Latest Addition to the collection - H&K USP 45

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dcannon1, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Picked this little guy up today with box, 3 12 round mags, Tagua leather holster and 100 rounds of blazer brass for a cool $600 8)

Got to put a couple of mags through it, and wow, I'm in love :love:

After I function test it with some good JHP it will be relegated to HD duty.

I might have to look into a compact to go with it :-k

P.S. It's a Variant 3 (DA/SA w/ De-cocker, no safety). I thought that I'd want one with a safety so I could carry cocked and locked, but the DA trigger pull, while long is pretty darn smooth (similar to a nice S&W revolver).

[​IMG]

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

They multiply like that. :shattered:

Heck of a deal too, call me envious! :mrgreen:

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

4. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Thanks!

I knew it was fairly easy to make the switch, but I didn't realize it was only 1 part. Might have to get that even if I do decide to keep it in DA/SA, just to have the option.

5. Scotsman

Scotsman New Member

Nice purchase. I'm looking to get a 45 in the near future, and have been looking at these. I've yet to shoot it, or hold one, but I doubt the grip is something I would hate. Need to go hold one

Looked at a P220, but the grip isn't right for my small and wide "bearclaw" hands.

a 1911 fits great, but am a lefty (ambi-safeties seem to "get loose" over time, from what I've read) , and not a fan of safeties.

All that has pretty much pointed me to this one. I like that I can put a safety on (left or right), if I feel the need.

6. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I have wide hands with shorter fingers and this gun fits my hand pretty nicely. If you aren't familiar with the mag release, it's right underneath the trigger guard and you press down on it to release the mag. It's an ambi release and it's actually a lot easier for me to hit it with my trigger finger when I want to drop the mag. I don't have to change my grip on the gun like I do if I want to get my thumb around to most mag releases.

I put 300 rounds through it yesterday without a single hiccup. I even ran a box of Blazer aluminum cased through it, just to see if it could handle it (not going to make that a common practice, but it did fine).

The bore is a little higher than what I'm used to on most guns and took a little getting used to. It's way more accurate than I am.

7. Scotsman

Scotsman New Member

good to know about the grip. Need to find a place that rents one, or an owner to go shooting with.

I have read that the gun sits a bit higher and a lot of people notice it/get used to it pretty quick though.

What sights came with this one?

8. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

It came with factory night sights, but I'll probably be replacing them as they look like they're only at about 50%, or less, brightness.

this gun has officially become my nightstand gun. I feel pretty well armed with 13 rounds of 230gr hornady +p at the ready.

9. ClemsonTiger

ClemsonTiger New Member

Wow, nice price! I paid full price for mine (1.5 times that, with no holster or 3rd magazine) but it was worth every penny. It's a great pistol, I haven't had any FTFs or any problems in my several hundred rounds so far. I'm now looking at getting a P2000SK in .40 S&W. :)

Bulls Eye Marksman Gun Club has a .40 USP in their rental case (according to their website at least) if you want to try one out. If that falls through, I might could find time to meet you at the range with mine.

If the grip doesn't work for you, then also check out the P30, P2000 and HK45. These are basically new and improved designs based on the USP/USPc. All of which offer changeable grip panels and Picatinny rails on the P30 and HK45, as opposed to proprietary rails on the USP, USPc, and P2000. I haven't found the rails to be an issue, but it does limit your accessory options some unless you get an adapter.

Wikipedia has a nice page on the USP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_USP