Kennesaw Gun Law

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by glockgirl, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Foul

Foul New Member

I might have to visit Cobb County and say "howdey" to Mr. Myers!

For the most part, a nice article!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They fail to mention the other ordinance banning guns in violation of state law . . .

3. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I think pickups full of drunk teenagers flying rebel flags as they cruise up and down Barret Parkway on Friday night would pose a much greater problem for Kennesaw's image.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wildman Dent Myers

Wildman's place is 50% about Civil War history and 50% pure racist trash, with lots of KKK stuff and similarly-offensive material there. The AJC.com didn't mention that angle this time, although they have covered his racist views (and racist products he sells) in past articles. This is something you ought to know when deciding whether or not to visit his shop, or who you should invite to go with you there!

5. ForeverInDebt

ForeverInDebt New Member

Re: Wildman Dent Myers

Have you been there? I have. Mr. Myers is not "racist trash". His business does include a cross section of GA history, including that of the Klan. He is an honorable man, with two guns on his hips.

Trash can be applied equally across citizens of this State.

6. gunsmoker

Southern History

Oh, gee, I'm sorry if I don't have an appreciation for such fine historical artifacts of Southern antebellum culture as the "Running N_____R" rifle target. Ditto for books and pamphlets written in modern times, in the last 20 years or so, explaining how the jews and blacks are (present tense) ruining this country. Yeah, there are some historical documents and artifacts there, and people can learn a lot from visiting the place, but they can be offended and disturbed by a lot of it, too.

Nobody should be advised to go there without a warning about that neo-Nazi and Klan stuff.

7. ForeverInDebt

ForeverInDebt New Member

Re: Southern History

It's the liberal types that are offended by and require a warning for free speech. Shouldn't speech stand on it's own?

[​IMG]

8. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Geez Guys!!!!

If I am not mistaken we still have freedom of speech and expression in this country. If someone opened a buy and burn the flag store in this country what is the difference? Prejudice has been around since the beginning of creation, so why is it any different today. Our biggest weapon against places that we feel are bad is DON"T GO THERE!!!!!!!
    :soapbox: :rant:
    Take care,

9. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Southern History

Gunsmoker, I just want to clarify. Are you saying you have been to his store, and he has this exact stuff there?

Foreverindebt, if what Gunsmoker states is true (and I do not know, as I have never been there), then the proprietor is not an "honorable man," as you suggest.

tj2000, freedom of speech? Is the government attempting to regulate his free speech?

10. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

RE: Freedom of speech!!!!!

NO. Not only the government but the people are regulated by the constitution and it's amendmants. All I was trying to say is no matter how people want to express themselvs whether we agree or not they still can and are protected not only from the government but also the people. Again if we as a people do not like what someone is selling or saying, we don't have to go there or listen. :oops:

I hate political correctness!!!!!!! So there I said it and I feel much better.
    :D :D :D :D :D
    I don't like what Wildman promotes either so I havent gone back there in over ten years.
    Take care,

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I have been in this store about 6 years ago when I first moved to GA. I lived about 5 minutes from downtown Kennesaw! LOL It has been 6 years since I have been back in there.

Anyways, when I was there, yes there were the mentioned objects there. My ex-father inlaw was a civil war reinactor (SP). He had a few things worth the visit if you are into that. However there were certain products I didnt really agree with, but thats his (owner) business not mine. He was curtious and friendly to us. Just my .02 cents

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

ForeverInDebt, I think what gunsmoker is getting at is that people should know up front what all is in the store.

One can be offended by speech, but be willing to protect it.

13. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

That's how I took it. I know I would like to know ahead of time so that I can use my right of not participating in something that promotes racism or religious persecution.

I'm also not into slandering people or prepetuating rumors; I would like to hear the answer to MP's question.

14. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

This just gives me goosecicles$$$$$$

Now thats what I'm talkin about, a republic in action. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Take care,

15. Malum Prohibitum

Re: RE: Freedom of speech!!!!!

I am afraid I do not understand what you are saying here. If someone goes on the steps of Congress and calls politicians every name in the book, then they cannot stop him because of freedom of speech. If he shows up on your front doorstep and calls you every name in the book, you can throw him of your front steps and silence him quite nicely.
    There is no violation of his "freedom of speech."

In the same vein, if I strenuously criticize some racist, I have not done anything to violate his freedom of speech.

16. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Action is speech!!!!

Malum,
    I would agree to all you said but the difference between my door step and the steps of congress is my step is owned by me and they would be trespassing on my property (theoretically). Besides I didn't talk about actions taken because of the speech other than walking away or not going there in the first place.
    I did not want to imply that Wildman is being critisized all I am saying is don't spend your money at places that don't fit your opinion.
    This is the reason it is hard to reply the way I feel because expression is hard to write and can get misunderstood to easily.
    So with that I say peace my friend. \:D/

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I appreciate Gunsmoker's post. Just reading the article, like Foul, I also thought about visiting the guy's shop. After reading this thread, I've decided against it. The article should have included information about his racist attitude and items for sale.

I fully agree he has the right to his ideas and opinions as well as the right to speak them freely. That doesn't mean I have to agree with, or listen to, him!

One of the (few) things the nuns taught me that made sense had to do with name-calling, intolerance and hatred. They said no one can make you feel belittled or bad about yourself unless you allow them to. Argue with them or ignore them, but don't let them get to you. I still think that's good advice.

18. Foul

Foul New Member

Very true. A word has power only if you allow it to.

I'm on the fence about visiting now. If it's presented as history, that's one thing. If it's pushing an agenda, that's something else.

19. gunsmoker

Been there in person

I've been there, in person. Who knows, I may have even been photographed by "The Neighbor's Network" hate-group watch organization which I have seen doing surveillance of Wildman's shop. This was about a decade ago, but Mr. Meyers was a full grown adult then too, and I don't think his attitudes have changed much.

Yes, he had the "Running N-----R" target, and a bunch of white supremacist literature that was modern, not historical, and not all Klan-sponsored either. Of course he also had really cool reproduction Civil War uniforms, and some orginal 150 year old relics, and other odd and interesting stuff. Just FYI.