Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago while walking to my car from a Trout fishing trip on the Hooch I found this incredible Benchmade 9100 series knife in the middle of the road. I actually posted in a lost and found fashion on the local fishing forums with no claimers.

This knife has a button auto open feature.

link here http://www.benchmade.com/products/9100#skus

Ive been reading back and forth and I have a question about the legality of me carrying this knife around with or without a GWL.

The more I read about this knife you can only purchase one if you are active military or LEO or in some cases 1st responders.

I know this is primarily a gun forum but any help from any LEO or knowledgeable source would be great.

I like the knife and use it when hunting/fishing all the time but I don't want to get in trouble on the chance I may have it with me one day and...... [-X

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
If the blade is over 5 inches you can carry it with your GWL under state law and you don't have to worry about local ordinances.

If it is 5 inches or less than that you can carry it without a GWL BUT there are several local jurisdictions that have ordinances against it so watch out.

IANAL but as far as federal law I think (but do not know for sure) you are only prohibited from obtaining one in interstate commerce (like ordering it through the mail or something like that).

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
It used to baffle me, in another state, years ago all the illegal-to-possess knives that were sold openly at gun shows and flea markets. Some laws are designed to be selectively applied, piled on when needed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Check out the knives with the "speed-safe" feature from Kershaw.

Basically it has a torsion mechanism to it and if you apply just a bit of pressure to a finger tab on the back side of it, it will flip open. It has the thumb tab, but the finger flip is much faster.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
JeF4y said:
Check out the knives with the "speed-safe" feature from Kershaw.

Basically it has a torsion mechanism to it and if you apply just a bit of pressure to a finger tab on the back side of it, it will flip open. It has the thumb tab, but the finger flip is much faster.
I have a few of these. My snap-on dealer sells Kershaw knives on the truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts