Law changed unlimited carry in auto

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by ffej, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ffej

ffej New Member

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I heard on the news today that the law has been revised to allow non-gfl holders to carry anywhich way in a car.

With all the things that need to be changed in the gfl, why would they make this change for non-gfl holders?

While I am in favor of small government, I do believe that having a license is a good thing, and increasing our numbers is a good way to show the anti's that there are many law abiding armed citizens and we are not just "crazy gun nuts".

So why not increase the freedoms for those of us who are licensed instead of for those who are not?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is not law, the bill is HB 89 and it is just arriving in the Senate, who will have to vote on it. The house voted to pass it, but that is it.

One reason is that if you have a GFL but your wife does not, if you accidently leave a firearm tucked away in your car and your wife drives it somewhere, she is breaking the law.

There are other bills being worked on right now that will do more for everyone.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/bills.php

3. Foul

Foul Guest

Even the act of demanding that citizens ask the states permission to carry, i.e. a "license", is an infringement of the 2nd Amendment.
    Why should the freedom be restricted to only one "class" of citizens?

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I respectfully disagree.

Why this bill?

Because Georgians should be able to have a firearm anywhere in their car, regardless of if they have a GFL or not.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would bet Georgia has higher rates of licensing than any other state. Or darn close. They still think we are nuts, because logic does not matter to the hysterical. Nor does the safety record of these licensed individuals.

Well, if the thought of your wife spending the weekend in Fulton or DeKalb's jail waiting on some judge to hold a bond hearing so you can get her out is not enough to convince you (guess it serves her right for not getting a license, huh?), then perhaps the following example will.

You apply for your renewal license and request a temporary renewal. The clerk refuses to issue the temporary, citing the some imaginary federal regulation that he refuses to produce. When you insist, he says, "So sue me."

Also, he tells you it will be six months before your license issues. You point out the 60 day law, and, exasperated, he exclaims, "Where are you getting all this? The internet? I wish people would stop posting that stuff, because it just isn't true!"

When you ask to speak to his superior, he holds up your license and says, "I see you did not fill in your SSN or employment information. Forget the six months. It is going to be two years and five months!" When you protest, he yells, "I've done it before, buddy, and I can do it again!"

With no temporary license, you leave the probate court, dejected. True to his word, the clerk does not issue your full five year renewal prior to the expiration of the license.

Not wanting to be shot after hearing the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police warning that they are going to shoot people without firearms licenses if HB 89 passes, you would have kept your gun in the glovebox of only it was not just one day after your license expired and you were in a hurry and you simply forgot it was under the seat where it always is . . .

The morning after your license expires, you are stopped by the police while driving your children to school. Of course, the kids are all excited to see the flashing lights. "Hey," the youngest exclaims, "That's officer Friendly! He comes to my school and tells us how to turn in our parents in exchange for a DARE T-shirt!"

After shushing your kids, you nervously await the arrival of the officer, wondering what you could have done wrong. You instinctively have your firearms license in your hand, because, unlike those unrulies over at Georgiapacking.org, you believe that an upstanding citizen should let the officer know he is carrying, as he will then know you are "one of the good guys."

When you hand the license to the officer, however, you immediately perceive that something is dreadfully wrong, as Officer Friendly's demeanor is anything but friendly. He sternly interrogates you as to whether a weapon is present, its location, and orders you to exit the car. Confused, you protest, at which point the officer points something at you and yells for you to exit the car, spit flying from his mouth. Still confused, you hear the clicking noise even over the sound of your screaming and crying kids as you pop out of the car and begin flopping around on the pavement and screaming like a 12 year old girl, uncontrollably. After he hits you a couple more times (you do hear something that vaguely sounds like Turn on your belly and stop moving or I will Taser you again," but each time you roll over to explain that there must be some mistake the pain, screaming, and crying kids starts all over again.

The rest is sort of a blur, but you end up in the stinky county lockup with no toothbrush . . . and you learn two days later at your hearing that you have been charged with carrying a concealed weapon, which Officer Friendly caught after noticing the expiration date on your license was the day before. The fact that the gun was visible will not rescue you from the charge, you are told by the lawyer your wife paid $8,000 with money borrowed from relatives.

Hopeful that you will soon be released, your mood is dashed when you learn that you were also charged with a felony for having a gun in the school parking lot, where you pulled over for the police officer.

6. Malum Prohibitum

*The above persons and situations are fictional and not intended to represent any actual probate judges, clerks, or things they may have said or done, or, for that matter, the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, who could not have possibly been so stupid as to hint that they will start shooting motorists if HB 89 passes, or Officer Friendly, or any other officer, or the use of the Taser, or any actual Dare program or other "I turned in my parents and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" school educational program. Any similarity to actual persons or events is purely coincidence.

Where was I again? :| Oh, yeah! Support HB 89! :D

7. ffej

ffej New Member

Thanks for the explaination.

And, yes, I know any law or license etc, etc, is technically an infringment, but if we are all being realistic, this country will never go "back" to the intented liberties of the 2A with no if's, and's or but's, but do you believe a background check is infringment?

Should felons have the same liberties that law abiding citizens enjoy?

I simply believe that all responsible gun owners should make the effort to aquire their state's Firearms License. As I said increasing our numbers can only show our strength and legitimacy to the anti's.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

If they have served their time, yes.

9. Foul

Foul Guest

Have they paid their debt to society?

If they've "done their time" but can't be trusted to vote or own a firearm again, then they obviously don't belong out of prison.

10. ffej

ffej New Member

Yes, that is a very good point, but how many of these now free people go on to reoffend?
    Way too many.

So, is it a prison system issue? Prisons are basically training grounds for criminals. Right or wrong, unfortunaltely that is how it is.

Maybe some kind of probationary period is needed to requalify for some of your rights.

We all know that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Unfortunately too many felons fail to "do their time" and reenter society to live a law abiding life.

One of the reasons I CHOOSE to not commit a crime is because I don't want to have my liberties taken away from me.

So, we reap what we sow.

11. ffej

ffej New Member

MZMTG -
    I love your avatar. I want one of those shirts.

12. Foul

Foul Guest

Right on the head.

Prison systems should teach criminals skills that they can use on the outside to get a legit job so they may not be so tempted to re-offend instead of a "make a better criminal training ground".
    Make them earn their way IN prison by growing their own food, making their own clothes, etc.
    Make them self sufficient and give them a fighting chance if the day ever comes that they DO reenter society.
    The ultra violent ones?
    Screw housing them for life. Death sentence. No more burden on society.

13. Malum Prohibitum

HB 89 has nothing to do with felons.

14. ffej

ffej New Member

I know. Sorry, just got carried away with another thought.

15. Foul

Foul Guest

Unfortunately, the train of thought has many forks in the tracks.

:p

16. ffej

ffej New Member

Malum -

Regarding your renewal scenario - I've seen other threads here concerning trouble with getting renewals procecced.

Has this become a widespread problem or just certain counties?

I have not come up for renewal yet, so I have no experience with it.

Thanks.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Call Columbia County and ask, "Hi, do you comply with the law that says you must issue a license not later than 60 days after the date of application?"

Let us know what they say.

Here is the phone number. https://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl2.php?id=35

Also, we would appreciate you updating the information on that page for us when you do apply, including any personal observations, like whether the probate employees were rude or helpful, that sort of thing.

18. m193

m193 New Member

Is this true?

"Not wanting to be shot after hearing the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police warning that they are going to shoot people without firearms licenses if HB 89 passes"

19. Foul

Foul Guest

They're not that stupid.
    The least of their worries would be the lawsuits leveled against them, the most would be open season on them.

20. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ Guest