Law Student Shot and Killed Was Unarmed

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...ro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. Malum Prohibitum

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Can cops shoot unarmed solo suspects who physically resist?
    Not according to the law, but the law only matters if other cops and the DA's office thinks it should matter.

For civilians, the rule about not using deadly force against a single unarmed adversary is really clear (outside of a "habitation") and would be vigorously prosecuted.

5. Drew

Drew Active Member

While I understand it's the law, it seems like a silly law in general. Plenty of people have been killed by someone's bare hands. Suppose a young lady who is carrying a gun is being brutally assaulted by an unarmed man in a parking garage. How is she supposed to defend herself, assuming she isn't carrying any type of nonlethal weapon?

6. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

then "preponderance of force" would come into play, even if only two individuals were involved.

7. Drew

Drew Active Member

It just seems too subjective. In a situation like that by the time you realize you need to use lethal force, it's probably too late.

8. John1976

John1976 New Member

If a suspect fights with you, you point your weapon at them and they keep coming at you after several orders to stop and get down. At that point you know its him or you. He has upped the ante to life or death.

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

We need more info, was the guy going for the cops gun at the time of the shooting?

Let someone, badge or no badge just try and take my gun away from me and see what happens. I'll go out trying, but you're not getting my gun from me without a fight.

Badge or no badge, I will try and fight back and maintain control of my firearm.

The bad guy might win, but I'm going to do my darndest to control my firearm and keep possession of it. You can take that to the bank.

I'm sure the cop may have felt the same way if he went for his gun.

Not saying that's what happened, but it would justify the shooting.

Why did this moron try to flee the scene? That needs to be answered as well. Was it just DUI, or something more sinister?

10. gunsmoker

It's called "disparity of force."

And it really means "huge disparity of force."
    Not a slight disparity, like Woody Allen fighting Martin Short.

Not like two big tough guys fighting, either-- Steven Seagal vs. Jean-Claude Van Damne.

It's got to be a big disparity, like Hillary Clinton fighting all the women Bill Clinton has shown his wiener to since they got married.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. gunsmoker