Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the Kimber Solo in a Crossbreed MiniTuck holster. This Crossbreed is made for a Keltec P-11, the double stack 9mm.
As you can see in the image I reshaped the top edge and the Solo fits remarkably well in it. I was concerned about the kydex wearing my frame but it fits just slightly loose enough that it doesn't hurt the Solo. Notice that the sight channel is perfect for the Solo.
A Cross breed holster tightens on the gun when it flexes around your body shape so the gun is held very securely.
Since there is nothing on the market for the Solo yet, and it may be a while, the Kimber Solo works well with this rig.

I hope this helps someone. I used a standard Dremel to reshape the edge.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I'm assuming from the picture that you have more than one of these holsters? And is it crossbreed that you can buy different shells for the same backing or no?

I'm just staring at the picture and wondering howtheres anything but the force of your body on the leather holding it, as you can see that the trigger guard on the Kimber is nowhere near what's molded into the holster.

If you have a spare and you've already modified it with a dremel, why not remold the Kydex? Have a toaster oven?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty D said:
I'm assuming from the picture that you have more than one of these holsters? And is it crossbreed that you can buy different shells for the same backing or no?

I'm just staring at the picture and wondering howtheres anything but the force of your body on the leather holding it, as you can see that the trigger guard on the Kimber is nowhere near what's molded into the holster.

If you have a spare and you've already modified it with a dremel, why not remold the Kydex? Have a toaster oven?
One Crossbreed in the image is an earlier version, look at the difference in how they boned out the trigger area and even the slide are is now more detailed yet both feel the same with the KelTec or the Solo in them.
The trigger area is slightly larger but where they worked the inner trigger centers the Solo up perfectly.

Crossbreed sells the kydex shells alone, so one day when they are available for the Solo I may get one and bolt it on, but that may be a while before holster makers get dummy guns for the Solo. Right now and for several months to come, you are lucky if you can find a Solo to buy. For now, Solo holsters are **NOT available anywhere** I am just suggesting that I found quite a few alternate holsters that **are available* now, others may even have something already and I am just tossing this out so Solo owners can have a holster between now and when they become available.
I have a larger post to make up with *9* available holsters, and concealment devices that work well with the Solo.
fwiw, I do not sell holsters, I'm just trying to help people who get this gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Sounds good! Whatever works well! I was just thinking that if you were already willing to take a dremel to the shell (and could get a replacement if need be) you might be up for remolding the kydex yourself! You're obviously a hands on guy and not afraid to do your thing. You already have everything you need, just take the shell off of the leather, throw the kydex in a toaster oven until it's pliable and mold away!
 

·
Old Time Member
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
I don't know how you are able to get a proper firing grip on that gun...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheLaw said:
I don't know how you are able to get a proper firing grip on that gun...
please elaborate, I can't comprehend what you are implying? It feels just like a 1911, the 1911's I have seem to work well. The Solo is actually most like a 1903 Colt hammerless. As shown in the attached image, this one is another of my own guns of course.

 

·
Old Time Member
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
I'm not referring to the gun. It's the holster I was speaking of. When coming in to grasp the firearm, you should be able to get your fingers wrapped around the grip of the gun with your shooting hand, as you draw the weapon from the holster. A shooter should not have to adjust his grip after he has cleared the holster. The kydex seems as if it would hinder a good firing grip.

It was really an observation more than anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty D said:
Sounds good! Whatever works well! I was just thinking that if you were already willing to take a dremel to the shell (and could get a replacement if need be) you might be up for remolding the kydex yourself! You're obviously a hands on guy and not afraid to do your thing. You already have everything you need, just take the shell off of the leather, throw the kydex in a toaster oven until it's pliable and mold away!
very interesting, I do have something in mind for the Solo but I won't say just yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheLaw said:
I'm not referring to the gun. It's the holster I was speaking of. When coming in to grasp the firearm, you should be able to get your fingers wrapped around the grip of the gun with your shooting hand, as you draw the weapon from the holster. A shooter should not have to adjust his grip after he has cleared the holster. The kydex seems as if it would hinder a good firing grip.

It was really an observation more than anything.
I understand, that is why I cut the top edge back. This is a really neat carry with the Solo.
The grip sticks out just above my belt line. I wear the mini tuck at 4:00, the Cross breed is the most comfortable
holster for me. I have about 5 Crossbreeds for 1911's and others but they are really an all day walking, driving or what ever holster. One of a very few that doesn't hinder you when you drive a long trip. And that dang seat belt mandated thing doesn't get in the way of my gun or holster.

I hate seat belt devices that will actually push a gun up out of the holster. The CB took me completely away from that gun pushing seat belt thing, I'm not a big fan of Gov't mandated safety stuff anyway but especially when it pushed my gun out of the holster or unsnaps my holster snaps.

The gov't doesn't have to protect me, I can do that all by myself.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top