Keep Guns Off Campus!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Someone please make the bad people go away!

Maybe, but doesn't that set a dangerous precedent? The authorities can declare someone a threat before a crime is even comitted?

So let's punish everyone by instituting a bureaucratic policy to require that law abiding, private individuals perform background checks, which would severely hamper private collectors from selling/trading.

I'd like to see some LEO input on how officers would react to a shooting, if for example an armed student reacted and subdued the threat. How would you differentiate? I know if I was the armed student, I would consciously comply w/every command until the situation is diffused. I'd much rather do this than hide under a desk and hope I don't get shot while the killing spree continues.

It's bad that this guy was put in such an awful situation, but honestly - I'm surprised that such a harsh lesson in reality didn't change his worldview in a different way, such as "I never want to be defenseless again."

3. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Yes. This is the worst possible time to be asserting your right to carry and defend yourself. Follow the officer's command to the letter, let him cuff you, and don't argue. It will all be straightened out in time. Better that it is straightened out without getting any unnecessary holes put in you.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Uh, the guy shooting cowering, screaming, begging victims is the right person to shoot. It is not all that confusing.

5. Malum Prohibitum

[​IMG]
    This guy probably is not just defending himself.

[​IMG]

6. groats

groats New Member

Of course it's a reaction. Unlike most of the others, however, it has a chance of working. Can you say the same about your "wishing away the bad things" solution?

So you say. I say allowing guns on campus WILL make it less likely.
    The people who plan and carry out these attacks still have the ability to think and plan ahead, obviously. So, if they knew there was a good possibility that the only fatality would be theirs, that might just be a good enough deterrent. Which is probably why very few people go shooting up a police station full of armed deputies.

7. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

+1

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

From the article:

False dilemma. The author presents the following choice:

1) we allow guns on campus
    or
    2) we look for way to stop the situation from escalating into a shooting to begin with.

He then goes to argue that #2 is superior to choice #1. But, his argument is :bsflag: because those are really 2 separate choices. You can do both, and that's really the correct answer.

9. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

The comments section is an entertaining read.

10. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

[s:4y58btas]Gun Free Zones[/s:4y58btas] Defenseless Victim Zones do not save lives. This has been proven over and over again, every single time it has been tried.

Fighting back with an armed response does save lives. This too has been proven every time it has been tried.

Firearms aren't the problem. Actions, and an inability to take action, are the problems.

As Suzanna Hupp said, "...but no one can argue that it certainly would have changed the odds..."

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Isn't this what the TSA does everyday?

Pure and simple, he's scared of evil guns. While you and I know he should instead focus on people and their actions, this guy has focused on an "object".

12. Malum Prohibitum

Well, we have all seen what a hotbed for violent crime Utah's college campuses have become. Now that students in Colorado won their lawsuit, they will become hotbeds of violent, armed crime again, too (they had a short respite when the University system adopted a no guns policy for a few months).

13. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Anyone else notice the similarities between "gun control" and the whole TSA thing?

(Rights Free Zones don't work either)

14. mpc

mpc New Member

This. When you take away the possibility of an equal and opposite reaction, you create bad physics.