Knife fighting/defense DATE CHANGE Nov 20th

Discussion in 'Training' started by Scott 40s&w, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

Centerfire Training will host Paul Gay for a dynamic 8 hour course on using the common folding knife. This is a very important training for several reasons. There is no background check required to purchase a knife so everyone can carry one. Knives do not run out of ammunition. Knife wounds are visible and induce fear, as much as, if not more than handgun wounds. It is legal to carry a knife in more places than a handgun. For traveling overseas you can pack a dive knife or you can pick up a knife when you arrive and discard it before you return. I have taken a knife to Canada, Mexico, France, Belgium and several islands. Just look at how much damage was done with a $2 box cutter on 9/11. Don't wait till it is too late to learn this valuable material.

Do not buy a knife for this class, bring what you have. You will learn about the features that make a quality knife. If you don't have one let me know and I'll provide one for training.

Please register on http://www.centerfiretraining.com

The instructor has a family conflict on Nov 6th New date is Nov 20th

2. samman23

samman23 New Member

Re: Knife fighting/defense on Nov 6th

is this a class for how to defend against someone using a knife against you or more towards how to use a knife when you can not have a gun?

3. 175FO

175FO Member

One thing to know about knife fighting is you are going to get cut.

4. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

We will cover defense against a knife attack and some use of the knife for self defense.

You may not get cut if you can convey the message to the attacker that you are not afraid of the knife he has and are willing to stand your ground and fight with your knife. I do agree that if it is knife fight and you stay in it very long you will get cut but it is not a sure thing.

5. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Maybe but do not get into that situation saying to yourself "I am going to get cut"

6. 175FO

175FO Member

No actually I was thinking of that in the opposite perspective, you should be aware that you will get cut, but you shouldn't let that deter you from defending yourself. I'm sure most people who are about to be attacked with a knife would try to think of a way to defend themselves without getting cut. Things like hiding, running away etc.... when it may be better to grap the nearest object that can be used as a weapon and go at it.

7. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

A true knife fighter that is planning on attacking you will never reveal their intent. The advantage to the knife is stealth. If they show it early they give away most of their advantage. Therefore if you seeit for a few feet away it is easier to handle it. I have read about fights where guys thought they were in a fist fight and it turned out the attacker had a knife and was cutting with every blow of the fist.

8. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

That is so true and martialartist knife defence training is so artificial.

9. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

I'll know in a couple of days if my schedule opens up for the 6th. If Signal 69 is attending this class, I'm bringing a sword. And some good runnin' shoes.

10. samman23

samman23 New Member

where's the location of this course?

11. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

MAP

12. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

If Signal 69 is attending....
    you should probably just go ahead and bring a gun, because if he gets close enough for you to use a sword - you're toast.
    :wink:

13. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Scott,

Can you give us an overview how the knives are used in the class? Are we using deployed knives against each other?

I've never done a knife class so I don't know how it works.

Mike

14. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

This, a friend of mine was confronted by 2 guys wanting to fight. I got in the middle to try and deescalate things, and while I was paying attention to the guy closest to me, the other guy punched me in the chest. I hit him, and he ran. I went after him, only to realize after a few steps that I had a gaping hole in my right center chest. He plunged a 7in blade in me, and I thought I was just punched. Luckily no vital areas were hit, and I was good as new with 44 stitches.
    That would be the reason I carry ALWAYS now. You show me a knife, and you will be aerated.

15. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

THIS! In most knife fights, you never even see the knife...

Glad you survived that encounter!!!

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you will pair up and knife fight. Only half the class will pass. :D

17. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Which explains Tim's voice mail .......... "you ready for carvin', Turkey". I thought he was wishing me a happy Thanksgiving. :shock:

18. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

The actual force on force training is with training knives. No one sholud get cut, bruised maybe. This is an excellent class for those with little knife training.
    Since I can't carry a gun at work and I can carry a knife I feel It is important to know a few things about them.

If you are planning on attending I need to know ASAP.

19. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

I talked with Dr Gay and he has a family conflict for this Saturday. We will reschedule for Nov 20th. Sorry for any problems this may cause. Hopefully this will allow more people to take advantage of this excellent training. There are still seats available for this course. No experience required.

20. samman23

samman23 New Member

Does Dr. Gay come from a Philipino martial arts background?