Kel-Tec PF-9

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Dan H, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Anyone here own a PF-9 that they would be willing to let me shoot? I am considering a pocket gun and like this one.
    Or do you know a range that has one I can rent?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I dunno, I called it that cuz you did...

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's a pocket gun. IIRC, it's the single-stack version of the P-11

5. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

I love the concept of Kel-Tec's product so much that I've tried it twice(P-11, P3AT)...it just doesn't come up to snuff in the reliability dpt. for me.

6. Malum Prohibitum

I dunno, I called it that cuz you did...[/quote:3rrrqbxt]

But I thought somebody corrected me . . . I have never seen one in person.

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Details?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Some people have had reliability problems with early Kel-Tecs. Mine has been great.

9. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Which one do you have?

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

My P11 has never malfunctioned and I've owned it for probably 8 years. Maybe a thousand rounds through it. Shoots 2" right of POA regardless of how I adjust the sights. :(

The PF-9 has too slim of a grip for my hands. Single stack mags only work in .45's :D

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I fooled around with one (the new 9mm) at the gun store the other day and was NOT happy with the slide release. I could not one handed release it... You had to rock the slide a bit and flip the release. I asked the gun shop guy about it and he said it was just "tight". On my glock and my boyfrieds Sigma I can easily release the slide with my shooting hand thumb so I think it is the gun and not just me. Guess it would only be a problem with fast reloads. I did like the size and feel in my hand. I would have to add a hogue grip but I want one on everything.

Dan if you find one to rent or try let me know I want to play with one too.

Are you thinking of selling your XD? If you do I'm all over it.

12. Dan H

Dan H New Member

hmm, maybe I will look at a Kahr as well for CC...

GG, not really looking to sell the XD and dont think I could get what I would want for it either, but willl let you know if I do sell. :D

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

For the record my P-11 9mm has been great and reliable.

14. Dan H

Dan H New Member

How much did you all pay for your P-11's?

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It was $244 dollars in 2005.

I bought an extra 10 round mag and later bought a flush fitting 12 round mag for it. The mags are $20 something dollars each, new, straight from Kel-Tec.

I will admit that it isn't the most fun gun to take to the range.

It's my primary carry. 12+1 rounds of 9mm ain't bad in a package that small.

16. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Held a PF-9 yesterday. I must admit I like it. Dissapears in the pocket way better than my j-frame plus I get 3 more rounds. I'm going to wait till all the bugs are worked out (sounds like most of them are) and get me one. The wife wants the j-frame anyway.

17. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

FTE, FTF, slide locking back mid-magazine, SEVERE bbl peening.

18. Dan H

Dan H New Member

So I held a PF-9 last night as well as the P-11 and P-3AT and must say that I thought the P-11 would be a lot smaller and would probably go for the PF-9 for deep concealed carry. It just makes more sense to go for a single stack if you are aiming for deep concealment, plus it fit my hand fine. It also seemed the quality was slightly better with the PF-9 (Even though it is a Kel-Tec) and it was actually cheaper than the P-11 too.

Anyways, this would be a nice gun to have for summer time, however I wouldnt carry it in the winter if I can carry something a little bigger and get away with it.

So I guess my next goal is to find a gun that I can live with for everything, including range fun, CC, and normal ergonomics that make you feel like its nearly a full-size gun...

I love my XD Service, but it is slightly too big for my idea of CC.

19. tace

tace New Member

That's why I got a XD Subcompact. Granted, unless you are wearing cargo pants, you can't hide it in your pocket but with an IWB holster, it just disappears.

With the 16 round mag the XD Subcompact shoots a lot like the full size (minus an inch of barrel). It will also take standard XD mags you already have. They sell easy on/off sleeves to flush fit, too.