Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
(2) Any knife which has any obstruction or other device of any kind which holds the blade open, the blade of which when open projects from the handle more than two (2) inches.

(3) Any knife of any kind, the blade of which when open projects from the handle more than three (3) inches. This is intended to include all knives such as butcher knives or other knives which do not close.
So does this mean a lock blade is limited to 2 inches, but a swiss army knife blade (or other non-locking folder) or a fixed blade is limited to 3 inches?

·
68,118 Posts
Frankly, I think the law is too confusing, with no preemption and all, to even consider carrying a serious defensive knife.

Who is to say when you carry a Bowie knife openly on a belt holster that you are not violating some local law?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Malum Prohibitum said:
Frankly, I think the law is too confusing, with no preemption and all, to even consider carrying a serious defensive knife.

Who is to say when you carry a Bowie knife openly on a belt holster that you are not violating some local law?
I agree. I gave up on carrying knives of any type.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:

I am saving this for a rainy day when I have nothing to do... which seems far away at this point.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
looks like the assisted opening knives like the kershaw i carry, and will continue to carry, clipped to my back pocket each and everyday is against the law in many of the jurisdictions i do work in. it's only got a 2 1/2 inch blade but clearly spring loaded. :shock:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
zookeper said:
looks like the assisted opening knives like the kershaw i carry, and will continue to carry, clipped to my back pocket each and everyday is against the law in many of the jurisdictions i do work in. it's only got a 2 1/2 inch blade but clearly spring loaded. :shock:
Depends on the definition of spring. Switchblade knives have coil type springs (what most picture a spring to be).

The Kershaws use a torsion bar.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
[Depends on the definition of spring. Switchblade knives have coil type springs (what most picture a spring to be).

But a coil spring is nothing but a torsion spring wound about an axis. So they are actually.....

Oops, I almost started using real, technical knowledge and logic to disect a legal matter. Let me try again:

Right on, the look different so they must be completely different. Ban the scary looking one!

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Sine Nomen said:
Gunstar1 said:
[Depends on the definition of spring. Switchblade knives have coil type springs (what most picture a spring to be).

But a coil spring is nothing but a torsion spring wound about an axis. So they are actually.....

Oops, I almost started using real, technical knowledge and logic to disect a legal matter. Let me try again:

Right on, the look different so they must be completely different. Ban the scary looking one!
:righton: Exactly!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:

In all honesty, unless you know how to knife fight and have some experience in it, I'd recommend not bothering with a defensive knife and sticking to a concealed pistol or something else for several reasons:

1) Knife fighting is a lot harder to learn and execute correctly than gun fighting. Might as well go for the easier, and just as deadly, option.

2) Knives are generally as restricted as pistols in places you can carry them. So you might as well go for the option that gives you more fire power.

Carrying around a decent knife to be used as a tool though, I highly recommend.

·
68,118 Posts
It sure is more silent than a firearm, and it gives you that up close and personal satisfaction.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
It sure is more silent than a firearm, and it gives you that up close and personal satisfaction.
Is the President of GCo advocating getting wet?! :shock:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Oh, it's a lot quieter than a firearm. It's a great tool if you're going on a killing spree and don't want to sound the alarm too early. But a "self-defense knife" implies that you'd pull it out when attacked by someone else in order to defend your life/property/etc. In that case your first priority is winning and silence, while golden, is a lot farther down the list.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":du7a33vs]It sure is more silent than a firearm, and it gives you that up close and personal satisfaction.
Is the President of GCo advocating getting wet?! :shock:[/quote:du7a33vs]

:shock: :shock:

·
16,485 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
USMC - Retired said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":3qzkhvg9]It sure is more silent than a firearm, and it gives you that up close and personal satisfaction.
Is the President of GCo advocating getting wet?! :shock:
:shock: :shock:[/quote:3qzkhvg9]
I wonder what color that tie was when he bought it...

·
Registered
906 Posts
I carry my Kershaw Ken Onion to open boxes...you never know when you are going to come across a taped up box...

oh, the second knife on my weak side?? Thats incase my first knife breaks or becomes too dull opening all those boxes :evil:
:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah, I use knives for tasks other than killing people also, like cutting rope, sharpening pencils, cleaning under the fingernails, opening bags/boxes, etc

·
16,485 Posts
jeepsterwannabe said:
Yeah, I use knives for tasks other than killing people also, like cutting rope, sharpening pencils, cleaning under the fingernails, opening bags/boxes, etc
++ Knives are terrible weapons for killing people.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
jeepsterwannabe said:
Sadly that's what mine gets used for the most. Good thing it hasn't jumped out my pocket and killed someone yet. I better not take it anywhere anymore. :roll:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
GAGunOwner said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

I decided to take a chance and start carrying a small pocket knife, mostly for use as a tool.

·
16,485 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
GAGunOwner said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

I decided to take a chance and start carrying a small pocket knife, mostly for use as a tool.
And sometimes for use as a banana?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts