Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Few days ago made a purchase at my local Kroger. One of my items required showing ID.

My GWL is on a wallet flap and easier to show than digging out my GADL.

Even though I look double 21 easily and even though my state issued GWL shows my DOB, the young lady said it was a no-go.

She had to see my drivers license. <sigh>

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
I tried my passport card on them once. Had to call the senior cash register person over for approval.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
It's just that they are too dumb and lazy to verify any ID other than a driver's license. DL's are probably presented as ID 99.999% of the time, and it's what clerks are accustomed to seeing for ID. If you deviate from the norm and they have to power up more than three synapses to make a decision, there are bound to be problems.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
If they accept I.D. in the form of driver's licenses from any state, including far away states whose licenses are rarely offered for I.D. in Georgia supermarkets, then they should accept other kinds of government-issued I.D. that they may not see all that often either.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
To the OP: did you challenge the decision and ask for manager? I would venture to say you probably did not.

My standard response in that situation is something like “I don’t have my drivers license with me because I’m not actually driving at the moment. I do however have my Weapons carry license with me, because I am actually Legally carrying a weapon at the moment. If you had a fishing license, would you show it even when you’re not fishing?“

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
So how much Sudafed were you buying? :popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
This is just a guess, but it may be that the software they are using doesn't have a category for GWCL.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,696 Posts
What software? The Kroger clerk comes over when I scan my beer, looks at my DL, and enters manually the birthdate he reads from the DL into the self check. That's what I see, anyway. The clerk could also read the birthdate from my GWCL, too...but that would probably throw most of these clerks off kilter.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
None. I was buying something else that was cold and better for colds anyway, at least for grownups. ;-)

So how much Sudafed were you buying? :popcorn:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I didn't want to raise a stink. Was too tired anyway. But I did use their website form to send a comment. We'll see what they reply.

To the OP: did you challenge the decision and ask for manager? I would venture to say you probably did not.

My standard response in that situation is something like “I don’t have my drivers license with me because I’m not actually driving at the moment. I do however have my Weapons carry license with me, because I am actually Legally carrying a weapon at the moment. If you had a fishing license, would you show it even when you’re not fishing?“

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
That's for State of Kansas.?
In the Matter of THE KROGER CO.
ASSURANCE OF VOLUNTARY COMPLIANCE​
This Assurance of Voluntary Compliance ("Assurance") is entered into between the Attorneys General of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Guam and The Kroger Co., a for-profit corporation incorporated under the laws of Ohio (hereafter referred to as "the Company").!​
III. E. 8. Unless otherwise required by law, the Company shall have a policy that only the following forms of photo-I.D. are acceptable for purposes of establishing legal age to purchase tobacco:
(a) Driver's License; (b) State-Issued Identification Card;
(c) Passport; (d) Military-issued Identification Card; and (e) U.S. Immigration Card. The I.D. must be current and valid.
In regards to the purchase of alcoholic beverages I think a good case could be made for the use of a GWL as a "proper form of identification":

§ 3-3-23 - Furnishing to, purchase of, or possession by persons under 21 years of age of alcoholic beverages; use of false identification; proper identification;
(d) The prohibition contained in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply with respect to the sale of alcoholic beverages by a person when such person has been furnished with proper identification showing that the person to whom the alcoholic beverage is sold is 21 years of age or older. For purposes of this subsection, the term "proper identification" means any document issued by a governmental agency containing a description of the person, such person's photograph, or both, and giving such person's date of birth and includes, without being limited to, a passport, military identification card, driver's license, or an identification card authorized under Code Sections 40-5-100 through 40-5-104. "Proper identification" shall not include a birth certificate and shall not include any traffic citation and complaint form.

O.C.G.A. 40-5-100 through 104 Just say the DMV is authorized to issue non-driving ID cards, the regulations for same, the applicant is to provide proof and the fees.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
What software? The Kroger clerk comes over when I scan my beer, looks at my DL, and enters manually the birthdate he reads from the DL into the self check. That's what I see, anyway. The clerk could also read the birthdate from my GWCL, too...but that would probably throw most of these clerks off kilter.
If date of birth is all that is required, then I agree with you it should be OK to use your gub'mint issued GWCL.

But if it's pharmaceutical item, their software may require the State of issuance and the actual DL number.

Until now, you hadn't said what you were buying other than it required ID.

That leaves some open territory.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some cool and fizzy stuff.

If date of birth is all that is required, then I agree with you it should be OK to use your gub'mint issued GWCL.

But if it's pharmaceutical item, their software may require the State of issuance and the actual DL number.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,696 Posts

Good point. I'll check that out at my local Kroger.

·
Cross-drawer
7,332 Posts
That's for State of Kansas.?
From the document:
In the Matter of THE KROGER CO.
ASSURANCE OF VOLUNTARY COMPLIANCE
This Assurance of Voluntary Compliance ("Assurance") is entered into between the Attorneys General of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Guam and The Kroger Co., a for-profit corporation incorporated under the laws of Ohio (hereafter referred to as "the Company").!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.