Knife Questions

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by blare, May 5, 2007.

1. blare

blare New Member

I decided to replace my old Kershaw because the speed safe stopped working. At first I got the Kershaw Chive cause the blade is less than 2 inches for school "safety." but I'm looking for something bigger.

However, I want to keep under the 3 inches that some counties and cities enforce. I've only found the Kershaw Leek and CRKT M16. Does anyone have any review or opinions on these?

Leek
    [​IMG]

M16 the bottom one

[​IMG]

2. bbruce

bbruce New Member

I understand you want something bigger, but don’t forget that Kershaw will fix your Speed-Safe torsion bar for free (and sharpen the knife as well). Check out their warranty page: http://www.kershawknives.com/warranty.php
    Hope this helps.
    Oh, I personally carry the Scallion and like it a lot.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I've carried a Leek since December and could not be happier with it.

4. blare

blare New Member

I actually didn't know about the warranty! Thanks for the link. I think I'll probably go with the leek. Wish I could find a black one. Thanks guys

5. USMC - Retired

6. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

I have a leek and carry it when I dress up to go out. I mainly carry the blur (open 7 3/4") which is an awsome knife. Kershaw has some of the best and most durable knives I have seen in a long time.
    :2cents:

7. USMC - Retired

I own a couple of Gerbers as well but I find them a bit bulky for daily carry.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Benchmade Griptillian FTW

[​IMG]

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got a Gerber. It isn't too bulky for me.

10. USMC - Retired

Well I guess it would really depend on which Gerber and what your normal daily dress is. I have a couple of gators and I wear "business casual" to work most days, so a slimmer knife works best for me...

11. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I carry a Spyderco clip-it, which is about 2 1/4" blade...I forget which series it is....But it is razor sharp, no joke...I got it for about $40 a few years back....If I can the pic, I'll post it....I've always wanted one of the Ken Onion desgins, but the price is a bit up there....

12. USMC - Retired

Skoky Mountain Knife Works has them for $52.99. You can sometimes find them cheaper than that...

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

about a 4-5" blade and usually just jeans or cargo pants to school. i guess i'll have to step it up a notch at NAVAIR.

14. USMC - Retired

Plus working on at a military facility you'll be restricted to three inch blades or less. The Leek comes in right under the wire.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Plus working on at a military facility you'll be restricted to three inch blades or less. The Leek comes in right under the wire.[/quote:98j4z259]

I've got a Winchester blade right about 3". I might just have to switch to that one. I assumed I wouldn't be able to have one at all. I guess I better go with none of them on my first day next Monday to see how it is first.

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

This is what I carry:
    [​IMG]
    But mine is all silver, and I took the clip off.
    I like having a spare blade just a flip away and being able to "sharpen" it by dumpstering and replacing the standard razor blades. :righton:

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

18. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

Been carrying a spyderco like this for a few years....handles great. I can have it out and open in a split second with one hand. It is esay to conceal in your hand at your side for its size. The position of the lock allows you to palm the lock for quite open and closes when needed(no click of the blade locking.

[​IMG]

19. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Get an Emerson Commander or mini commander with the "wave". I've carried a full sized Commander every day for the last 7 years. It opens faster than the auto knive I collect. If you don't like the size of the mini commander you can get the CQC-14 for those environments with strict 3" or less rules. They ain't cheap but you get what you pay for.

I've carried Spyderco's, CRKT's, Gerber's, Benchmades, Original MOD's, Al Mar's, and a SOG over the years. I use them hard. The Gerbers, Al Mar and SOG broke. The SOG was a total P.O.S.

The Spyderco, CRKT's, and Benchmade's are good knives but slow(er) to open, don't hold an edge as long as a high end knife, and will rust. That and I think the spyderco's are just plain ugly. The CRKT with the tanto point is a great knife if your on a budget. It is also the most prone to rust. The benchmades seem to be prone to collect gunk in the pivot point and get harder and harder to open as time goes on.

The original (pre Blackhawk) M.O.D.'s are awsome but very expensive. I keep the two I have left in the safe. I hope that customs peckerwood in Dubai knicks himself and gets lockjaw from the third one.