Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/attorney-for-kyle-rittenhouse-locked-of-twitter-account
The high-profile attorney for Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old charged with fatally shooting two people in Kenosha, said he was locked out of his Twitter account Tuesday after posting about raising money for Rittenhouse's legal defense.
Hours after the account had been suspended, Twitter said it made a mistake in a statement to Fox News.
It's getting messy out there.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I don't have a business property to defend today. I have my house and its occupants to be concerned about. Unless something has changed, I'm aware of only TX and MO "allowing" you to defend your property with lethal force through statute.

What is the general rule, if any, in GA if you're faced with a rabid mob rioting their way through your neighborhood attempting to burn and destroy every house they can, regardless if they're occupied or not? Am I required to stand aside with my dick in my hand and let the savages have their way and hope they leave us physically unharmed?
Pull out your zip ties and start making citizens arrests?

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
That's not in my plans and won't be.
My question is strictly concerning defending a home, not a business. My plan is to act before it gets destroyed, not during or after. In other words, a preemptive strike. What can I do or not do? Where does GA draw the line? In a full scale riot or insurrection is there even a line to be crossed? Why should I let a pack of savages close on me when I have the means and ability to strike from stand-off distances?
Make up your mind. 16-3-23 sets out use of force in defense of habitation. If you want to be preemptive, get out the zip ties and go arrest. If you don't want to be preemptive, then don't.

If you just saw a mob string your neighbors up in a tree out front and feel concerned enough that you might be next then you mean to have a 16-3-21 discussion and not a defense of habitation one...

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
This needs to change in Georgia, IMO. Your property represents a part (sometimes a very large part) of your life. You've traded your life, your time, for the money to be able to afford the property, and I believe you should be legally allowed to protect that investment of your life.
You are permitted to defend your property today, just not with lethal force. The law only permits the use of lethal force to save a life. It is unlikely that there exists political will or popular opinion to reduce that standard any.

Yes, there is insurance, but ever deal with insurance companies? That's another part of your life you'll have to trade away to get back what you already had.
Un-killing a man is even harder.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Really? You consider going up to a group of "peaceful protesters" who are in the process of rioting and burning and attempt to put them in zip ties and make a citizen's arrest to be a viable tactic? How far do you think you'll get with that before you're road kill?

As for 16-3-23, unless I'm misreading it, it seems to apply only to the forcible entry or attempted forcible entry into a house. I don't see it applying to a scenario where the "peaceful protesters" only desire to remain outside and burn your house down and not actually enter it.
That was never part of my scenario. I was quite clear in my question as to what I was concerned about. Preventing my house from getting burned down. Not my neighbors getting strung up. Don't change the parameters.
You asked for options. I provided viable legal options. You don't really have an option to use 16-3-23 preemptively but I think we agree on that. Because of how you stated your concern is why I mentioned 16-3-21.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
We might agree on 16-3-23 but I think it's wrong and should be amended to reflect the current reality. I don't really care about political will or popular opinion. If sh*t's going down, there's no way I'm letting anyone, let alone a savage crowd with no respect for life, get within throwing distance of me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
I don't understand your reasoning. How does 16-3-21 not cover your concern?

·
Registered
8,946 Posts

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Should have ended this trial some days ago.
It should be exciting when they debate whether or not Rittenhouse was legally armed in front of the jury.
But the FBI drone footage is no longer available.
Does the FBI follow all riots with drones ?
The funny part here is “We’ll visit you in Gitmo NTA.” The sad part is that I made the assumption big brother was watching for undisclosed reasons for longer than anybody official wants to admit. I think the next import legal challenges in my lifetime will be obtaining secret non-public recordings to exonerate wrongly accused individuals. If we can record everything all the time to find and prosecute the guilty, we can sure as heck use the same to release the innocent.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Also tucked in the article:
Kelley said that horizontal position is consistent with a person either falling forward or lunging at someone. He also noted that Rosenbaum had a close-range gunshot wound to his hand.

"That hand was over the barrel of Mr. Rittenhouse's gun when his hand was shot?" defense attorney Richards said.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
He also said he knew he was not old enough to legally buy a firearm and so he asked his friend Dominick Black to do so on his behalf. He selected an AR-15-style weapon because "I thought it looked cool," he testified.

He said his legal understanding was that he could possess a rifle in Wisconsin but not a handgun. "If I could have legally carried a handgun, I would have carried a handgun...instead of a rifle," he testified.
This is becoming quite the PR disaster for team gun-control.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I seriously doubt that rifle would even be legal in IL
If it’s never crossed a border, that‘s a new threshold on proving a straw purchase. Like not exactly a grey area but very murky one too.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
The thing about the Rittenhouse case that is lost on the left is this:

There are problems in the court system. The unfairness of the prosecution across a range of aspects are entirely unfair and run past the legal and constitutional bounds of our system's limit.

In the Rittenhouse case, there's clear ability to defend himself with a lot of money. This was due to donations. These will hopefully surmount the unfair stacking of the court.

It's easily argued that issues in the courts in the inner city that folks thow against the wall as 'racist' are just the same unfairness that we're seeing in this trial.

There's a lost opportunity for the left who might be reasonably arguing for more fair legal process to actually point to this case and get some real justice reform that pays attention to the rights of the accused while still carrying the interest of proper and right justice (vs retribution).
Certainly not a broader fix but if granted it certainly bolsters your statements.

If the DA takes this one on the teeth, this will either support the initial protests or involve some very complex gyrations to come up with “Miscarriage of justice but not THAT miscarriage of justice!”

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Here is an op-ed by a so called "I had shotguns and hunted my whole life" expert on how he thinks Kyle was just a foolish little boy

He gives some fairly profound and wise advice ..."He should have stayed home"

Well, shouldn't the rioters and looters also stayed home?
Man. That’s a very insulated perspective. I’ve got a neighbor that shot a prowler with a rifle when she was 14 and home alone. I don’t think she went looking for trouble anymore than Rittenhouse did. He said so on the stand. There are times you’ve done nothing wrong and trouble still comes knocking. Sometimes trouble wants to make a quick buck and other times trouble wants to “f**n kill you” or “empty the entire mag” in trouble’s own words…

1 - 20 of 27 Posts