket knife under my wallet in the basket and walked through, i beeped due to my steal toe boots i wear, got wanded from arm pits to feet.
    I held my knife and wallet in my hand above my shoulders.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I did the same thing at World if Coke.

When j saw the metal detectors, I put my knife in my wallet before putting my wallet in the basket.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Phil, you need a new knife. Want one? Shoot me an address. Won't be a fancy $100 thing. But will have a 4" or so blade.

Side note-- I went to Coke once. Had Gerber multi-tool and mini mag flashlight on belt. Detectors did not catch either.

Nemo

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Info on the facility in question:

Infinite Energy Arena is an indoor arena outside the city limits of Duluth, Georgia, within the Atlanta metropolitan area. The arena was an expansion to the Gwinnett Center, which also includes a performing arts center and a convention center.
    Address: 6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Duluth, GA 30097 (per Wikipedia).

I wish I could be a plaintiff, but
    (1) I don't think I own a knife of the correct size, much less have a history of carrying one that size.
    (2) I've never been to the Infinite Engergy Arena. I've gone with my brother's kids to the Gwinnett Center for Puppetry Arts, but never the Infinite Energy place.

Good luck. I hope you get some well-qualified plaintiffs who have standing and pursue this violation of the preemption law(s).

6. Phil1979

I know I can buy a larger knife and carry it every day for a while. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

However, there are some other ways to get this going. As our lawyer friend pointed out to me, they probably do not take the trouble to measure blade length. They probably just ban all pocket knives in practice, unless it's an obviously tiny one - maybe.

So, here I'm thinking - I'll carry a couple of 3" bladed or maybe 2.75" bladed (to be on the conservative side) pocket knives, and see if they get out their ruler.

Another more provocative approach would be to carry a 4" blade inside a boot with steel toes (they don't make you remove any item of clothing). Must be the steel toes that set off the metal detector.

Once in, change in the restroom and place the sheathed knife on your belt, open carry style. Once they throw you out, you have standing to sue. Preferably done at an event that did not have an expensive ticket! :lol:

7. Phil1979

I'm giving you folks some ideas here. ;-)

I don't mind if no one wants to do the provocative approach mentioned above. That would probably get the ball rolling the quickest, though.

However, it would be interesting to see how many of us can attend events with sub-3" bladed pocket knives and actually be measured. Will they then change their policy to 2" blades?

8. Phil1979

If one were to truly be bold in exercising their rights on this particular public property, you could refuse to leave once discovered with an "unapproved knife", and force their hand to either arrest you or leave you alone.

Should Explore Gwinnett officials (these are not county employees) be involved in any way with falsely having you arrested, they can be personally sued for thousands plus attorney fees. They are officially acting as the agent of Gwinnett County by a legal, written contract, and have no authority to treat this public property beyond what the county has.

Does Explore Gwinnett really want to hang out there twisting in the wind, knowing that the county probably will not come to their rescue? Why would the county reimburse these officials their litigation costs and judgments that were acquired as a result of stepping outside the bounds of their contract?

9. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack thread, but. . .I'd rather do a mass "event" at an Atlanta Braves game - One or more persons at every gate, coordinated to jam em all at one time. . . "it's okay, I have a license, I'm not leaving. . ."

10. Phil1979

Theoretically, you could do that legally with knives that have blades not over 5" long, since these do not count as "weapons" even at "government buildings", of which Turner Stadium is, and the new stadium in Marietta will be (I assume).

However, they might still get you with the "private property" myth.

Infinite Energy Center is a different thing, in that their management agency is contracted to be an official agent of the County. Not so the Braves.

11. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

Dang...I carry a 3.5" blade regularly, but I rarely ever find my way to that side of town and I don't really care for loud crowded events. So the blade restriction isn't what keeps me away.

12. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

I wish I could help, but I don't really ever carry a knife. Also, I don't go to that Arena on principle since Pepsi has pouring rights there.

13. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

I typically carry a knife between 3.5-4" long and am off the week of June 6. Only problem is I would be OCing a large handgun as well ;)

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Sounds like the last 3 of you need to make a point to get out your weekend carry knife go over and try to enter on a Saturday, just for the refusal of it.

I am in Va for a couple months otherwise I would be a party to the crowd.

Nemo

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I don't generally carry a knife, and when I do, it's a karambit with a 2.25" blade.

Sorry. I'm close enough and willing to do it otherwise. It's probably a scary enough looking blade to generate some attention from their screeners.

16. Phil1979

Carry a 3" knife which is at the limit of what they allow, to see if they actually take out a tape and measure blades.

17. Phil1979

I now have a way to carry my new 3 7/8" pocket knife past their metal detectors. I will then switch to open carry after entry and bait them to kick me out, enabling me to sue them for violating state law.

Baiting is not a bad thing if you are justified. They are the ones that are breaking the law, and I want them held accountable. Gwinnett County is turning a blind eye to the state preemption violation they are witnessing of their official management agent of Infinite Energy Center.