Landscape Gurus.....ground cover question

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by psrumors, Oct 17, 2010.

1. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

We have a couple hills that we want to cover with some sort of ivy or other cover. It currently has grass but we want something that requires a little less maintenance. The hills are probably approaching 20 degrees and get full sun. Total sqft is around 1200. The dirt is good ole GA red

Would like something that spreads rather quickly so that I don't have to buy so many plants, low lying is a big plus.

I have used cotoneaster at a previous house but it got to be too deep after a few years.

What can you all recommend?

I assume now is the time to plant so that the root system can get established before next summer.

2. livesounder

livesounder New Member

Well, since you left the door wide open....

Kudzu?

3. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Kudzu....if you want to whole county covered in it. lol

4. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

NOT juniper, since it attracts copperheads.

5. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Cartersville is already covere in it!

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Find something with seeds you can load into shotgun shells. Makes it so much easier to plant on hard clay hillsides. :lol:

On a serious note, Mondo Grass is hard to beat, but takes tons of sprigs. Crown Vetch is nice, but needs some watering. Ivy can be pretty, and is easy to establish. You can often find places to harvest runners for free. Vinca is worth thinking about too.

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

+100
    don't know about it's attractiveness to copperheads but i do know that grass will grow through that stuff and ugly it up, it's a mean, prickly ground cover to maintain.

liriope i think will look better on such a large area than mondo and will spread faster, i have a little of both in my yard. carex is also good in sun but not very drought tolerent. there are other grasses that are ornamental from these small ones on up to pampas, you can mix them up or plant some shrubbery around on those banks so it won't be boring.

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I don't like Juniper at all, but I'm stuck with some. In my experience, I've been able to use Round-Up on the grass emerging through it, and it has not effected the Juniper, even though it gets a pretty good shower of it.