Ken Class 10/13-14

Discussion in 'Training' started by mswicord, Oct 14, 2007.

1. mswicord

mswicord New Member

How did the class go?

Any pictures?

Mark

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

It went great, I learned a lot and look forward to practicing at the range now that I better understand some of my issues.... (Shooting issues... :D)

I'm too tired to type in more at the moment...

3. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The class went good. The first day was cooler than the second but longer.

Again a great bunch of guys, Lawson Number 1 is a smart ass but that was about it. :lol: His brother on the other hand was a very good guy!!

Everyone did well, safe, listened and I think everyone improved their shooting skill. As usual we did a variety of things that most people do not have the ability to do at ranges. Shooting moving, laying down, sitting, roll over, cover and concealment.

Then night befell upon us (later than I thought it would) and we did some low light shooting, tested carry loads in low light for muzzle flashes. Tampered with various flashlights and techniques, advantages to the different types of switches and brightness of the bulbs.

Then we sat up a jungle run the brush using 12 steel targets that appeared along the route and had to be neutralized.

Then someone had to go to a birthday party they (oooop's) forgot.

:lol:

4. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Great.......

I cant wait to see Ken's new range....and shoot at night....

I bet it was not as hot as the Aug. class.

5. Claire

Claire New Member

yeah - sounds like fun!

any pics?

6. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Yea I got pics, will post a few tomorrow. Seeing how they are all secret squirrels I will have to blacken the faces out though. :lol:

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Hell isn't as hot as the August class.

8. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

[​IMG]

One of the movement drills they did.

9. larz

larz Member

That's "Larson" aka "larz"......and I'm dissappointed in your comments....I thought we really bonded out there :cry:

Great class, if you have only shot at the range it'll really open your eyes as to what other things you have to think about in a gunfight. At the range the only thing you think about is primarily Trigger Control, which is very important! However, add movement; both you and your target, finding cover, talking, changing mags, etc. It's a whole new world.

Of course, if you shoot a .45, all of this is not important as the BG would probably just faint at the site of your weapon. :lol:

I would recommend this class for those who want to take it to the next level. I plan to take the Carbine class even though Ken will be teaching it.... :p

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:righton:

11. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I'll be saving up for one of these classes!

12. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I shot over 1100 rounds thru my 21sf without oiling or cleaning it. Not a single issue....I'd like to see a new $500 1911 do that. :D

13. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

You just can't be a Glock for reliability :D That is impressive with .45acp as it is very dirty ammo compared to other pistol calibers that I shoot regularly. How did the other brands hold up in your class?

14. larz

larz Member

XD-9 SC, two 226 Sig's, Blackwater and Navy, S & W MP, and 1911 High-Point...the Sig Blackwater had to be lubed...other than that no gun-related issues. We didn't throw our guns in the dirt and stomp on them like Ken did with his Glock 19 though.....he's so dramatic.....

15. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

When I took Ken's class in Carrolton the pit was really fine sugar sand. It got into everything, dropping mags on the ground over and over again and picking up used brass to force jams got all kinds of crap into my G34, most of the guys did okay with the dirt. There was one 1911 that showed up with a pre-existing condition and didn't fare too well. I think spending that much quality time with your weapon helps you build a lasting respect for it. After shooting many, many different weapons I have to say that Glock and Sig impress me the most for their reliability. While I have shot many I have only spent significant time wth these 2 brands and a couple of others that I don't find to be reliable enough for defensive use.

16. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

GunNut, already did it. $500 Springfield 1911, no cleaning, mags drug through dirt, gun in dirt, holster in dirt, dirt turned to mud at points, etc.

Only issue I had was when I didn't seat the mag fully.

17. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Wow, I'm impressed....

18. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Ken,

In class you mentioned that it was a good idea for anyone carrying a firearm to have some sort of liability insurance and that the NRA offered it. I believe I found the one you were referring to from the NRA.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/selfdefense.asp

I thought you mentioned another one as well.

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What class did y'all take? Was it Fighting Pistol? I want to take that when spring comes around.

20. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yes, the Fighting Pistol. It is a great class.