Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been on municode tonight and was looking for places i go that have laws on the books....i found one in the city of Valdosta
Sec. 70-5. - Possession of knives, razors and ice picks.

It shall be unlawful for any person to have, possess or carry upon the streets, alleys, sidewalks or in any public place in the city any of the following implements unless they are securely wrapped so as not to be readily available for harmful use:

(1) Any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle, the blade of which when open projects from the handle more than two inches;
(2) Any knife which has any obstruction or other device of any kind which holds the blade partly open, the blade of which when open projects from the handle more than two inches;
(3) Any knife of any kind, except for hunting or sporting purposes only while carried in an exposed manner, the blade of which when open projects from the handle more than three inches; this is intended to include all knives such as butcher knives and/or knives which do not close and any type knife with the blade open;
(4) Any razor or razor blade; or
(5) Any ice pick or similar device having a sharp point, except this shall not apply to any person delivering ice
anyone had any problems carrying knives since the definition of a "weapon" changed at the state level?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I looked at the codes for Peachtree City and Fayette County and saw no knife related codes (unless I missed them) and also Henry County which seems to have the same wording as Valdosta. I haven't been carrying my knife since it's 4-3/4", I'd rather just get one over 5" and avoid the issue.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I usually carry a leatherman that has a 3" blade... It's pretty sad when you can't legally carry a TOOL. I thought that was what separated us from most animals...It's like we're de-evolving.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, I've never thought about the knife issue since everyone around here seems to carry one, and it's used mostly as a tool. The one I currently carry has a 3 3/8" blade with assist open, guess I need to look into the legality of carrying it. I guess I could just get a 5" blade to carry but that is huge to have in a pocket.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
It has been years since I have heard of any issues with local ordinances being enforced in this state.
But,........

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Am I reading GA Law wrong?
For the purpose of the law it defines a knife as having a blade over 5" long. I was understanding that if you have a blade over 5" long it is treated in the same regard as a handgun. Under 5" there is no law meaning that anyone can carry one.

OK If I am wrong please lead me to the proper code section. My EDC is under 5".

·
Registered
90 Posts
IcarryOPEN said:
For the purpose of the law it defines a knife as having a blade over 5" long. I was understanding that if you have a blade over 5" long it is treated in the same regard as a handgun. Under 5" there is no law meaning that anyone can carry one.

From my understanding:

Over 5" is a weapon according the state.
5" and under isn't a weapon according to the state.

A GWL holder can carry an over-5"-bladed knife anywhere he can carry a handgun, because it is a weapon, and is covered by the GWL.
By the state's definition, if it's 5" or under anyone can carry it without breaking state law, because it isn't a weapon.

But if Atlanta considers a 3" (or whatever blade length 5" or shorter) knife to be a weapon while the state doesn't, you won't be breaking any state laws by carrying it, but you'll be breaking Atlanta law.

So if you want to carry a 3" knife, you may break some city laws while doing so, depending on where you go. If you want to be sure to not break any laws, carry a knife over 5" blade length and leave it with your carry gun when you go somewhere prohibited.

IANAL, YMMV, etc.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
pianissimo357 said:
IcarryOPEN said:

From my understanding:

A GWL holder can carry an over-5"-bladed knife anywhere he can carry a handgun, because it is a weapon, and is covered by the GWL.
By the state's definition, if it's 5" or under anyone can carry it without breaking state law, because it isn't a weapon.

But if Atlanta considers a 3" (or whatever blade length 5" or shorter) knife to be a weapon while the state doesn't, you won't be breaking any state laws by carrying it, but you'll be breaking Atlanta law.

So if you want to carry a 3" knife, you may break some city laws while doing so, depending on where you go. If you want to be sure to not break any laws, carry a knife over 5" blade length and leave it with your carry gun when you go somewhere prohibited.

IANAL, YMMV, etc.
So why would a GWL not cover a blade length shorter then that in those locations? I can carry a firearm CC/OC but not a Gerber Multi-tool in a sheath?
:screwy: I wonder if it is something that can be challanged at a local level?
( Trolls and Trolls in training-------I AM NOT SAYING I AM GOING TO SO PLEASE DON'T GO THERE )

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
IcarryOPEN said:
pianissimo357 said:
IcarryOPEN said:

From my understanding:

IANAL, YMMV, etc.
So why would a GWL not cover a blade length shorter then that in those locations? I can carry a firearm CC/OC but not a Gerber Multi-tool in a sheath?
:screwy: I wonder if it is something that can be challanged at a local level?
( Trolls and Trolls in training-------I AM NOT SAYING I AM GOING TO SO PLEASE DON'T GO THERE )
Because the legislature only wanted it to cover weapons. I can only assume they didn't think about local-level regulation of something as innocuous as knives. Half of them probably illegally carry knives when in session.

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
JKirby said:
I guess I could just get a 5" blade to carry but that is huge to have in a pocket.
It has to be over 5" for the state to kick in.

P.S.
I found an over 5" blade folding knife and carried it for some time after the law changed but I have recently decided to stop carrying it (or any knife at all). A 5+ inch bladed knife, even a folder, is just too big for comfortable EDC. I'm turning into more of a compact carry sort of guy. With my primary carry gun, my BUG, and extra mags for both I already carry enough :shattered: . I don't want to lug that big knife around and worry about ignorance in an encounter. Also, I don't want to take a chance with local ordinances when it comes to more normal knives. Georgia's knife laws need some changes badly.

·
Registered
595 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
JKirby said:
I guess I could just get a 5" blade to carry but that is huge to have in a pocket.
It has to be over 5" for the state to kick in.

P.S.
I found an over 5" blade folding knife and carried it for some time after the law changed but I have recently decided to stop carrying it (or any knife at all). A 5+ inch bladed knife, even a folder, is just too big for comfortable EDC. I'm turning into more of a compact carry sort of guy. With my primary carry gun, my BUG, and extra mags for both I already carry enough :shattered: . I don't want to lug that big knife around and worry about ignorance in an encounter. Also, I don't want to take a chance with local ordinances when it comes to more normal knives. Georgia's knife laws need some changes badly.
That isn't fair :-/ There aren't a lot of knives over w/ blades over 5 inches period... Even Benchmade fixed blades are like, 4.5

GA should crack down

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The "box cutter" / "razor blade" crap has always left me saying "HUH???". What if you use one on your job. I've gone to shipping/receiving docks where the dock workers ask me if I have a knife so we can cut the shrink wrap of the pallets. They can't have a knife, against company policy. They're working on the docks and need one you idiots.

Common sense isn't so common anymore.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,066 Posts
Before I'd carry a knife under 5" (blade length) in violation of some local criminal law, I'd research this. I'd look up the Municipal Home Rule Act code sections like 36-35-3 (authorizing local governments to pass local criminal laws) and 36-35-6 (limits on those powers and the preemption issue).

So the legislature said you can carry big knives with a weapons permit. In some ways this made Georgia's knife laws more restrictive (open carry w/o permit no longer legal) but in other ways it make the knife laws more permissive (state preemption on big knives, AND fewer places off-limits).

But the legislature did not expressly declare that it was preempting local regulation of small knives. It's not like the gun control issue, where the legislature's law on this subject was crystal-clear and announced their specific intent to preempt as a matter of public policy.

I'm leaning toward the side of NO state preemption of local knife ordinances for small knives.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,217 Posts
Bringing an older thread back to life because some local knife ordinances are still on the books, such as in LaGrange.

Thankfully we got knife preemption with SB432 in 2012.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts