Last two; I promise.

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jccls, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jccls

jccls New Member

I'm sorry about all these questions...

1) Is a bowling alley considered a public gathering if it does not sell alcohol?

2) How close do you have to get to a bus stop while carrying concealed before you are guilty of attempted hijacking?

Thanks!

JS

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, it is in the hijacking law, but the charge would actually be carrying a deadly weapon at a terminal. You must look at the definition of "terminal" in 16-12-122 to find that it includes any designated stop along the route and a "reasonable distance adjacent to" the stop.

That is the answer in the law, and there is no more definitive answer than that.

What must the prosecutor prove? That you were three feet, four feet, from the stop? I dunno. :|

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There is a bowling alley that does not serve alcohol? :lol:

Well, assuming this hypothetical bowling alley that does not serve alcohol . . . I would say you may still fall into the trap of a sporting event. Keep in mind that Georgia has not limited sporting events to professional events. The only exception is shooting sports, and even then you must be a competitor to take advantage of the sporting event.

Since this bowling alley does not serve alcohol, are there any "church functions" going on?

Is the building publicly owned or operated?

Is there a gathering of the public for a "particular function?"

Those are the things for which you must be vigilant to avoid jail. :jail:

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

There used to be a bowling alley in Louisville, KY that was owned by a Baptist church, ergo, no beer. But, it could possibly qualify as a church function...

However, that's KY and this is GA so it probably doesn't apply..

BTW, it went out of business...

Care to guess why?

NO BEER!!!

5. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

the sad thing is,in kentucky,you could carryeven if they served beer or were having a prayer meeting or both :wink: makes me think about moving if i could figure out how to make a living :D

6. jccls

jccls New Member

Interestingly enough, Showtime Bowl has been around since I was a kid and has never (to my knowledge) sold alcoholic beverages. I think "Glow in the Dark Bowling Night" always made up for it.

Thanks for the info. It makes me realize how lame Georgia's laws are, and motivates me to call my local representative.