1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I really like the idea, and its a very intriguing gun. That being said, .22 WMR is nearly as expensive as centerfire pistol calibers, and the ballistics on it from a pistol are barely better than .22LR.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,109 Posts
I like the idea of this as a hiking / survival pistol. Light gun, light ammo, and even if you forget to take a box of spare ammo with you, the gun itself holds 30.

EDITED TO ADD: Yeah, as drtybykr said below, it will be LOUD. That's a plus in my opinion, for an emergency signaling scenario. If I were lost in the woods, I might pop off a couple sets of 3 rounds in a row whenever I thought rescuers were within hearing range.

I like the idea of this gun as a home defense weapon for a beginning shooter who is also very recoil-shy (of course not all beginners are). Naturally .22 magnum out of a handgun barrel is not going to have a lot of knockdown power, but it should have good penetration and if you hit the right structures in the opponent's body, you'll get the results you need. It's all about bullet placement. And with a fast-firing semi auto that holds 4 times as many rounds as most normal handguns, you can put two rounds center-of-mass in the same time another shooter with a hard-recoiling gun would only get one hit.

I have never seen the PMR-30 in person, though. I'd like to rent one and shoot it at some indoor range in the Atlanta area if such a place bought one for a range rental pistol.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not very familiar w/ the round (22 WMR) - is that normally a rifle round? I mean, I know it's rimfire but that's about it. We had a Ruger Single Six growing up that had a .22 LR cylinder and a ".22 mag" (that's what we called it) cylinder that we never used. I guess that's the same round?

As far as the cost of the ammo it looks like a box of 50 shells (CCI Mini Mags are recommended by Kel Tec) is around 9 or 10 bucks. So yeah, more than .22 LR for sure but still a lot cheaper than what I shoot now (.45 ACP or .44 spl).

I have had no issues out of my P32 (except once when I used cheap, crap ammo) so I am definitely considering this. Looking on gunbroker it looks like there still aren't many out there so they are a little spendy for me but we'll see. MSRP according to Kel Tec is just above $400 but it looks like there is a premium on top of that right now (that is completely based on gunbroker though).

For me this wouldn't be an HD weapon or anything - just a toy basically, something to take to the range. I think it would be a good one to toss in a backpack in a SHTF type situation but that's not really my main interest in this. It would be something that I could let my wife shoot (if I could ever get her to the range) to learn on though.

I read some reviews and it seems that there were some issues with the first batch but the more recent reviews seem to indicate that the bugs have been worked out.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you get one READ THE BOOK. There is a set way to load the mags. If you dont load it the way the owners manual says the gun wont feed.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,109 Posts
If you want a .22 range / plinking gun, I suggest a .22LR instead of the .22 magnum. The magnum ammo is 3 times the price and gives no real advantage for plinking or target shooting, unless you're going to use your pistol at various distances out to 150 yards. If you limit your pistol plinking to 50 yards, .22LR will be best. The .22 magnum (WMR) was made for hunting. It has a real copper-jacketed bullet and out of a rifle barrel it will reach nearly 2000 f.p.s. muzzle velocity, compared with about 1200 for a high-velocity long rifle. Out of a handgun, the bullet will lose a lot of velocity, but that PMR-30 looks like it's got a long enough barrel to burn enough gunpowder to get a decent velocity boost over the .22LR

·
Registered
145 Posts
I saw one in person a couple of months ago up at Benton Shooter's Supply. It's ugly. The grip is very large in relation to the rest of the pistol. The slide is very small(think pocket pistol height) and it just doesn't like the upper and lower halves are part of the same gun, but I don't really care if a pistol is "pretty" as long as it functions. I think it would be a good pistol to have for hiking, fishing, or what not in areas with a lot of coyotes. The round should be more than capable of dropping a coyote, even out of a short barrel, and the capacity is a big plus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i bought one probably 4mos ago, shot maybe 500rds. had 2 ftf and 1 fte, gun worked ok overall but ergonomics were poor, and just kind of a goofy all around gun. 9mm's are just as cheap to shoot. traded mine off. just my .02

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a Single Six with a 22mag cylinder and it was LOUD.

One mag of this gun would probably cause hearing damage, but it looks like a blast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts