KY gun range fined $372,000. for safety violations

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

"... The state has fined the owner of Bluegrass Indoor Range in Louisville $372,000 for failure to deal with serious safety violations, including unsafe levels of lead.

The Kentucky Labor Cabinet on Tuesday said in a news release that it issued 11 citations to Lost Lodge Properties, owner of the shooting range at 4402 Kiln Court.

The citations included four for failure to abate unsafe conditions, and three repeated serious violations were for “lead, electrical, hazard communication and respirator hazards,†the news release said. ..."

"... Labor Secretary J.R. Gray said ... despite multiple promises by owners, “nothing at all had been done to clean up and take care of the lead problem.†..."

According to the story, the lead and ventilation problems are so bad they could even affect customers as well as employees. It also stated the owner was first cited in 2007 and hasn't done anything to correct the conditions since that time.

All I know for sure is, this is one place where I won't be shooting on my next visit home...

The rest of the story can be found here:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... violations

2. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

they need to hit Nick's with some of those lead environmental hazards. There really is no excuse to not have a good ventilation system and lighting.

3. GA Firing Line

GA Firing Line New Member

You're right, there is no excuse for poor ventilation and lighting. Nick's Guns (soon to be the "Georgia Firing Line") has some major upgrades planned soon. Please be patient while we work through some of these creature comfort issues. Like everything, it takes money and time.

Also, under previous ownership, the store was investigated by OSHA and found to meet environmental and safety standards. Furthermore, this store activates in OSHA "SHARP" program (headed up by some really smart folks at GA Tech) to improve environmental and safety concerns. More details on this program can be found at the link below.

http://www.osha.gov/dcsp/smallbusiness/sharp.html

We really appreciate the unfiltered feedback that shows up on this forum and will work hard to address major concerns and issues posted here (within reason of course). Furthermore, we want to be good industry citizens and continue promoting responsible firearms practices.

Finally, if you have any other constructive criticisms, I would like to invite you to send those to "[email protected]" and my folks will make every effort to address them.

Thanks,
    DK

4. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

Hey that sounds great! Nicks is one of the closest to where I work and definitely has the most inventory of any store in the area. I'm still looking for that all black Bersa UC9 though! Will be nice to see what changes are made to the place. Good luck!

On another note. I went to shoot at Hi Caliber and while their range was brightly lit and looked like it would ventilate well, as soon as there were three people in there shooting it got cloudy and that fine lead taste wafted about. So looks can be deceiving. And don't make me bring up Wild West. :lol:

5. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

Did Doug King buy Nick's Guns?

6. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

Excuse me? My health is not a "creature comfort issue".
    I could taste that range for hours after my visit - that can't
    possibly be good, no matter what OSHA says.

I will, of course, give you another chance if this issue is resolved.

7. GA Firing Line

Alabama - Forgive me, that phrase is holdover jargon from my USAF days (almost anything in an aircraft that environmental related, even oxygen systems, is referred to as "creature comforts").

Of course your health is important. That's why today we completed a multi-day lead removal and hepa vacuum process. All told, approximately 25,000 pounds of lead was removed from the backstop and then the entire range was vacuumed with special equipment. The filters in the ventilation system have been upgraded to MERV7 which also should help.

Major upgrades to ventilation infrastructure and lighting are planned for just after the new year. We're still evaluating target carrier systems and shooter stall options. Personally, I really like the setup at American Classic and would like to emulate that, but we will have to see what our facility limitations are.

Campeck--great to hear that you work near us. I can have your Bersa UC9 in black within about a week if you would like to come in and put a deposit down on it.

Again, I look forward to meeting you folks. Please stop by the store and say hi and we can discuss further. Forums can be very impersonal.

v/r,
    DK

8. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Funny. When I read the "creature comforts" comment, I was thinking more to do with lighting and other range upgrades. Not ventilation and my own health. :wink: Anyways.... good to hear. I've always liked the store. And I've got a buddy that works there. Speaking of which, I need to give him a call.

9. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Clear case of government intervening where it has no business. This would have self corrected itself without the need of government intervention. The business owner would have lost repeat business due to customers dying of lead exposure and would have adjusted his practices. Will the government let capitalism alone for one second to prove how well it works? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

10. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

I'm not really sure that having dead customers is really a good business practice. Unless you work in a funeral home or morgue.

eta: Did I fail to catch the sarcasm? Or ...... :screwy:

11. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Don't trash the lead, send it to me!!!!!!!!

12. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

It's a "Commie Pinko Plot"! Just let all of the gun owners die of lead poisoning. :sly:

13. slammy

slammy New Member

Heck with it CLOSE THEM ALL DOWN,,,
    GEEEZZZZZ

14. GA Firing Line

Savvy - The lead this time around was shipped off to a small company in Florida that specializes in fishing sinker manufacturing. The next range maintenance is scheduled for the last week in June. Stop by the shop and I'm sure we can hook you up.

15. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

argh!!!!! I'll try my best to remember!! Thanks

16. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

DeKalb PD had the same problem and got closed down. So they just took over the public's range and now call it their own. Public now gets access a whopping 2 days a month..

17. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Yes you failed to catch the sarcasm.