Kimber pro carry II...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by rabbivj, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

Im thinking about trading in my Taurus pt1911 to get a Kimber pro carry II. Who got one and what are yer thoughts on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

2. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

You didn't like Kimber when I was thinking about one. What happened?

3. ga_trucklvr

ga_trucklvr Member

:popcorn: This ought to be good!!!

Just got a Pro Carry II in 9mm SS delivered last week. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet....... :( Place I got it from sent me wrong mag for extra and I cannot find one locally. Probably have to go to web again to get it. Gun is built solid and is very tight. I will give shooting report as soon as I can get to range.

4. rabbivj

Well...I can't get a springer...and I've reread some reviews and I think im gonna take the dive.

5. rabbivj

And my gun club is giving me a deal on one so I cant pass it up.

6. hkdave

hkdave New Member

Hold the sig 1911 rcs while you're at it. I set out with a Kimber in mind too, rcs felt better for me.

7. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I hear you. If I could have found a great deal on a Kimber, I might have bought it instead of the Daniel Defense. Be sure to give us a review after you've shot it. :righton:

8. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

I carried a Kimber Pro Carry II for about 1.5 yrs. I loved it. It was just a tad heavy at the end of the day but shot extremely well.

I traded it to buy the SR9c and haven't looked back. Why? I wanted a lighter gun in a, still, effective caliber that was cheaper to practice with. I love the .45 and the 1911, it was just too expensive to shoot as much as I wanted to. The 9mm is a bit better in that regard.

On the flip side, were I to get a good pay raise, I'd likely have another PC II. They're great guns.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Rabbi: You already have a full-sized M1911 pistol.
    So you're thinking EDITED: trading.... for a slightly different model that has... what new features that you consider important advantages?

I can think of just a few:

1-- An inch shorter in length makes it slightly easier to conceal and draw from concealment.

2-- Losing that inch of steel from the barrel and slide will reduce the weight by several ounces.

3-- The "Kimber" name makes people bow down out of respect, and "Taurus" is to guns what "Mazda" is to cars. Most people are OK with the brand, but some hate them, and almost nobody is head over heels in love with them.

Here's what you AREN'T getting:

A.) a different or more durable or more attractive finish.
    B.) a shorter grip frame (Officer's Model size) which to me really makes the pistol conceal better. Ditto for a bobtailed frame.
    C.) night sights, or any other low-light sighting system (laser?)

I think you're on the right track, but I also think you could do better if you want the most carry-friendly M1911.
    Just my two cents' worth.

10. rabbivj

Re: Re: Kimber pro carry II...thoughts?

I guess im kinda confused, so yer saying that im getting more advantages with going with the Kimber?

Well I want concealibility, i did fondle the Sig RCS at my gun club, its kinda out of my price range, im getting the Kimber for below MSRP. its prolly gonna go to Ott gun works to get a trigger job and an ambi safety (im left handed/left eye dominant) I might get it bobtailed, not sure but I prolly will get night sights on it (prolly an ameriglo front optic and maybe trij rear sites...not sure) what would you all suggest instead of the PC II for a price range of 800-1000? i looked at a springer loaded champion, however they are very hard to get from my understanding...

11. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

If you want a 1911 that can give you an edge with concealment and give you enough new features to make it worth the $$$ you might want to consider the Sig Sauer RCS. Just saying.

I had a Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless before I bought my TLE II full size and while I enjoyed being able to easily conceal it I did not enjoy the weird guide rod bushing system that they use on the bull barrel. I traded it to a guy I work with for his 1943 M1 Garand. I don't like having to have a tool to field strip my weapon... even if it is a "paper clip."

12. Cagleicious

Cagleicious New Member

I've had mine since July, has the night sights, slim grips etc.. I would like to do a few minor mods to it but nothing out of the ordinary.
    Not sure if I would like a Sig better but maybe equal, & only one I like more personally is a Wilson but they're a tad out of my price range at the moment.

As a side note, i'm 5'10" and all of 150lbs & I conceal this everyday. I switched from a Subcompact SAXD & like hiding this waayy better.

just my :2cents: on the matter.

13. js415

js415 Active Member

Rabbi,

I traded into a Pro Carry II, in all black, this week.

I normally carry a G19, IWB. This Kimber really carries very nicely.

It is about the same physical size as a G19, only slimmer. Of course, not nearly as much ammo in the mag, but I am carrying an extra mag.

It has TruGlo night sights, and has been shot a good bit, but it is nice to carry.

You are welcome to shoot it if you want. I would even let you have it and my holster for a few days if you want, just to give it a try out.

I bet I can trust you for a couple of days!!! :D

PM me if you are interested.

Jerry

14. hkdave

hkdave New Member

My rcs was 970, sounds like it is in your range... Except tax I guess

15. rabbivj

Re: Re: Kimber pro carry II...thoughts?

Was it used? At my gun club they wanted 1300...which iirc is msrp.

16. hkdave

hkdave New Member

No that's new. At nick's / ga firing line. That's a ripoff, just search on google shopping for price info to get an idea.

17. rabbivj

gotcha. ill have to head up there on friday/saturday.

18. hkdave

hkdave New Member

I'd call I got the last one but I know he was ordering more. (Dan) he is on the forum too

19. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Well, I know this is contrary too, but I had a Kimber that went back to the factory three times and now belongs to someone else who has had nothing but issues with it.

I suspect this is one in a few Kimbers that had issues. I now own zero due to the pain I had with a Kimber, left me with a bad taste.

Don't base your choice on my post. Just one of the select few that a got a bunk Kimber. Overall, I like them...jackwagon on the phone really took me for a ride.

Ended up replacing it with a SIG and I am still smiling. :D

20. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I had a Pro Carry II and it was a fine. Went bang every time, more than accurate enough, but I wasn't a fan of that captive recoil spring and the fact that you had to have a paper clip to take it down. Sold it. Now I only have a full size 1911 with a standard recoil setup and I carry Glocks.