Knife Sharpener?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Phil1979, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Can someone suggest a good sharpener around $30 or less that would be good for sharpening pocket knives such as a Gerber partially serrated blade?

2. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

not less than 30 but the spyderco sharpmaker is good.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I will tell you that sharpening partially serrated blades is a pain. There is no easy solution for it, which is why I avoid these kinds of blades. If you just need to hone the blade, then a strop may work well. If you need to actually sharpen the blade, then you could get sharpening stones (e.g. wet stones or oil stones) that would last a long time - assuming that the edge on the blade is a straight edge ("V" edge). If the edge on your blade is convex, then sandpaper on a mouse pad would be an economical solution. For the serrations, you will need a stone/hone designed for handling serrations like the Buck Diamond Pocket Sharpener - which is pretty cheap (~$15).

4. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

5. Georgia1911

Georgia1911 Member

I have water stones all the way up to 5,000 grit for my kitchen knives, but have good luck with DMT diamond products (325, 600 and 1,200) for pocket knives. They make some round products within your budget for serrated knives. Search on Amazon for a good selection.

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

When I get that far I just use a piece of notebook paper. The rough side of course...

;)

7. Georgia1911

Georgia1911 Member

:lol:

8. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

In my considerable experience (see my sig), sharpening is either art or science. Art is dollar cheap and experience expensive, and science is dollar expensive and experience cheap. You can choose where you want to spend capital.

Sharpening as an art would be a set of cheap Arkansas stones, some 3-in-1 oil, and a round diamond file for the serrations. You'll be out less than $50, but you'll have to learn how to judge and maintain an angle.

Sharpening as a science would be something like the Wicked Edge system. Doesn't really have much of a learning curve, but costs over $500 minimum.

There are things in the middle that generally don't work very well for either school of thought. They don't have enough science in them to make them idiot proof, but they have just enough engineering to keep you from "feeling" your way to a good edge.

9. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

I use a wicked edge pro pack 2 as does MesaCranker and Archangel, it's s crazy awesome system...

10. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I luvs my Wicked Edge. It is not cheap for sure, but it puts a SWEET edge on a knife.

Besides my EDC knives, my kitchen knives are SCARY sharp.

11. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I have a Lansky Sharpening Set. The three stone set is under $30, but I prefer the 5 stone set. It's the only way I can get an edge on a blade.

12. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Works very well on the blades around my house. It does take a bit of finageling at the beginning but after that they are quick and cut well.

Nemo

https://www.worksharptools.com/

13. Casual User

Casual User Member

I've had the 5 stone Lansky for 20 years or so, it's $31 from Amazon, and you can order extra stones for serrated blades.