Lake Lanier Islands Light Show

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Bags57, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Bags57

Bags57 Member

I'm going to the light show tonight and I was wondering if carrying is legal.
    I'm not sure if the section that the show is on is federal property or private. I seem to remember something about rules prohibiting loaded firearms on Corp of Engineer property.

Scott

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Yep

corp property is off limits to firearms, including but not limited to hand guns, rifles, shotguns, bows, cross bows, pellet/bb guns and any and all explosive devices. there are special circumstances where you would be allowed to have a firearm though. such as hunting. Even then you are required to have the weapon unloaded except while at the actual hunting site. This includes while traveling to (either by foot, car or boat) and traveling from the actual hunting site. another exception is an organized shooting event. However the unloaded conditions still apply to this too. I use to have the actual statute but since my main computer crashed I don't have it anymore. I think I remember something about getting special permission from the Comander but don't hold me to that.

3. Bags57

Bags57 Member

But is the Lake Lanier Islands area Corps property or is it private property. From what I could tell from the "Islands" website, it apeared to be private property.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is probably leased to a private entity but owned by the Corps. I do not know whether this is true.

Another issue to look at here is whether an overzealous police officer and district attorney would consider the light show a public gathering. I would be worried about that. :cry:

5. john

john New Member

lights

At the light show you are in the car driving through so I do not think it is an issue, unless you thing the lights make pretty targets then there may be a question or two.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh! I did not know that. Well, I guess then that you must follow written Army policy if you stay in your vehicle.

Don't ask, don't tell!

:lol: