Key State Firearms Case Laws

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by GregC, Aug 4, 2020.

1. GregC

GregC New Member

I just created another thread similar to this one, but wanted to keep them separate due to the scope. What are the key State of GA case laws pertaining to firearms and 2A related that has shaped where we're at now with our current laws here?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

We "used to" have a highly visible page full of collected caselaw from the Georgia appellate court system, and some federal cases, about guns and gun rights. However the newest version of this website has that page hidden and you have to know the address to type in your search engine to get there.

georgiapacking.org/caselaw

Finally, The moderators and administrators here have not allowed anybody to add to this page for a long time,
    so the newest cases are something like 10 years old.

But it's still very useful; some of the most important cases are 25, 50 and even 100 years old.

GregC likes this.

3. gunsmoker

AA654D4A-5655-4A5D-9FBE-6801E1093487.jpeg

My booklet on Georgia weapons laws does not cite caselaw, however, I have read most of the Georgia caselaw about these topics and incorporated that knowledge into my book.

GregC likes this.
  4. GregC

GregC New Member

Thanks Gunsmoker. That's exactly what I was looking for. As you mentioned, I see it goes up to 2013. Are there any cases after 2013 that would be wise knowing?

5. GregC

GregC New Member

Where can I purchase a copy of your book?

6. GregC

GregC New Member

I just found it on Amazon. Thanks again.

gunsmoker likes this.
  7. gunsmoker

"Some" cases as recent as 2013 made it into that list,
    but other cases that users here at Georgia Packing have suggested to the moderators have not been included.
    This problem goes back more than 10 years.
    One such case is from the Supreme Court of Georgia,
    Benham vs. State from 2004.

It talks about the difference between the regular self defense law and the "defense of habitation" law which gives people in their homes and vehicles and places of business much more leeway in dealing with violent attackers.

https://law.justia.com/cases/georgia/supreme-court/2004/s03g1015-1.html

GregC likes this.
  8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

For something that would be of interest to many here, why can't it be updated?

9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I don't think there could be a better topic than "defense of habitation" at this point in time.

10. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

If you have a smartphone or tablet, look for an app called "FastCase" in your device's applicable app store. It has access to all the statutes and caselaws. You can do keyword searches or search by code section and it will list every caselaw that code section is quoted in.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The creator and former owner of this web site was very conscientious about keeping up the content and managing the site. He sold the site in 2013. The new owner posted for a short while. I have not been watching for him, but I haven't seen him post in years. Other than some of the moderators who occasionally do moderator stuff (and I assume they do not have hosting privileges), this site is pretty much on auto pilot.

12. moe mensale

I hope "backups" is on auto pilot and working properly too. Last year, Florida Shooters Network took the "big dump" after many years of minor crashes. 15-20 years of irreplaceable history and knowledge forever lost.

13. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

The evil empire has it all but G don't share.

14. skynet

skynet Subjugating Humanity

Don't worry. I have you covered.

15. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Now I really am worried.:hide:

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Less so than I.

Nemo

17. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure.

18. moe mensale

You better. Or I'll take your birthday present and shove it sideways up your......USB port. :mrgreen: