Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I habitually stop at a local restaurant after work and of course I carry a small frame automatic concealed when I do (xds 9mm). I've gotten into more than a few conversations with citizen 'lawyers' who insist it's illegal to carry if you're drinking (moderately). Most people are either not up on current law or misapply hunting regulations/laws.

A couple questions, just for my edification:
-Roughly when was drinking w/ a firearm legalized? I'm thinking around 2012 but I'm not sure which bill accomplished this.
-When was carry into a bar (vs restaurant) legalized? I think it was 2014 w/ 'guns everywhere'.

TIA for any/all replies.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
When or how much does not matter. Legality is not a big deal either. But its dumber than a brick under water to carry and consume alcohol.

Nemo

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,939 Posts
I don't believe there has been a law against carrying a consuming alcohol in GA, just 16-11-134, which bans discharging a firearm while under the influence, except for self defense.

HB89 in 2008 legalized carry in restaurants where alcohol is served.

SB308 in 2010 legalized carry in bars with the owner's permission.

HB60 in 2014 took bars off the list of off limits places.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
I don't believe there has been a law against carrying a consuming alcohol in GA, just 16-11-134, which bans discharging a firearm while under the influence, except for self defense.

that is absolutely correct. There is no law against carrying while having alcohol...

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
I've gotten into more than a few conversations with citizen 'lawyers' who insist it's illegal to carry if you're drinking (moderately).
Translation: they want it to be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I knew this was true but I couldn't put approximate dates on changes to the law(s). Things have changed drastically since I started carrying in the mid 90's but I try to stay up on current law for things that might affect me such as this.

These days there are too many people who 'know the law' and won't listen to opposing view points no matter how well it's articulated.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Steve:

It WAS true, from 2008 to 2010 ( from HB 89 to SB 308 ) that a person could sometimes carry at a restaurant that served alcohol (including sitting in the bar area of such a restaurant) but COULD NOT legally consume any alcohol there. That was unlawful, per subsection "f" of O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.
See the end of Section 4 of the legislation itself, HB 89:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20072008/85491.pdf

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts

Here's the quote from lines 21-22 of HB 89 itself, regarding newly-created subsection "f" of 16-11-127:

"(f) A person licensed or permitted to carry a firearm by this part shall not consume alcoholic beverages in a restaurant or other eating establishment while carrying a firearm. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

·
69,784 Posts
Steve:

It WAS true, from 2008 to 2010 ( from HB 89 to SB 308 ) that a person could sometimes carry at a restaurant that served alcohol (including sitting in the bar area of such a restaurant) but COULD NOT legally consume any alcohol there. That was unlawful, per subsection "f" of O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.
See the end of Section 4 of the legislation itself, HB 89:
Even from 2008-10 you could have drinks before you arrived, after you left, or anywhere else while carrying, have detectable blood alcohol level while at the restaurant, but just not consume it actually while at the restaurant.

It did not make much sense. It was to appease opponents of decriminalizing carry at a public gathering location, sort of like all the silly off-limits places in HB 280, the campus carry bill awaiting Deal's signature.

With that in mind, one might view HB 280 as a stepping stone to better things, like HB 89 was to SB 308.

·
69,784 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.