Knife designed for a purpose of offense and defense...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by ICP_Juggalo, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I was wondering who, in addition to their pistol, carries a knife on their person. I would like to carry a knife to have as a backup and to have at public gathering when I must leave the pistol behind. Since the wording of the statute prohibits the carrying of a knife designed for a purpose of offense and defense, I was wondering what knives do some of you reccommend and that is not designed for a purpose of offense and defense and would be public gathering safe.

I have my eye on this one particlar knife right now. It is made by Fury and it is the Equator model. I have looked everywhere online and can't seem to find any documentation indicating whether it is or isn't a knife designed for offense and defense. It handles and "feels" very nice and comfortable and given where I am at, at the moment, with public gatherings everywhere, I would like to be able to walk down the street not worrying if I am breaking the law. I appreciate any comments you may have.

Fury Equator

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I carry a Paraframe II half serated. 20 bucks at Wally world. I used to carry Spyderco's but the Delica won't stay in my pocket and the Endura always drew comments when I pulled it out to cut something.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have a couple of Kershaw assisted opening (one hand spring open) knives and a Columbia River cam lock knife (blade folds sideways) that I carry. The small Kershaw is carried when I have my gun, the larger Kershaw or CR knives are typically for when I cannot carry a gun.

Each availible at wally world for under $50.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I carry a Benchmade 3550 at all times. I bought it while I was on active duty and was legally able to and since it is not crossing state lines I can carry in Georgia. Well at least that's what my lawyer tells me...

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

ICP_Juggalo, I would not want to have somebody hold that thing up in front of a jury after I stabbed someone. Even before he named it ("Fury?"), the jury would see what looks like a giant version of a switchblade straight out of West Side Story.

Then, their thoughts turn to you.

Any knife with an agressive sounding name is out for carry (in my estimation). Rambo knife, Fury, Death Dealer, Jugular cutter, Stormbringer (some of you scifi/fantasy fans might recall that last one) . . . none of these are going to do you any good at trial.

I would not carry a knife unless is says something like "Buck" ("Hey," says the jury foreman during deliberations, "My grandpa gave me one of those when I was in grade school"), Old Timer, Gerber ("Who can find fault with a knife named afer baby food?), Schrade, you get the idea.

My Buck knife can open both jugulars and the windpipe with one swipe (well, unless people are tougher than deer, which I doubt -nobody panicked for just a second, did they? :lol: ), and it looks very non-threatening on the belt.

It does not open quickly, however.

When I was a police officer, I always intended to get one of those Gerber one-handed models, but never got around to it. They are very popular with the police.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

When I was a police officer, I carried one called "widow maker." How would that go over with the jury, MP?

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

What jury, you would have been exempt as a LEO. Just us normal people have to watch out.

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I didn't exactly say where that knife is now. 8)

9. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

That was Elric's blade and as I remember it had a mind of it's own.