Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had experience with a ticket from city of Lawrenceville? I'm wondering if they do the whole thing like Dekalb Co does with the "line up over here if you want to pay your fine and have it reduced to a non-moving violation" if you show up on your court date? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not a pleasant place to get a ticket and deal with prosecutor. Any case I get there I bind over to state court.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I'm hoping maybe I can go in in the morning before court and get them to lower it to like 39 in a 25 and I'll pay the full fine. Don't have any points at the time, so points won't be the end of anything, and not going to plead nolo for a speeding ticket. Guess I'll have to wait and find out... Just one more form of taxes to pay once we hit the new year, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
AeroShooter said:
Viking said:
Not a pleasant place to get a ticket and deal with prosecutor. Any case I get there I bind over to state court.
Is there an advantage to doing this?
A lot of municipalities don't do jury trials, so if you want to exercise your right to a jury trial in those areas you're required to bind it over to state court. Also, binding it over is a relatively time consuming process, so if you want to simply defer paying any fines you may receive for as long as possible, asking for a continuance or two and then asking them to bind it over to state court will make the process take potentially 1 year or more. Your insurance will potentially be lower during this time too since the ticket won't show up on your record until you're convicted, at which point the date of the violation will be over a year old and will be that much closer to falling off your record based on what your insurance company checks.

Still, there's no harm in talking with the prosecutor before the arraignment. Recently in Roswell, I was able to talk to the prosecutor, and one of the options given was "no record", where you pay the fine (which he reduced to the minimum allowed for the infraction), but it doesn't get entered into your driving record. A few months later I went to DDS and pulled by my driving record, which in fact does not have any record of it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If you are genuinely innocent of the charges, then by all means execute your right to a trial if you feel the desire to do so. But if you know you are genuinely guilty as charged, be advised that in many cases if you insist on a jury trial, and are convicted, you run the risk of receiving the maximum penalties as allowed by law (fine, points, insurance notification, and anything else).

I've seen it many, many times. From what I have witnessed, if you are not a habitual violator, speaking with the solicitor or prosecutor offline is usually the most advantageous way to go, especially if you have pretty much a clean record.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ticket says I was going 45 in a 25. I hadn't looked at my speedo, but I'm not debating my guilt in the matter. I certainly will not be taking this to a trial, as even though I know methods to use to beat it, I don't have the time or desire to "beat the system" when I know I was going over the speed limit anyways.... I have no issue paying the fine for it, but prefer not to get the points or have anything reported to my insurance (not that it should make much different, don't have any other tickets in the last 3 years).

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
If you are genuinely innocent of the charges, then by all means execute your right to a trial if you feel the desire to do so. But if you know you are genuinely guilty as charged, be advised that in many cases if you insist on a jury trial, and are convicted, you run the risk of receiving the maximum penalties as allowed by law (fine, points, insurance notification, and anything else).

I've seen it many, many times. From what I have witnessed, if you are not a habitual violator, speaking with the solicitor or prosecutor offline is usually the most advantageous way to go, especially if you have pretty much a clean record.
Binding it over to state court does not waive your right to speak with the prosecutor before trial. But, if the Lawrenceville prosecutor is not giving you the answer you want, you can always bind it over to get a different prosecutor. You still have the option of pleading guilty prior to trial.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
ookoshi said:
Binding it over to state court does not waive your right to speak with the prosecutor before trial. But, if the Lawrenceville prosecutor is not giving you the answer you want, you can always bind it over to get a different prosecutor. You still have the option of pleading guilty prior to trial.
Never said that it did.

Just said if you decide to opt for a trial and the court finds you to be guilty (especially if it is plainly obvious), in my experience I would not expect a lot of sympathy from the court after the conviction. In such cases, you'd be better off striking a deal before hand IMHO if at all possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As posted earlier, call the clerk ahead of time, offer to pay the ticket and do a defensive driving class (usually like $75) in stead of getting any points. This way the court gets their money, you don't contest (wasting their time) and you waste a few hours one day on a weekend in class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts