Kindle or Nook

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by The Math Teacher, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Kindle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nook

50.0%
  3. Sony

25.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Paper

25.0%
  1. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Kindle and Nook are portable devices meant for reading ebooks. These devices can also read PDF files and playback audio files.

Does anybody have one?
    Want one?

Someday all books will be electronic.
    :wink:

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I have a Nook. While I like it a lot, it does still seem to have some bugs. Mine has a habit of using its battery even when I'm not using it. If I let it sit not plugged in for a week, it will most likely be dead. However, I do like the user replaceable battery and the sd card slot, and its ability to deal with .pdf's and ebooks from any source (at least when I bought the Nook, the Kindle wasn't doing that all that well).

If I had to choose today though, I'd probably pick up the new Kindle.

3. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

Have recently looked at this myself (for a friend) and came to the following conclusion as relates to the current version of the two readers:

The Nook was going to be my choice if my friends tended to use public libraries and multiple sources for books. The Nook can read more formats natively and they could get free books from the library.

The Kindle has a larger support base and books seem to be slightly less expensive to buy on amazon.

I have friends with each and each are staunch supporters of their particular reader of choice (kind of like glock vs. 1911 folks - just to keep it gun related).

Good luck.

4. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

I have an iPad and love it. Since everyone has an app, including Kindle and Nook, I can buy from just about any book store.

5. The Math Teacher

Well of course I would rather have an iPad.
    Over $600 vs. under $200
    Life is about compromise.
    :wink:

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

She's got you well trained.

7. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

Saves $400 for a gun/accessory purchase. :)

8. RevolverDan

The only thing I can say, is that you will be limited by what titles are in the book store for the device you buy. This is the number one complaint that I hear from people with eReaders. I have friends that Nooks, Kindles, and the Sony Reader. They all pretty much work the same way. They only nice feature some have is downloading the books over 3G vs. having to sync to the computer. Pretty sure Sonys have to be sync'd, and Nook & Kindles have wireless built in. Other than that, they basically all use eInk displays and work the same with similar weight and battery life.

I think the Amazon store has the most titles today. B&N would likely be next in line. Sony isn't that great.

9. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

I went with a kindle - I didn't like that ribbon touch screen thingy in the nook.

and now that I have it.... :righton: NOT gonna trade it (except maybe for a newer, LARGER model)

10. The Math Teacher

:exactly:

11. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

I own a Nook. I say get a Kindle. It has a number of issues, the primary one being that it uses the previous version of the e-ink display. That means when you turn a page, the whole screen flashes an inverse of what it's showing, then black, then white, then shows the next page. It seriously made my head hurt until I learned to glance away between pages. It's also small enough the "Next Page" buttons are placed uncomfortably low on the side. The battery life is not as advertised either, more like 15 hours of reading with the lower display turned off than ten days. The buttons take an excessive amount of force to push and the degree of pressure needed using the "swipe" method on the touchscreen is wildly inconsistent. Opening up a new book when you have a lot on the device is painfully slow: forget typing in the name, you have to scroll one by one using up and down buttons on the touchscreen. Just idiotic. It's also a crying shame there's no option to display an ebook on the backlighted LCD screen for when you're bored in the dark, the one thing that could've given the Nook an advantage over the Kindle.

Verdict: It's painfully obvious that this thing is Barnes & Nobles' first attempt to make an ebook reader. I enjoy it, but I really, really wish I had just ordered a kindle and waited the month for new stock instead of driving down and buying a Nook from the store.

[​IMG]

Depends on how computer savvy you are.

[​IMG]

12. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I plan on getting a Notion Ink 'Adam'. Then I can use all of them if I feel like it, plus have a good tablet.

13. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

I have an Iphone. Same apps, pocket size, costs less.

Don't want the Iphone bill? Go with an Ipod Touch. Same apps. Same size. Costs less. Still works via wireless.

The nook and Kindle are kinda one trick ponies imho..

14. Hack Causality

Depends on your needs. I have an Android that covers my mobile internet. What I needed was a device with a big, comfortable display that can be read in the blazing Georgia sunlight that had a tremendously long battery life. It's also nice to have to never, ever worry about getting fingerprints off the screen, because the screen is never touched.

15. RevolverDan

I was in a different boat. I never read outside, and wanted a tablet for photography as much as a reader. Finger prints are no more an issue on the iPad than they are for the tens of millions of iPhones. It's nonexistent.

If you want to read outside or with polarized sunglasses on, the iPad will not cut it. Although I think price ruled it out for the purposes of this thread.

16. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

We have 2 Kindles. Bought them both the first week they were released. Love them both, the wife and I. Never have had an issue, have not found a book we can't get......love the price of the new releases on amazon at 9.99.....they work anywhere....would not buy anything else!!

17. spyd3r05

spyd3r05 Member

Get an android phone... (software nook/kindle/others//) take it with you anyways since it's a phone... more likely to use :)

18. oxfat

oxfat Member

Like Inkdaddy, we're a two-Kindle household. You can't beat the e-ink display (certainly not with an active display, imo). There have been a couple of times they didn't have a book I wanted on Kindle. Both times (one was "Lessons from Armed America") it was eventually uploaded for purchase. Amazon has a way to request that a particular book to be put into Kindle format. I don't know if it was my request, a boatload of requests together, or what. But they were made available. So I've been a happy customer. The thing about an eBook is that when you're traveling, you can take a whole bunch of books with you. This is especially helpful when you're in Europe, where the English book selection is limited. You can go into a book store looking for a new novel, and walk out with "How to Speak Cat" or some such.

There are two drawbacks to an eBook. First, books with a lot of references don't always format quite right. You can get references mixed in with the text if they're not careful when they put it into Kindle format. Second, when you're flying you have to turn them off below 10,000 feet. So you end up looking at the in-flight magazine for a while on every flight.

I don't know how it works on the Nook, but on Kindle, if you have a two-Kindle household like us your books can be on both Kindles at the same time. That can be handy.

19. Hack Causality

The Kindle doesn't have an airplane mode? The Nook does.

20. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

My wife has a new Kindle and loves it.

I have played with it a little and it's a nifty little gadget for sure. The screen impressed me because it does not glare but it would have been nice to have a back light so that you can read in the dark.

She also has the cover with the built in light in the corner. It works very well for bedtime reading for her.