·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
A lot of win in the quotes section...

Found this one pretty awesome (emphasis mine)
James Weaver said yesterday at 3:50 PM
I'm a chemistry teacher at a university. People need to understand that a campus is a public place. Criminals walk onto campuses and commit crimes. Criminals, maniacs, and terrorists are keenly aware of the fact that campuses have classes with hundreds of students in auditoriums and classrooms inside buildings that are sitting ducks because teachers and students are NOT ALLOWED to have any means to protect themselves or others. Self defense is a god given, constitutionally protected right. This law isn't mandating every teacher be armed. Only teachers who are willing to accept the responsibility.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
:righton: :righton: :righton: That sure would put an end to school shootings. If nothing else, there wouldn't be any more high body count Columbine style shootings, especially if a majority of the teachers had access to firearms and also were trained on how to use them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This would be one area that hours of verified training would be a must. Some sort of "shoot / don't shoot" type of training and some sort of mental evaluation.

I mean have you seen some of these teachers these days? Trust them with a gun? I barely trust them with a pencil!

I would like to see armed teachers under the proper circumstances.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4HorseShoes said:
This would be one area that hours of verified training would be a must. Some sort of "shoot / don't shoot" type of training and some sort of mental evaluation.

I mean have you seen some of these teachers these days? Trust them with a gun? I barely trust them with a pencil!

Disagree.

If you've got a GWL (I'm not even going to attempt to address unlicensed carry right now) you ought to be able to legally carry into a school.

Do you know that at least some teachers already have GWLs? Do you now fear these teachers out and about in public? :roll:

How many teachers do you think would go run out and get a GWL (even though they curently do not have one) just because some law was passed saying they could carry on campus? My guess is that generally only the most dedicated GWL holders would carry there anyway.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4HorseShoes said:
Why aren't you advocating this for everywhere? What is super different about a school? Why not on a packed MARTA train, concert, or Braves game? Why not at a daycare?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
All for it and have always been... To me it's the same as a pilot carrying in the cockpit.

The bottom line is that if a criminal *KNOWS* with certainty that a person is unarmed, it makes them far more vulnerable as a target. Would school shootings still happen? Most likely. Would they have the same impact? Highly doubtful.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
4HorseShoes said:
Why aren't you advocating this for everywhere? What is super different about a school? Why not on a packed MARTA train, concert, or Braves game? Why not at a daycare?
Or in a packed McDonald's, with all those kiddies in the play area. You won't find anyone on the forum who doesn't advocate training, but when you mandate it, it becomes an "infringement."

·
Registered
498 Posts
CountryGun said:
GAGunOwner said:
4HorseShoes said:
Or in a packed McDonald's, with all those kiddies in the play area. You won't find anyone on the forum who doesn't advocate training, but when you mandate it, it becomes an "infringement."
took me a little bit to think about this but your absolutely right. Most would not go and get a GWL. And those that did I would hope that they would take the proper measures to learn to shoot properly....

My only thought is that a classroom/hallway/cafeteria would be much more crowded than most areas...... but I do get your point.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Do you know that at least some teachers already have GWLs?
They sure do.
:wink:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,405 Posts
I used to get anxious thinking of how many stupid people there are, but I've concluded there is no there there. Mandated training is a solution to a problem that hasn't shown itself to exist. John Lott mentioned that there is not a single instance of a self-defense shooting hitting an innocent bystander. I would imagine if there was, we'd never hear the end of it from the Bradys. People who go through the trouble of carrying are basically a self-selecting bunch, for the most part.

But, as for the reason I'm posting:

What if a private employer were to say, an employee can carry, if he shows that he took a basic 300-round pistol course (in other words, something above "First Shots")?

What if a private school had that policy for its teachers? (assuming no law against it)

Government school principal? County school board?

Should all of these be equally able to set a policy for it's employees? I assume most would say the private employer can.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
4HorseShoes said:
CountryGun said:
GAGunOwner said:
4HorseShoes said:
took me a little bit to think about this but your absolutely right. Most would not go and get a GWL. And those that did I would hope that they would take the proper measures to learn to shoot properly....

My only thought is that a classroom/hallway/cafeteria would be much more crowded than most areas...... but I do get your point.
I'm never "absolutely" right, but I manage to stay on the tracks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The Math Teacher said:
GAGunOwner said:
Do you know that at least some teachers already have GWLs?
They sure do.
:wink:
Ditto.

I have a friend that teaches at Beach High in Savannah. The kids come in with stuff all the time. He would love to have something, and so would I.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
4HorseShoes said:

Disagree.

If you've got a GWL (I'm not even going to attempt to address unlicensed carry right now) you ought to be able to legally carry into a school.

Do you know that at least some teachers already have GWLs? Do you now fear these teachers out and about in public? :roll:

How many teachers do you think would go run out and get a GWL (even though they curently do not have one) just because some law was passed saying they could carry on campus? My guess is that generally only the most dedicated GWL holders would carry there anyway.
This. I agree. I am all for teachers being able to able to carry in a schools with a GWL, without government mandated training.

I'm all for every private citizen who carries a gun to go out on their own and get private training to better themselves at shooting, but I am certainly not for mandatory government training, not even for teachers carrying in a school environment.

I completely agree with you.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Somehow I find the idea of a bunch of untrained liberal teachers (most are) with guns a little scary. :SHTF:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Puffyfish said:
Somehow I find the idea of a bunch of untrained liberal teachers (most are) with guns a little scary.
Do I scare you?

The untrained liberal teachers are not the ones that will be carrying guns.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm all for teachers lawfully carrying guns in school as long as they are trained and qualify in similar fashion to police standards. It's only a matter of time before the terrorists realize that by attacking a few of our elementary schools at the same time that they could change our way of life forever....just look at Beslan in 2004.

- Warning Graphic Images http://palestinename.com/heartbreak.htm - Warning Graphic Images

There isn't a parent in America who'll send their child to school the day after something like this happens here. Around a dozen or more of the terrorists who committed the Beslan attack escaped and have never been located.

Will the next major terrorist attack on U.S. soil come in the form of deadly public transportation bombings as in London and Madrid? Or will it be even more horrifying â€" hundreds of children massacred at their school, as occurred in Beslan, Russia, in September 2004?
http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Te ... r_Survival

Recommend this book.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
{TEX}Hawaii(( said:
I'm all for teachers lawfully carrying guns in school as long as they are trained and qualify in similar fashion to police standards.
This is an infringement on my Right To Bear Arms! Are you working for "Georgians for Gun Control?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts