Knives-Automatic Open

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by 4HorseShoes, Jan 14, 2011.

1. 4HorseShoes

4HorseShoes New Member

About 3 years ago while walking to my car from a Trout fishing trip on the Hooch I found this incredible Benchmade 9100 series knife in the middle of the road. I actually posted in a lost and found fashion on the local fishing forums with no claimers.

This knife has a button auto open feature.

link here http://www.benchmade.com/products/9100#skus

Ive been reading back and forth and I have a question about the legality of me carrying this knife around with or without a GWL.

The more I read about this knife you can only purchase one if you are active military or LEO or in some cases 1st responders.

I know this is primarily a gun forum but any help from any LEO or knowledgeable source would be great.

I like the knife and use it when hunting/fishing all the time but I don't want to get in trouble on the chance I may have it with me one day and...... [-X

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If the blade is over 5 inches you can carry it with your GWL under state law and you don't have to worry about local ordinances.

If it is 5 inches or less than that you can carry it without a GWL BUT there are several local jurisdictions that have ordinances against it so watch out.

IANAL but as far as federal law I think (but do not know for sure) you are only prohibited from obtaining one in interstate commerce (like ordering it through the mail or something like that).

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

It used to baffle me, in another state, years ago all the illegal-to-possess knives that were sold openly at gun shows and flea markets. Some laws are designed to be selectively applied, piled on when needed.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

And don't even think about an ice pick

6. 4HorseShoes

4HorseShoes New Member

Thanks for the link. I thought I did a search earlier before I posted but must not have searched properly.

Its great that I can carry it, I wish I could have it sharpened by Benchmade but it sounds like I'm out of luck, time to break out the old Lansky System.

I still feel sorry for the guy that lost it! :(

7. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Check out the knives with the "speed-safe" feature from Kershaw.

Basically it has a torsion mechanism to it and if you apply just a bit of pressure to a finger tab on the back side of it, it will flip open. It has the thumb tab, but the finger flip is much faster.

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I have a few of these. My snap-on dealer sells Kershaw knives on the truck.