Kind of a silly question

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by adarby84, Jan 6, 2011.

1. adarby84

adarby84 New Member

I have a customer that recently bought a motorcycle and bought a ninja sword to carry while he rides... :shock: I read through the new laws and it seems to me like this would be illegal without a GWL. Am I thinking right with this knife designed for defense with a blade over 5"?

2. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

:sly: :ninja:

I would say illegal without GWL

3. adarby84

adarby84 New Member

lol I couldn't find the ninja smilie anywhere. That is what I was thinking, but just didn't have the heart to tell him.

4. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Any blade designed for offense or defense and over 5" requires a GWL.

Now a machete on the other hand is not designed for offense/defense so that's a grayer area.

No arguing a ninja/samurai sword is a weapon.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

A motorcycle is a motor vehicle just like a car. A sword is considered just like a handgun. You can have a handgun or sword in any location of your motor vehicle, including your person, without a GWL, openly or concealed. He is totally legal.

However, if he steps off of the motorcycle in public without a GWL he is carrying a "weapon" without a license, which is a crime in our state.

OCing a sword on a motorcycle is the same as OCing a handgun on a motorcycle, no license needed as long as you don't get off of it in public. Beware of a LEO asking/telling/ordering you off the bike during a trafffic stop.

6. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Except maybe a little higher on the "Darwin Award" scale due to the risk of accidental impalement.

7. adarby84

adarby84 New Member

I never considered that aspect of it. I so still find it terribly amusing though and yes he does get off of the bike while wearing the sword in public which is all the better.

8. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member